The Student Room Group

Eastern Europe should accept these refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
I dont think I have to mention Romania's economy, we all know they are coming to the UK because they dont have jobs over there. Romania will not take them because they dont have jobs for them and they dont have benefits either. They dont even have jobs and benefits for Romanians. As for Ukraine... yeah, Africans and Muslims in Ukraine, Poland? Thats asking for trouble, those countries will not tolerate Muslims and Africans. And we dont need increasing Nazism in Europe. This is just fuel to the fire.
See, you've gone back to the argument of the economic migrant. Looking for the most benefits. I thought the idea of a refugee was to flee to safety, with the idea that they will return back to their home country when it becomes safe to live there again. This isn't the intention of many of these people. Romania and Poland are as much a part of the EU as the UK and Germany. These migrants say they want to live in Europe. There are many countries in Europe, not just two or three. Some countries may not be as accommodating of their religions as others but they're not going to be killed for their beliefs as they might back home, they're still safe, which is the objective of a refugee. I go back to my point: accept what they get and be grateful for it.
Original post by Veggiechic6
I think eastern European countries do let in migrants. The problem is that migrants aren't interested in living in Latvia, Estonia, Serbia etc. despite them being safe countries. No, they all want western Europe because they'll get more benefits, because apparently beggars can also be choosers with a shopping list of preferred countries. This is why quotas won't work; because migrants would simply refuse to stay if they were assigned to an eastern European country. I know people might disagree and say I'm being harsh but I really do think that if someone is genuinely fleeing for their lives and looking for safety, they should accept what's given by any European country (east or west) and be grateful for it.

You only have to take a look at what's been going on in Hungary to know this is true.
See, you've gone back to the argument of the economic migrant. Looking for the most benefits. I thought the idea of a refugee was to flee to safety, with the idea that they will return back to their home country when it becomes safe to live there again. This isn't the intention of many of these people. Romania and Poland are as much a part of the EU as the UK and Germany. These migrants say they want to live in Europe. There are many countries in Europe, not just two or three. Some countries may not be as accommodating of their religions as others but they're not going to be killed for their beliefs as they might back home, they're still safe, which is the objective of a refugee. I go back to my point: accept what they get and be grateful for it.

And I am going to go back to what I said: these eastern European countries are either too small to take in a significant number of refugees or too xenophobic to take in a big number of refugees (and the 'refugees' dont seem to be applying for asylum there either, so...) outcome will be that Western countries will take them. Im just saying that this crying about 'why isnt Eastern Europe' taking them is pointless because it is just not going to happen.
And I am going to go back to what I said: these eastern European countries are either too small to take in a significant number of refugees or too xenophobic to take in a big number of refugees (and the 'refugees' dont seem to be applying for asylum there either, so...) outcome will be that Western countries will take them. Im just saying that this crying about 'why isnt Eastern Europe' taking them is pointless because it is just not going to happen.
I've already shown you proof that there are plenty of eastern EU countries with populations big enough to accommodate plenty of migrants. The xenophobia is neither here nor there. Perhaps migrants should realise they're entering places with different cultures and religions to theirs and adapt accordingly, as you should if you're planning to live in a country (I'm not saying abandon your religious beliefs, I just mean you need to accept the status quo). I'm not crying about anything, I'm pointing out the unfairness of the current situation whereas you seem to be arguing that it's ok for western Europe to take on the burden because migrants are pressuring them to do so as they come in their floods, ignoring all the countries they're passing through.
I've already shown you proof that there are plenty of eastern EU countries with populations big enough to accommodate plenty of migrants. The xenophobia is neither here nor there. Perhaps migrants should realise they're entering places with different cultures and religions to theirs and adapt accordingly, as you should if you're planning to live in a country (I'm not saying abandon your religious beliefs, I just mean you need to accept the status quo). I'm not crying about anything, I'm pointing out the unfairness of the current situation whereas you seem to be arguing that it's ok for western Europe to take on the burden because migrants are pressuring them to do so as they come in their floods, ignoring all the countries they're passing through.

