The Student Room Group

Where is music today heading?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
Lol I have not seen Straight Outta Compton. I don't like how he sounds. I don't like his lyrics. That's pretty much it. I just don't like him.

Its a wicked film though 😲
And lol I've never heard and of his songs. I'll check out the link.
Original post by JD1lla
Those who are saying music has gone down hill? I really disagree. It's just that there are more platforms for artists to achieve recognition. X factor type shows, Youtube, social media. You didn't have that back 20 years ago. Because there is more accessibility, there is a larger amount of sh*t to sift through before you find the good stuff. There is still absolutely quality music coming out.

This
Your not looking hard enough if you think music has gone downhill
There is other music out there you know lol. Way more variety and diversity in music today. And it's growing exponentially.
Reply 24
Original post by Vlammm
Your not looking hard enough if you think music has gone downhill

Hey! That's what I said! :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by Dodgey-10
When I look around and listen to the type of music that's popular today, it frustrates me. Yeah - 'each to their own' and all - but today's music is dire. All of the soul and meaning sucked out of the almost every of song.
Where have the revolutionary musicians gone?
The Beatles, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Tupac Shakur etc etc...
I'm sure they are out there, but they are not reaching the masses for one reason or another.
These people used music how it should be used, to try and get a message across to the people. It made them 'think outside the box' and challenge authority as we know it. Songs about love and spirituality. Standing up for the oppressed people and vying for peace / to change the world. I know it is a tall order, but I would rather people be listening to that than what they do today! Now all I hear today is lyrics like 'I wanna have shots with somebody, shots, shots, shots.
I'm all for music that's about having a good time / for entertainment purposes. However, when there hardly and artists / songs that have real meaning, that's when it becomes frustrating.
Music can potentially be equally as powerful than politics, IN MY OPINION.
This is why I feel so strongly about this ha ha.
Anyone agree? Or am I on my own here?:wink::biggrin:

Music's heading where ever you want it to head, if you don't like what you hear then you're not delving far enough. You don't see me eating at mcdonalds every night complaining that I've got diabetes when there's a farmers market across the road. Yagetsme.
Reply 26
Original post by Dodgey-10
ALMOST every song I said :wink:
All my point is that to millions of people, 'the charts' and songs with lots of airtime will be their only source of music and all they listen to, because it is considered 'up to date' and easily accessible
People shouldn't have to delve ha ha.

It's always been like that you fanny. Why would the casual listener delve when they're fed easy listening music directly to them?
Reading
Reply 28
Original post by Tom78
It's always been like that you fanny. Why would the casual listener delve when they're fed easy listening music directly to them?

My point is, they are being fed the wrong type of meaningless music. No need for the insult you creep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Electronic dance music rules the charts now :frown: It started to take over around 2011 and now (to me) all these EDM songs sound the same or very similar :unimpressed:

But I can't lie some are good!
Reply 30
Its making its way down town, walking fast, faces past and its home-bound ..tutodololololo
Original post by JD1lla
Those who are saying music has gone down hill? I really disagree. It's just that there are more platforms for artists to achieve recognition. X factor type shows, Youtube, social media. You didn't have that back 20 years ago. Because there is more accessibility, there is a larger amount of sh*t to sift through before you find the good stuff. There is still absolute quality music coming out.

like what? And don't give me a link to your cousin's indie band with 8000 views on youtube.
Original post by elliemayxo
[video="youtube;RKWb9MGtVmw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKWb9MGtVmw[/video] This is what real music is.

Love that white guy at 2:58, inclusivity at its finest.
Reply 33
Ultimately the point I am making is that, music with strong revolutionary messages is not reaching the masses. Instead, meaningless garbage is in the charts and dominates airtime on world wide radios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by mrno1324
like what? And don't give me a link to your cousin's indie band with 8000 views on youtube.

Do you want my sisters acapella group with 7m views instead?
I'm loving today's music. I literally have no song pre 2011 on my list :laugh:

Spoiler

Reply 36
The music industry has been dying since the late 90s due to the rise of the internet and free music. Now labels are only willing to promote carefully-crafted, marketable pop acts such as One Direction or Taylor Swift. As such the quality of popular music today compared to twenty years ago is simply poor. Perhaps in another ten years the industry will have developed a way to arrest its decline and things may begin to pick up again.

That's what happens when money comes before art!
Original post by mrno1324

In terms of debuts in the past couple of years - royal blood, moon kids, to name but two.

Music is probably in a better state than its ever been - the charts have always been full of bland rubbish but time has a filtering effect - just look at the chart for a random week in the seventies and see how many names you actually recognise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imperion
I'm loving today's music. I literally have no song pre 2011 on my list :laugh:

Spoiler

But only dubstep post-2011? You're missing out on its golden years.
Original post by e aí rapaz
But only dubstep post-2011? You're missing out on its golden years.

It's hard finding dubstep pre 2011 tbh :tongue: Shoot me a track.

Quick Reply

Latest