The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

All I hope is Klopp can get out as much of the deadwood as quickly as possible and bring in his players in January so that they can use the remainder of the season to fit in. In all seriousness, given the time of this sacking, I really can't see a top 4 push this season but you never know. If FSG think Klopp is going to come in here and work miracles with little money then they're deluded.
Original post by welshieee
All I hope is Klopp can get out as much of the deadwood as quickly as possible and bring in his players in January so that they can use the remainder of the season to fit in. In all seriousness, given the time of this sacking, I really can't see a top 4 push this season but you never know. If FSG think Klopp is going to come in here and work miracles with little money then they're deluded.

the deadwood can result in £60m at most

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by welshieee

Do we really have that much deadwood bar Lovren though?
I feel like we just mainly have underperforming players and that can be changed.
A new manager could certainly get our players performing although it would be harsh to expect too much too fast.

Sturridge and Coutinho are our star players.
Henderson, Milner, Benteke, Clyne and Sakho are all solid first XI options.
So already that's 7 first team players who are definitely good enough to be in a top 4 aspiring side.
Moreno has certainly improved.
Mignolet isn't as bad as people think.
Firmino could turn out exceptionally; too early to tell.
Skrtel isn't a terrible defender; he has a few issues but at the same time he can have great games.

So actually our players aren't anywhere near as bad as people make out. When you consider we have players like Lallana and Ings on the bench too, I reckon a quality manager could get us very close to top 4 without even making a signing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 763
Original post by Lúcio
I love how overwhelming the news is the suggest Klopp will be our manager.

It's almost like the papers are preparing to troll us when it ends up being Big Sam.

I think it's because Klopp is available and FSG weren't likely to sack Rodgers unless they had a replacement almost sorted.

Don't forget that FSG wanted Klopp 3 years ago but he turned them down.

Ancelotti doesn't fit the FSG model and De Boer is at another club so unlikely that FSG would've sounded him out.
Original post by Zerforax
I think it's because Klopp is available and FSG weren't likely to sack Rodgers unless they had a replacement almost sorted.

Don't forget that FSG wanted Klopp 3 years ago but he turned them down.

Ancelotti doesn't fit the FSG model and De Boer is at another club so unlikely that FSG would've sounded him out.

True, it's just hard for me to get too optimistic just yet.
Would be classic Liverpool to give us all this expectation and then to hire an equal quality manager (or worse!)

It seems to me that if we can't sort something with Klopp, it'll be Ancelotti.
Surely if there were any other major candidates, somebody would have reported something?
Reply 765
Original post by Lúcio
True, it's just hard for me to get too optimistic just yet.
Would be classic Liverpool to give us all this expectation and then to hire an equal quality manager (or worse!)

It seems to me that if we can't sort something with Klopp, it'll be Ancelotti.
Surely if there were any other major candidates, somebody would have reported something?

I don't think FSG would've sacked Rodgers if Klopp hadn't informally agreed to take over.

@OptaJoe
51.6% - Brendan Rodgers has the second best win percentage of any PL manager for Liverpool (after Benitez, 55.3%). Departed.
I don't think FSG would've sacked Rodgers if Klopp hadn't informally agreed to take over.

@OptaJoe
51.6% - Brendan Rodgers has the second best win percentage of any PL manager for Liverpool (after Benitez, 55.3%). Departed.

i really hope you're right :smile:

Although that's an interesting stat and as weird as this sounds, i feel like it still plays in to the inconsistent manager theory.
It's skewed by the SAS season where we almost won the league - Liverpool in the PL have not been a title winning side so having a season where we win a very high proportion of games will in some part compensate for the season(s) where we've been bloody awful, making his overall stat look decent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 767
Original post by Lúcio
i really hope you're right :smile:

Although that's an interesting stat and as weird as this sounds, i feel like it still plays in to the inconsistent manager theory.
It's shewed by the SAS season where we almost won the league - Liverpool in the PL have not been a title winning side so having a season where we win a very high proportion of games will in some part compensate for the season(s) where we've been bloody awful, making his overall stat look decent.

Problem is that he draws 25% and loses 25% during his PL time.

Yea be interesting to see his win percentages per season.

2012/13 - 38 16 13 9 (42%)
2013/14 - 38 26 6 6 (68%)
2014/15 - 38 18 8 12 (47%)
201515 - 8 3 3 2 (37.5%)

Not that easy to read..
Problem is that he draws 25% and loses 25% during his PL time.

Yea be interesting to see his win percentages per season.

2012/13 - 38 16 13 9 (42%)
2013/14 - 38 26 6 6 (68%)
2014/15 - 38 18 8 12 (47%)
201515 - 8 3 3 2 (37.5%)

Not that easy to read..

Exactly; the top managers don't lose that often.
Precisely - he has one season where he wins 68% of the games which makes up for the other two which are below half.

In any case, i don't blame FSG for getting rid of him but i do blame them for the timing. It's a little confusing.
Perhaps Klopp wasn't ready to come before the season start and only now has he decided it's time?
Reply 769
Original post by Lúcio
Exactly; the top managers don't lose that often.
Precisely - he has one season where he wins 68% of the games which makes up for the other two which are below half.

In any case, i don't blame FSG for getting rid of him but i do blame them for the timing. It's a little confusing.
Perhaps Klopp wasn't ready to come before the season start and only now has he decided it's time?

Yea I think it's exactly that on timing. No one was prepared to join us in the summer (or perhaps FSG hadn't really sounded it out) whereas Klopp was quite clear he was taking a break.

So FSG are probably trying to be opportune by signing Klopp now but equally Klopp is probably thinking it's a great time to sign up while morale is low and the perception is we're in a crap position even though he'd join and have every chance to win any of the cups + potentially finish 4th with Chelsea a fair bit behind.

He'd get a bit more time to assess the players before making a few signings in January too.
Original post by Lúcio
Do we really have that much deadwood bar Lovren though?

Allen.
Reply 771
Mamadou Sakho's Merseyside derby:

37/38 passes completed
100% tackles won
75% headers won
7 clearances
1 block
Beast.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Allen.

Even then that's borderline.
It's not like he has been taking up a first team spot like Lovren - as long as it's clear he's a sub then I don't see a problem.

He's a tidy player and has been good when brought on this season. He just isn't good enough for our first team is all.
Mamadou Sakho's Merseyside derby:

37/38 passes completed
100% tackles won
75% headers won
7 clearances
1 block
Beast.

Behind Coutinho he's the player we need to keep a hold of the most.
Yes, ahead of Sturridge.
Yea I think it's exactly that on timing. No one was prepared to join us in the summer (or perhaps FSG hadn't really sounded it out) whereas Klopp was quite clear he was taking a break.

So FSG are probably trying to be opportune by signing Klopp now but equally Klopp is probably thinking it's a great time to sign up while morale is low and the perception is we're in a crap position even though he'd join and have every chance to win any of the cups + potentially finish 4th with Chelsea a fair bit behind.

He'd get a bit more time to assess the players before making a few signings in January too.

True, I'm not bothered as long as we get somebody quality in and it's clear to be a long term solution (that's why I'd be unsure with Ancelotti).

We're definitely in a position where top 4 is still a real possibility however I think as fans we need to make sure not to get our hopes up. Sometimes managers come in and there's an instant performance change. Sometimes there isn't.
We need to give the new guy time and not expect anything amazing this season.

The January transfer window will be interesting.
Original post by sr90
Reckon you'll get Ancelotti. You are below him, but where else can he go?

Chelsea were hardly a powerhouse when they brought him in.
Reply 776
Original post by Lúcio
Behind Coutinho he's the player we need to keep a hold of the most.
Yes, ahead of Sturridge.

Coutinho to Barcelona rumours have started :colondollar:

Well hopefully the new manager makes Sakho the corner stone of the defence. I'm a big fan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11911780/Brendan-Rodgers-news-Sacking-manager-could-cost-Liverpool-10m.html

Liverpool's decision to sack Brendan Rodgers just eight games into the new Premier League season could cost the club more than £10million.

Rodgers was dismissed on Sunday with almost three years remaining on a contract worth, including bonuses, around £5million a year.

Telegraph Sport understands that Liverpool owner, Fenway Sports Group, did not make any provision for the early termination of Rodgers’ contract when he was handed a new deal in May 2014 after narrowly missing out on winning the Premier League title.
Reply 777
Two things I'd look forward to if Klopp was appointed:

- Relationship with the press

I don't know what it was like when Houllier was LFC manager but the press did not like Rafa Benitez at all. I presume it was partly because Mourinho had been appointed the year before and the press LOVED Mourinho whereas Rafa was the opposite of him. Equally SAF did not like Rafa and everyone feared SAF.
The press loved Roy Hodgson but all LFC fans hated him and his bull****.
Kenny was very scathing when he was the manager with the press. I don't think he liked how intrusive they had become since he last managed.
The press generally liked Rodgers at the start. I think by this season, they were itching for a scalp so they could publish loads of articles about the sacking/new manager (like we're seeing now).

Klopp sounds a bit nuts so I think the press will LOVE him. No SAF to turn the press on him and Mourinho seems pretty spiky on his return. I think Klopp will give that crazy charisma that the press lap up.

- Pressing football

I'm a big fan of high pressing football and I think it suits a number of our better players the best. We have a lot of technical and slight players in the squad and I think pressing would compensate how we get bullied when we're sat deep. We saw a lot of it in 2013/14 with Suarez loving to press and Rodgers making the rest of the team do it but he didn't really ask for it during his other 2 and a bit years.
Original post by sr90
They were crippled by injuries last season too. Nearly all their key players were out for significant periods of time. Any manager would have struggled under those circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, I just said that?
Coutinho to Barcelona rumours have started :colondollar:

Well hopefully the new manager makes Sakho the corner stone of the defence. I'm a big fan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11911780/Brendan-Rodgers-news-Sacking-manager-could-cost-Liverpool-10m.html

Liverpool's decision to sack Brendan Rodgers just eight games into the new Premier League season could cost the club more than £10million.

Rodgers was dismissed on Sunday with almost three years remaining on a contract worth, including bonuses, around £5million a year.

Telegraph Sport understands that Liverpool owner, Fenway Sports Group, did not make any provision for the early termination of Rodgers’ contract when he was handed a new deal in May 2014 after narrowly missing out on winning the Premier League title.

It's happening eventually whether we like it or not; it's just a question of how long we can keep him for/how long before Iniesta retires. I know the bitter fans (mainly Arsenal ones) are saying he's nowhere near good enough for Barca but i'm confident that we know better than they do about this kid...
Any quality manager knows Sakho is potentially world class. The next guy will utilise him majorly in a strong Cb pairing after he buys us a new defender to replace Skrtel (please).

Very silly; you saw a similar thing with Pardew - had a great run with Newcastle, signed a MEGA deal and then it cost the club when they wanted rid of him. Owners should know nowadays how easily things can change. If you don't believe me just look at Chelsea - champions last season and look at them now. Same manager...
Anyway, the fact that it's a huge fee to pay means that surely they have somebody big coming in.
What's the point sacking Rodgers, paying out £10m+ and getting somebody like Monk or Big Sam in? It's just not worth losing the money imo.

Two things I'd look forward to if Klopp was appointed:

- Relationship with the press

I don't know what it was like when Houllier was LFC manager but the press did not like Rafa Benitez at all. I presume it was partly because Mourinho had been appointed the year before and the press LOVED Mourinho whereas Rafa was the opposite of him. Equally SAF did not like Rafa and everyone feared SAF.
The press loved Roy Hodgson but all LFC fans hated him and his bull****.
Kenny was very scathing when he was the manager with the press. I don't think he liked how intrusive they had become since he last managed.
The press generally liked Rodgers at the start. I think by this season, they were itching for a scalp so they could publish loads of articles about the sacking/new manager (like we're seeing now).

Klopp sounds a bit nuts so I think the press will LOVE him. No SAF to turn the press on him and Mourinho seems pretty spiky on his return. I think Klopp will give that crazy charisma that the press lap up.

- Pressing football

I'm a big fan of high pressing football and I think it suits a number of our better players the best. We have a lot of technical and slight players in the squad and I think pressing would compensate how we get bullied when we're sat deep. We saw a lot of it in 2013/14 with Suarez loving to press and Rodgers making the rest of the team do it but he didn't really ask for it during his other 2 and a bit years.

Absolutely no worry of Klopp not having a great press relationship.
The press in general are obsessed with us anyway; we're barely above the level of Spurs yet they're featured nowhere near as often as us. Like you said, it's the charisma that he has that is appealing to the media and the fans; that's partly why both are calling for him to come to Anfield.
He'd bring the passion and that's massive. When was the last time one of our managers dressed himself head to toe in Liverpool gear rather than a suit and tie?

I'm not really gonna talk too much about style of play. Yes i think our pressing is good and i agree that it would work nicely with many of our players. We scored so many goals in 13/14 as a result of our players (mainly Suarez) pressing and making opposing defenders absolutely brick it and make a mistake.
However our next manager will have his own vision, his own system and his own style of play. I'm happy to wait and see how he goes about it.

On a sidenote, would you be "content" to write this season off considering we've had a managerial change? I use the world loosely of course. Personally i don't wish to get my hopes up for a good season because the guy coming in barely has any time to get used to the team and will have had so little mental and managerial preparation.
If it's Klopp, not only will he need to adapt to our players, but he'll need to adapt to English football (not to mention relocating somewhere unknown too). It's a big ask for a top 4 finish imo.

Latest