You dont understand what Im saying. All youre saying is 'migrants shouldnt pick and choose and should go to eastern Europe' but what I am saying is, they cant because they will not be taken in. Eastern Europe will not give most of them asylum, because as others have pointed out, they are 'Christian nations' (actually they atheist/non religious nations) so they will simply not agree to a big quota. I am not talking about whether migrants want to go there or not. They will simply not be granted asylum because of xenoophobia AND their own problems are too much already, end of story.

All I am saying is that crying about Eastern Europe not taking them in is pointless because they are simply not going to take them in, no matter how unfair you think it is. It is a pointless debate, beating a dead horse.
You dont understand what Im saying. All youre saying is 'migrants shouldnt pick and choose and should go to eastern Europe' but what I am saying is, they cant because they will not be taken in. Eastern Europe will not give most of them asylum, because as others have pointed out, they are 'Christian nations' (actually they atheist/non religious nations) so they will simply not agree to a big quota. I am not talking about whether migrants want to go there or not. They will simply not be granted asylum because of xenoophobia AND their own problems are too much already, end of story.

All I am saying is that crying about Eastern Europe not taking them in is pointless because they are simply not going to take them in, no matter how unfair you think it is. It is a pointless debate, beating a dead horse.

They haven't even tried to apply for asylum in these countries, they're too drawn in by western Europe's wealth. They refused to register in Hungary because they thought it would damage their chances of getting accepted by Germany, even though Hungary was happy to register them. Btw the UK hasn't agreed to a quota either you know...
(edited 8 years ago)
They haven't even tried to apply for asylum in these countries, they're too drawn in by western Europe's wealth. The UK hasn't agreed to a quota either you know...

Yeah they havent tried because they want to come to the UK. Even if they wanted to stay in Eastern Europe, they wont take them. We all know the UK is going to act like the charity it is and take them in, especially after that government petition signed by about half a million people, Im willing to get half of those people who signed arent from the UK at all. So basically the UK parliament is going to discuss something because the globe's citizens decided they should.
Yeah they havent tried because they want to come to the UK. Even if they wanted to stay in Eastern Europe, they wont take them. We all know the UK is going to act like the charity it is and take them in, especially after that government petition signed by about half a million people, Im willing to get half of those people who signed arent from the UK at all. So basically the UK parliament is going to discuss something because the globe's citizens decided they should.
I think a lot of it is an emotional response, triggered by the picture of the boy. Many people haven't really thought through the long term effects of accepting thousands of migrants, with many more thousands each day wanting to come. I said on a previous thread, what about the housing market, jobs, English ability, school system and NHS. Even David Cameron has done a 180 because of that picture. He said last week that taking more people wasn't the answer. Now, suddenly, it is.
I think a lot of it is an emotional response, triggered by the picture of the boy. Many people haven't really thought through the long term effects of accepting thousands of migrants, with many more thousands each day wanting to come. I said on a previous thread, what about the housing market, jobs, English ability, school system and NHS. Even David Cameron has done a 180 because of that picture. He said last week that taking more people wasn't the answer. Now, suddenly, it is.

David Cameron is such a weak little pussy. I swear he has no brain and no opinions. He just goes by the script that was decided by someone else. He doesn't even think about it.
David Cameron is such a weak little pussy. I swear he has no brain and no opinions. He just goes by the script that was decided by someone else. He doesn't even think about it.
Yeah, it's a shame he's bowed to the pressure. Part of the Conservative manifesto was about reducing all migration to the tens of thousands. It's currently at record levels and that's even before this latest announcement to let even more in.
Reply 30

This
Reply 31
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Don't worry when they get to Britain they will take one look at the place and realise that Britain is finished. Extortionate house prices and rents, rip-off trains, people dying because of the NHS because we are too soft to allow privatised health care, a nanny state government that says you can't eat salt or fatty food and taxes you for pretty much the air you breathe, with politics dominated by feminists, vegetarians, gays and liberals.

They will say this country is finished and leave for Switzerland or Hong Kong where they can enjoy a low tax low bureaucracy environment.

I don't disagree with your take on Britain.

But of course young men,which is what most of these people are,don't care about any of that.

Especially not when you left out that Britain has had,for many many years now,the 'cheapest'/ easiest women in Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending