The Student Room Group

What Universities could I get into for Law with these grades?

I really want to attend a Russel Group University, which I think I will get into, but how high should I aim?
I got AAAA at AS level
My GCSEs were 1A* 5As 4Bs.
I know that Oxbrige, LSE and UCL are out of the window because of my GCSE grades.
But do you think I could get into somewhere like Kings College London?
Or should I aim for a lower Russel Group University?
(edited 8 years ago)
Those are fantastic grades! :smile:
You definetely have a chance at a top university as your predicted grades will be very high
Don't worry about the GCSE grades, your AS ones are much more important
Original post by hudamh
I really want to attend a Russel Group University, which I think I will get into, but how high should I aim?
I got AAAA at AS level
I know that Oxbrige, LSE and UCL are out of the window because of my GCSE grades.
But do you think I could get into somewhere like KCL?

What is your UMS average for your ASs?

Aside from Oxbridge (unless your top 3 UMS ave >88%), I'd say that your grades could form the basis of a strong application to any university.
You should think about applying to Oxbridge with those AS Grades, I got 6As at GCSE and the rest Bs, and was invited to their summer school for Law as they took into consideration the context of my school, and I was predicted BBBB at AS. I think as long as you wow them in your personal statement/interview you should be fine. You should hopefully, very easily, get into a Russell Group Uni with those AS Grades, well done!
Original post by Law-Hopeful
What is your UMS average for your ASs?

Aside from Oxbridge (unless your top 3 UMS ave >88%), I'd say that your grades could form the basis of a strong application to any university.

I averaged 86%. Thank you for that!
Original post by tcameron
Those are fantastic grades! :smile:
You definetely have a chance at a top university as your predicted grades will be very high
Don't worry about the GCSE grades, your AS ones are much more important

Thank you. Nice to get positive feedback.
Reply 6
I'm currently deciding whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I know Oxford puts more emphasis on GCSEs while Cambridge on UMS points. For AS, I got AAAB (80% on average) and for GCSEs, I got 3A*s, 6As and a B. Will these grades be enough to possibly get into both? And if so, which one do I have more of a chance with?
Original post by hudamh
I got AAAA at AS level
But do you think I could get into somewhere like KCL?

If anyone has any experience with applying for a TOP Russel Group University, with similar grades, then please let me know how you got on.
Reply 8
Original post by hudamh
If anyone has any experience with applying for a TOP Russel Group University, with similar grades, then please let me know how you got on.

You can get into anywhere with those grades.
I applied for UCL with predicted grades AAB and all As at GCSE (tbh all unis ask for a minimum B grade at maths and English, I haven't seen higher), received an offer for AAA, it's all good.
Original post by Nmys
You can get into anywhere with those grades.
I applied for UCL with predicted grades AAB and all As at GCSE (tbh all unis ask for a minimum B grade at maths and English, I haven't seen higher), received an offer for AAA, it's all good.

Congrats on the offer! Where else did you apply?
Reply 10
Original post by hudamh
Congrats on the offer! Where else did you apply?

Bristol, Birmingham, Reading and Royal Holloway.
I got offers from all and I'm about to start at Bristol - my first choice.
Seriously don't dwell on this, it's really not an issue at all. The best and most important thing you need to do is to get good AS grades to get your offers, then work like crazy in A2 to meet your offers.
Original post by Nmys
Bristol, Birmingham, Reading and Royal Holloway.
I got offers from all and I'm about to start at Bristol - my first choice.
Seriously don't dwell on this, it's really not an issue at all. The best and most important thing you need to do is to get good AS grades to get your offers, then work like crazy in A2 to meet your offers.

Well done. Thats true. Thank you for the advice.
Original post by kgsj20
I'm currently deciding whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I know Oxford puts more emphasis on GCSEs while Cambridge on UMS points. For AS, I got AAAB (80% on average) and for GCSEs, I got 3A*s, 6As and a B. Will these grades be enough to possibly get into both? And if so, which one do I have more of a chance with?

Whats your average in the 3 As?
Reply 13
Original post by hudamh
Whats your average in the 3 As?

80% lol I dropped English lit which I got an A in and kept Maths which I got a B in but my B was 79% and I'm retaking C1 so my teacher said he'll definitely predict me an A. Don't think I can get into cam though- UMS is below 85% :// so I'm applying to Oxford- only need AAA for law plus my GCSEs are put into context so seeing as my school failed OFSTED inspection the year I took my GCSEs I think I have a better chance with Oxford. Probs won't get in but yolo!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending