The Student Room Group

A Level choices

Hi
I'll try and keep this short

I have been asked by my school to choose my A Level options. The two that I most keen about are Computer Science (which I am studying and doing quite well at in GCSE) and Maths (also doing well in it). However I need two other subjects to do. I know Physics would compliment these but the physics teachers in our school are not that good. Could someone please recommend two subject that I could study for A Level that would compliment Computing and Maths.

By the way, subject I hate and/or not very good at are: English, Biology, Physics, History, any tech and any art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharmacka
Hi
I'll try and keep this short

I have been asked by my school to choose my A Level options. The two that I most keen about are Computer Science (which I am studying and doing quite well at in GCSE) and Maths (also doing well in it). However I need two other subjects to do. I know Physics would compliment these but the physics teachers in our school are not that good. Could someone please recommend two subject that I could study for A Level that would compliment Computing and Maths.

By the way, subject I hate and/or not very good at are: English, Biology, Physics, History, any tech and any art

Further Maths Geography Economics and any subject you like as a 4th
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Further Maths Geography Economics and any subject you like as a 4th

Isn't Further Maths like really hard though?
Isn't Further Maths like really hard though?

depends on how good you are at Maths. You could also do Maths A level and an extended BTEC in IT. Economics has Maths as does Accounting. if you want to continue Computer Science at University you will need Alevel Maths
Reply 4
depends on how good you are at Maths. You could also do Maths A level and an extended BTEC in IT. Economics has Maths as does Accounting. if you want to continue Computer Science at University you will need Alevel Maths

I am relatively good in maths but 10hrs a week of maths seems a lot. Also I am intending on studying Computer science as a degree in university so extended IT seems like a good combination
I am relatively good in maths but 10hrs a week of maths seems a lot. Also I am intending on studying Computer science as a degree in university so extended IT seems like a good combination

hearing this just a word of warning. most top universities want A level Maths to do Computer Science so make sure you do that as well
Reply 6

You dont 'need' A level Maths, only for around 10 unis

Im at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science and i didnt take Maths A level, i just did a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
You dont 'need' A level Maths, only for around 10 unis

Im at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science and i didnt take Maths A level, i just dorkid a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT

the vast majority of top universities state a level maths as a requirement. English universities include Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Surrey, Manchester, Sheffield, and York. I have not looked at Scottish universities. There a few that don't require A level Maths like Lancaster and Kings but there are far more want A level Maths than don't in the top 20 or so unis.
Reply 8
A level maths and comp sci are great choices if you plan on studying comp sci at uni. If you're really passionate about studying A Level physics, go for it, regardless of how good the teachers at your school are (if you're passionate enough for physics you should succeed)

I am currently studying A level maths, comp sci, electronics and BTEC IT, so realistically physics would go very well with your other two subject choices, however if you don't enjoy studying physics then you could go for any alternative subject that you would enjoy studying as you have 2 very strong A level subjects that are suited towards the course already.

Hope I helped :smile:
Economics would be a good choice. Or even ICT maybe?... Like poster above has said, you could go for 1 subject that is a bit easier and that you enjoy. I wouldn't risk doing further maths if you don't think you're capable. It'd be better if you took physics than FM. (maybe at least for AS)
Reply 10
Original post by BubbleLover98
Economics would be a good choice. Or even ICT maybe?... Like poster above has said, you could go for 1 subject that is a bit easier and that you enjoy. I wouldn't risk doing further maths if you don't think you're capable. It'd be better if you took physics than FM. (maybe at least for AS)

Thanks I'll consider physics as my third option.
Are chemistry or geography relatively easier A levels as I strive in these in GCSE?
Reply 11
the vast majority of top universities state a level maths as a requirement. English universities include Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Surrey, Manchester, Sheffield, and York. I have not looked at Scottish universities. There a few that don't require A level Maths like Lancaster and Kings but there are far more want A level Maths than don't in the top 20 or so unis.

I am aware and agree with this as I have already done a bit of research into most of the top UK university and their requirements.
I agree that ideally you would take computing and maths. as your not interested in further maths probably Physics, Electronics, Economics, Geography or Accounting might be worth looking at for one but in reality you could choose anything you like as you would have the 2 most useful subjects for Computer Science. Subjects like those above have some form of Maths in them
[QUOTE=sharmacka;60126917]Thanks I'll consider physics as my third option.
Are chemistry or geography relatively easier A levels as I strive in these in GCSE?

I haven't taken geography but I'm assuming it is probably easier than chemistry.. If you're doing well in Chem, I'd say go for it!!! Because chemistry is also complimented by physics and maths..
Also, if you are going to take physics, I'd strongly advise you to take a fourth subject that you know you'll enjoy. (Just in case you hate it and might want to drop it)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by BubbleLover98
I haven't taken geography but I'm assuming it is probably easier than chemistry.. If you're doing well in Chem, I'd say go for it!!! Because chemistry is also complimented by physics and maths..
Also, if you are going to take physics, I'd strongly advise you to take a fourth subject that you know you'll enjoy. (Just in case you hate it and might want to drop it)

Chemistry would be my fourth subject because as I mentioned earlier, it's a subject I do enjoy and I am quite good at
And thanks for the advice
Chemistry would be my fourth subject because as I mentioned earlier, it's a subject I do enjoy and I am quite good at
And thanks for the advice

If you enjoy it take it. It might be worth taking it as your third subject and perhaps something new for your fourth
Reply 16
If you enjoy it take it. It might be worth taking it as your third subject and perhaps something new for your fourth

My four most likely going to be:
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Chemistry

9 to 10 hours within lessons between the two A-levels. You should probably be doing twice that. Further maths would be the best option. Other than that it doesn't really matter.
Don't take physics if you hate it.
Those choices look good. Consider Fm though it will definitely help applying to top unis if you want to go to Imperial or Oxbridge
Reply 19
Original post by morgan8002
9 to 10 hours within lessons between the two A-levels. You should probably be doing twice that. Further maths would be the best option. Other than that it doesn't really matter.
Don't take physics if you hate it.

In our school, we have five teaching hours per subject per week. So I would be having 5hr for maths and 5hr for further maths a week.
And I'll consider Further Maths then instead of physics because thinking about it, it'll be boring learning about a subject for five a week which I don't like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending