The Student Room Group

Gcse geography coursework HELPP!!

Basically I'm currently doing my geography coursework and am currently on 1296 words and the word limit is 2000 will this affect my grade? I also have no idea how to lay out my data presentation so what sort of presentation methods could I use to get high marks?

I am also aiming for an A* so does anyone have any tips for this.

Thanks to anyone who replies I'm really stuck rn
One tip, ignore the word count, it is totally unrealistic (I presume you are doing Edexcel Geography?). I did geography last year and got 100 UMS (which is full marks) in my coursework, when I must have written in excess of 5,000 words, at a guess (we didn't count). You are better off getting everything in your coursework perfect (or very good) and completing the whole thing than stressing over the word count.

For an A*, you just need to learn the content, and answer the questions in detail, for this you might need to practice a bit. Also, if your school does revision sessions then go to them, they are usually more useful than you think. I got an A overall, although I mainly didn't get an A* because I did my exams while moving house, and in Year 9.

For data presentation this really depends on your project. For ours (river changes downstream) I seemed to spend hours drawing/photocopying graphs to add further data to the graph (e.g. adding mud depth to a channel cross section/water depth graph). Also, our teacher did some statistical analysis of our data for the correlations between certain factors. If you can get these numbers, or do them yourself, then this, I believe, is quite a good way of gaining marks.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Jackster45
One tip, ignore the word count, it is totally unrealistic (I presume you are doing Edexcel Geography?). I did geography last year and got 100 UMS (which is full marks) in my coursework, when I must have written in excess of 5,000 words, at a guess (we didn't count). You are better off getting everything in your coursework perfect (or very good) and completing the whole thing than stressing over the word count.

For an A*, you just need to learn the content, and answer the questions in detail, for this you might need to practice a bit. Also, if your school does revision sessions then go to them, they are usually more useful than you think. I got an A overall, although I mainly didn't get an A* because I did my exams while moving house, and in Year 9.

For data presentation this really depends on your project. For ours (river changes downstream) I seemed to spend hours drawing/photocopying graphs to add further data to the graph (e.g. adding mud depth to a channel cross section/water depth graph). Also, our teacher did some statistical analysis of our data for the correlations between certain factors. If you can get these numbers, or do them yourself, then this, I believe, is quite a good way of gaining marks.

Hope this helps

Thanks but when you say learning content what do you mean? Mine is edexcel and about how immigration has affected the characteristics of services on brick lane
Pretty much what I mean is that to do well you need to be confident in learning the facts and figures of the content. Finding a revision method that works for you and then using is very important. It is difficult to make up the answers in geography and get good marks.

Your coursework sounds a lot more interesting than mine, which was just proving what our teacher had taught us about rivers. We spent a day stood in a river before drawing a seeming endless number of graphs.
Reply 4
Original post by TyanaChu
Basically I'm currently doing my geography coursework and am currently on 1296 words and the word limit is 2000 will this affect my grade? I also have no idea how to lay out my data presentation so what sort of presentation methods could I use to get high marks?

I am also aiming for an A* so does anyone have any tips for this.

Thanks to anyone who replies I'm really stuck rn

Map annotations don't count, explanations in text boxes don't count either, sub-headings and table titles don't count as well. I say use text boxes, that's what I did for annotations.
Reply 5
Original post by web-girl
Map annotations don't count, explanations in text boxes don't count either, sub-headings and table titles don't count as well. I say use text boxes, that's what I did for annotations.

what do you mean don't count?
Reply 6
what do you mean don't count?

The word count.
Reply 7
The word count.

Thank you! How do you recommend I do the data presentation for high marks and what did you get if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 8
Thank you! How do you recommend I do the data presentation for high marks and what did you get if you dont mind me asking?

In total my word count was within the 2000 and I got an A* with 48/50. For the data presentation part I used mainly maps. So basically I had to show how the land use has changed according to the Burgess model using map layering and stuff. It like a picture in the middle and annotations around it using arrows ect. I used Photographs and field sketches. I also did a table, have you done that? A couple of pie charts with a brief caption. If you need help use this link:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/subject-updates/Geography/CA-Geography-Workbook%20%281%29.pdf

Go to page 36. That and below should help you.

It says 2012 because the specification hasn't changed since.
Reply 9
In total my word count was within the 2000 and I got an A* with 48/50. For the data presentation part I used mainly maps. So basically I had to show how the land use has changed according to the Burgess model using map layering and stuff. It like a picture in the middle and annotations around it using arrows ect. I used Photographs and field sketches. I also did a table, have you done that? A couple of pie charts with a brief caption. If you need help use this link:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/subject-updates/Geography/CA-Geography-Workbook%20%281%29.pdf

Go to page 36. That and below should help you.

It says 2012 because the specification hasn't changed since.

thank you so much!
thank you so much!

Welcome :h:
Reply 11
lmao i was 3 ums off an a* because i was told to stick to the word count

if this thread was around last year...
Reply 12
Original post by gomc
lmao i was 3 ums off an a* because i was told to stick to the word count

if this thread was around last year...

how did you lay out your data presentation if you don't mind me asking.
Yeah I did aqa this year and our word guide was 2000 and I got an a* with like 5000+ words.

For my dp I used various types of annotated maps, photos (my own), various graphs, tables etc. we had to use quite a variety of dp techniques but I'm not sure if edexcel is the same.
Reply 14
Original post by hoafanuk
Yeah I did aqa this year and our word guide was 2000 and I got an a* with like 5000+ words.

For my dp I used various types of annotated maps, photos (my own), various graphs, tables etc. we had to use quite a variety of dp techniques but I'm not sure if edexcel is the same.

how did you present your pedestrian observations and photographs I am currently stuck on that.
how did you present your pedestrian observations and photographs I am currently stuck on that.

I can't remember exactly but for mine I had ~six locations where I did my data collection. For the places where I had taken relevant photos I annotated them and basically just described what was happening and linked it back to the question.
For the pedestrian footfall one I'm afraid I can't remember, but I guess a chloropleth map wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you have enough time.
Reply 16
how did you lay out your data presentation if you don't mind me asking.

i did aqa so it may differ a bit
i just had a section for each technique
the first part contained the techniques everyone had to carry out (simple techniques) and then the last part had the complex techniques

ugh my teacher wouldnt stop saying how if you went over the word count youll be downgraded and it turns out that its the complete opposite
i may as well never bothered revising
For Aqa which Im doing what other techniques will get you full marks for far I've done a compound graph, photo annotation and a GE Graph....I'm aiming for an A* what else should I do. Also tips for the write up the 5hr one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending