The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths and A2 Maths

My son has just started year 12 studying Biology Chemistry Maths and History. He is having second thoughts re History and is thinking of changing that to Further Maths up to AS then dropping and continuing the other 3 to A2. His sister told him that some universities do not count an AS of further Maths. He still does not know what he wants to study at uni. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice you can give him in helping to make his decision? Thanks.
Reply 1
Most unis absolutely do count AS Further Maths.

But usually the advice always given when deciding A-Level subjects is to do what you enjoy and what you're good at - so that's something only your son knows.

I didn't know until Upper Sixth (year 13) what I wanted to study at uni so it's not a problem - often what you enjoy at A-Level is what you go on to study at uni.
AS further maths does not really advance your mathematical understanding to be honest. It is only into A2 where you are really going to see the differences between Maths and Further maths. But that is just from my own experience.
Original post by MumIrwin
My son has just started year 12 studying Biology Chemistry Maths and History. He is having second thoughts re History and is thinking of changing that to Further Maths up to AS then dropping and continuing the other 3 to A2. His sister told him that some universities do not count an AS of further Maths. He still does not know what he wants to study at uni. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice you can give him in helping to make his decision? Thanks.

Hey,

It basically depends on the uni and more specifically with the degree.
If your son decides to do maths, or maths related subjects (e.g. engineering, economics) further maths will be helpful and is sometimes requested/required by universities. Some of the top unis, including Cambridge, would like further maths for some of these.
However, some medical courses don't count further maths as a separate A-level.
I'm not sure on the link posting rules so I won't put a link, but if you search FMSP their website tells you alot about what courses need or reject further maths.

In the end, like nucdev said, it depends on whether your son enjoys maths or not.

Hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest