The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Changes

Can someone tell me what's happening to maths and whether or not its going linear for examinations in 2017. People online are saying its not.(Confused)
Also one of the maths teachers said when you start the course on Monday you will need to decide AS OR A2 if you pick AS you cant to A2 and vice versa.
Is this true?
Please reply quickly...
The changes mean there will be no AS exams. You pick your subjects in year 12, and sit exams for the entire A level course for your subjects at the year of two years in year 13.
It's the same with all A level subjects not just maths. Hope this helps.
Original post by presiousrose
The changes mean there will be no AS exams. You pick your subjects in year 12, and sit exams for the entire A level course for your subjects at the year of two years in year 13.
It's the same with all A level subjects not just maths. Hope this helps.

Is that for those who are entering sixth form this academic year, for all schools? Sorry I'm not sure !
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Is that for those who are entering sixth form this academic year, for all schools? Sorry I'm not sure !

Yes it applies to those who are starting year 12 in 2015.
So you'd have to do all the maths modules C1-C4 in year 13?
Maths does not go linear until September 2017. You will still need to sit C1, C2 and your selected module at the end of year 12. Same goes for C3, C4 and your selected module at the end of year 13.
OP, don't listen to the above. Maths is one of the subjects that hasn't gone linear yet, so you will be doing exams at the end of year 12 that will contribute to the final A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
OP, don't listen to the above. Maths is one of the subjects that hasn't gone linear yet, so you will be doing exams at the end of year 12 that will contribute to the final A-level.

Edit: peanutbutterjam is correct
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it applies to those who are starting year 12 in 2015.

omg is there anything else changing along with the a-levels :frown: is this bad news for us that they're all in year 13 now :frown: please tell me :frown:
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Maths does not go linear until September 2017. You will still need to sit C1, C2 and your selected module at the end of year 12. Same goes for C3, C4 and your selected module at the end of year 13.

So what subjects are being sat in year 13 only ??
Reply 10
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
omg is there anything else changing along with the a-levels :frown: is this bad news for us that they're all in year 13 now :frown: please tell me :frown:

It explains it all on the exam board website if you to subject and then maths.
Original post by Kenzar234
Can someone tell me what's happening to maths and whether or not its going linear for examinations in 2017. People online are saying its not.(Confused)
Also one of the maths teachers said when you start the course on Monday you will need to decide AS OR A2 if you pick AS you cant to A2 and vice versa.
Is this true?
Please reply quickly...

Although Maths will be one of the subjects to be treated as a linear A-level with first teaching in September 2017 for examination in June 2019, it is often teamed up with the sciences. Biology, Physics and Chemistry will all three start the linear assessment teaching in September 2015, to be examined in June 2017 (although you could alternatively study a one year AS level which would not contribute to the A-level mark). Some schools might therefore require you to declare which subjects you intend to study for 2 years, and stream you accordingly, for timetabling reasons.

Bear in mind that over the last few years some schools have offered A-level Maths in one year, with the option to study Further Maths A-level in the upper sixth year. The current modular structure for Maths mean that schools can be very flexible with AS/A2 Maths/Further Maths topics, but will often have fixed views on what their exact offering will be each year.

Check very carefully with your school what they are offering for Maths - which board, which modules, AS or A2, taken when?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Holmstock
Although Maths will be one of the subjects to be treated as a linear A-level in September 2017, it is often teamed up with Biology, Physics and Chemistry, all three of which start the linear assessment teaching in September 2015, to be examined in June 2017 (although you could alternatively study a one year AS level which would not contribute to the A-level mark). Some schools might therefore require you to declare which subjects you intend to study for 2 years, and stream you accordingly, for timetabling reasons.

Bear in mind that over the last few years some schools have offered A-level Maths in one year, with the option to study Further Maths A-level in the upper sixth year. The current modular structure for Maths mean that schools can be very flexible with AS/A2 Maths/Further Maths topics, but will often have fixed views on what their exact offering will be each year.

Check very carefully with your school what they are offering for Maths - which board, which modules, AS or A2, taken when?

It might be a good idea to ask your teachers first because I was told by them that its becoming linear in 2015 (atleast chem and bio). Maths may be an exception. It's best to confirm with your teachers.
It might be a good idea to ask your teachers first because I was told by them that its becoming linear in 2015 (atleast chem and bio). Maths may be an exception. It's best to confirm with your teachers.

It's always a good idea to check with teachers what you can and cannot do at a specific school or college - there are definite differences in how different schools are implementing the reformed AS and A levels.
But maths is definitely not changing until courses that start in 2017 with first full exams in 2019.
The details if what changes when are given on this official web site
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Thank you guys sooo much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest