The Student Room Group

i fewl down

I've started my as levels and am getting c/d grades. Idk if this is normal at this stage but idk how I can improve. I've emailed my teachers for advice. I think my main problem is making a timetable. But I just don't know how to make one. Let something always comes up. How far in advance should I make it? How can u tell what u will learn in an hour etc?

Like how did u guys deal with this? Genuinely need advice thanks

did that cheer you up? it always helps me when i'm down :h:
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
I've started my as levels and am getting c/d grades. Idk if this is normal at this stage but idk how I can improve. I've emailed my teachers for advice. I think my main problem is making a timetable. But I just don't know how to make one. Let something always comes up. How far in advance should I make it? How can u tell what u will learn in an hour etc?

I think you are still trying to get used to the jump from GCSE's to A levels. I was once like this as well. It will be tough at first but you will eventually get used to the rhythm of the workload and standard. Personally, I don't make a timetable based on time. I prefer to base on topics. For example I will set a target to finish notes on a particular topic by the end of the week. then try and do as many past paper questions so that you will get used to the exam style. What subjects are you studying?
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I think you are still trying to get used to the jump from GCSE's to A levels. I was once like this as well. It will be tough at first but you will eventually get used to the rhythm of the workload and standard. Personally, I don't make a timetable based on time. I prefer to base on topics. For example I will set a target to finish notes on a particular topic by the end of the week. then try and do as many past paper questions so that you will get used to the exam style. What subjects are you studying?

Biology psychology English language and literature and history
BUMP!
Reply 5

First of all, consider whether you're using your free time wisely. Do you have free periods between lessons where you can get some work done? Are you doing all of the homework tasks your teachers set? Personally, I wouldn't email them - go and speak to them face to face.

Secondly, You can make a revision timetable using TSR's tool:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/planner

Also have you considered maybe dropping a subject? This will help you concentrate on the other 3. 4 subjects aren't entirely necessary and so if you feel like you won't be able to manage, speak to someone at college about dropping one of them. Nothing to be ashamed about, many people do it.

Personally, the jump between GCSE and AS wasn't that bad - as long as you keep on top of the work, are making notes and keeping them organised and let the teachers know if there is something you don't understand!
BUMP!!!
Please somebody answerrrr!!!
Reply 8
Don't worry about it. Ask your teachers for help if you are struggling with it. Trust me they can help you the most at this stage.
I can't help with History or Biology but i did Psychology and English Language at AS last year.

Which exam boards do you do - it may help, i did AQA. For Psychology the thing i'd suggest is just to try really get an understanding of the topic and reading over notes before each lesson so your brain is always refreshed and ready and THINKING. For English (i personally hated it) but i'd really try to maybe do some practise paragraphs and just give them to your teachers to look at e.g. Practise using GASP and evaluating each thing - all subjects you have there are essay based (except biology) so the best thing to start improving is evaluative and analytical skills. However i really wouldn't worry too much about this at this stage it's all to be learnt, and the essays your getting back now will help you later in the year to see what you need to add - the teachers should tell you structures and points and help you out if you ask. But honestly the subjects are all hard (all alevels are) and it's only been a few weeks don't panic!! you'll progress masses soon enough - it's just the getting used to the AS level that is tough. I'm sure a lot of people are feeling the same and are in the same boat.
Please somebody answerrrr!!!

You've received perfectly good answers already. Use the revision planner mentioned in the posts above.
:biggrin:

[video="youtube;ZXsQAXx_ao0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest