The Student Room Group

How to say 'you're my inspiration' in French?

Hi,

I did a race today and I was inspired by my french exchange friend to do it. I want to send her a message saying 'Thank you, you're my inspiration!'

Would it be ok to say 'merci, tu m'inspires!' ? (I read somewhere that you only say that if you're really close to them expressing sentiment, so might have different meaning in french)

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Soffie
Hi,

I did a race today and I was inspired by my french exchange friend to do it. I want to send her a message saying 'Thank you, you're my inspiration!'

Would it be ok to say 'merci, tu m'inspires!' ? (I read somewhere that you only say that if you're really close to them expressing sentiment, so might have different meaning in french)

Thanks! :smile:

maybe: merci de m'avoir inspiré! = thanks for having inspired me
or: c'est toi qui m'a inspiré, je t'en remercie! = (it's) you (who) inspired me, I thank you for it

merci, tu m'inspires! doesn't really express what you're trying to say imo
Reply 2
Original post by beyknowles2
maybe: merci de m'avoir inspiré! = thanks for having inspired me
or: c'est toi qui m'a inspiré, je t'en remercie! = (it's) you (who) inspired me, I thank you for it

merci, tu m'inspires! doesn't really express what you're trying to say imo

thanks for replying, but for c'est toi qui m'a inspiré,
, do i need another e on the end of inspiré as its preceding direct object (i think)? Because I am female
Original post by Soffie
thanks for replying, but for c'est toi qui m'a inspiré,
, do i need another e on the end of inspiré as its preceding direct object (i think)? Because I am female

Nope :smile: 'C'est toi qui m'a inspiré' is the same as 'Tu m'as inspiré'. It's the perfect tense, but the auxillary verb used is Avoir so there is no agreement. I hope I've made that clear, quote again if not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending