The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is there anything to do in Reading

Just had a look at "Things to see in Reading", among them was Reading Railway Station (?!) and a Statue of Queen Victoria, described in the one and only review as "A Statue of Queen Victoria".

'The Herb Farm' was also described as "A great place to make friends".

Is there anything to do in Reading?
Reply 1
Original post by J.P_Gruntfuttock

Best thing to do in Reading? Leave.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
It does depend on what rocks your boat.

There are the normal loads of clubs-come bars in the town centre

There are a couple of live theatre /music venues

It sounds terrible but the best thing about Reading is that it's handy for other places like Henley, Windsor, Oxford, London - all of which need a train/car
and it is very quick to "get into the countryside"
Original post by domonict
It does depend on what rocks your boat.

There are the normal loads of clubs-come bars in the town centre

There are a couple of live theatre /music venues

It sounds terrible but the best thing about Reading is that it's handy for other places like Henley, Windsor, Oxford, London - all of which need a train/car
and it is very quick to "get into the countryside"

Original post by J.P_Gruntfuttock
Just had a look at "Things to see in Reading", among them was Reading Railway Station (?!) and a Statue of Queen Victoria, described in the one and only review as "A Statue of Queen Victoria".

'The Herb Farm' was also described as "A great place to make friends".

Hello!

Your post made me laugh! Reading is no London, but there are things to do. I really enjoyed my time studying at Reading- of course this is biased and it is different for everyone, but don't write it off completely!

It is quite lively with many clubs and bars and there is a choice of different nights out. I really like the independent bars, cafes and restaurants in Reading. Tutti Frutti serves fresh Italian ice cream and sorbets where the menu changes daily, Cafe Yolk does amazing breakfasts and London Street Brasserie is very nice for dinner...etc. There are lots of different events that go on in Reading such as live music nights, poetry slams, dance classes and mini festivals that run in town (as well as the big Reading Music Festival).

The university campus itself is really lovely and green so its great for wondering around. The Harris Bee Garden is quite a gem and many people go throughout their whole time at university without knowing about it. There are of course lots of societies you can join whether it be mountaineering, (with a rock climbing centre not far from campus) anime, photography, poker or one of the sports societies.

Reading is well connected so you can just hop on a train for a day out somewhere else like London, Oxford or Henley which is very close.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, English Literature and History of Art
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Your post made me laugh! Reading is no London, but there are things to do. I really enjoyed my time studying at Reading- of course this is biased and it is different for everyone, but don't write it off completely!

It is quite lively with many clubs and bars and there is a choice of different nights out. I really like the independent bars, cafes and restaurants in Reading. Tutti Frutti serves fresh Italian ice cream and sorbets where the menu changes daily, Cafe Yolk does amazing breakfasts and London Street Brasserie is very nice for dinner...etc. There are lots of different events that go on in Reading such as live music nights, poetry slams, dance classes and mini festivals that run in town (as well as the big Reading Music Festival).

The university campus itself is really lovely and green so its great for wondering around. The Harris Bee Garden is quite a gem and many people go throughout their whole time at university without knowing about it. There are of course lots of societies you can join whether it be mountaineering, (with a rock climbing centre not far from campus) anime, photography, poker or one of the sports societies.

Reading is well connected so you can just hop on a train for a day out somewhere else like London, Oxford or Henley which is very close.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, English Literature and History of Art

Thanks, you've been really helpful and made me feel a lot better about the whole thing.
I'll definitely visit the bee garden, and I've made a list of the other things you suggested for when I get there.
....might also add....
* plenty of sports to play or watch (MadStad for quality championship football and premiership rugby; premier league hockey team; Bracknell Bees ice hockey; rowing at Henley; racing at Newbury and Ascot; and European level Ultimate Frisbee!);
* three of the best real ale pubs in the country (leave you to work-out where they are!);
* two very good museums (Town and Rural Life)....as well as a few other smaller ones;
* the Abbey ruins/Forbury (now being refurbished);
* some quality restaurants and plenty of bars/cafes;
* three or four theatres providing range of performances;
* walks beside (or boat trips along) the town's rivers (Thames, Kennet and Loddon)....and the University lake;
* cycling/walking in the surrounding hills (Chilterns and Berkshire Downs);
* The Oracle (I guess I have to mention that);
* the increasing number of independent retailers and cafes (have a walk through the Harris Arcade);
* Reading Climbing Centre or Paint-Balling at Mapledurham or the Reading Karting Centre or Riley's Snooker/Pool Club;
* the Roman Town of Silchester (the Archaeology Department's 'baby');
* guided tours of the West Berkshire or Loddon Valley breweries (recommended!); or
* The University Union on a Wednesday night (for the largest night club in Reading)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending