The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grvcex97
hmm.. never been to Hackney. Should I check it out? lol

err... No :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by Yellow 03
Try Upper Street area (my favourite) and anywhere in Soho. And let's not forget the legendary Bar Italia in Frith Street (another favourite) where everyone gravitates to after a long night out partying/drinking/bar hopping etc.

are these areas expensive? lol
Original post by queen-bee
I want to check out Westfield Stratford city one day! I like the shepard's bush one but would be nice to compare

I go there every summer when I come back to England. Stratford is great but it's like an hour by tube compared to ~10 mins for Shepherd's Bush. Erk
Original post by jam277
No idea tbh @Queen Bee . Only been West Westfield once and that was back in 2011(just before the East one was built).

I'll check the east London one out. I hear it's even better than the west London one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 104
err... No :smile:

why, is it really sketch? haha
Original post by Student403
I go there every summer when I come back to England. Stratford is great but it's like an hour by tube compared to ~10 mins for Shepherd's Bush. Erk

Why don't you go to the shepard's bush one of it closer?
Reply 107
Original post by The Wavefunction
Guys, I'm not actually serious. As gutted as I am that she turned me down, I think I'll get over it fast.

Haha flattered, but I'm not one to get gutted over :P
Why don't you go to the shepard's bush one of it closer?

Cause the Shepherd's Bush one seems to have more fashion/designer stores :tongue: Not my thing
Reply 109
Any cool places in Greenwich or anywhere SE? because that's where I have some family
Reply 110
Original post by jam277
I lived in Liverpool as well for a few years so I think I have right to talk about this. It's a fantastic place in every sense of the word. There are so many things to do. The centre is affordable, great pubs, good bars if that's your kinda thing. The student atmosphere in the centre of Liverpool is great and also since I had that freedom to just go everywhere I wanted in Liverpool without too many issues financially(unlike in London) there was that amazing vibe.
Liverpool has a very good day and night life. With Liverpool it's a bit more affordable but you still get a lot of that vibe of London. I used to love going to Liverpool one, was a neat burritos place and I used to just go there and chill with my mates.London is better though, ain't nothing like my hometown.

Yeah I feel that, it's sort of like a scaled down London. Really different atmosphere I find though. A lot more humbleness in Liverpool. Black people/culture is virtually non existent, although there is a demand for Carribean culture, which is great.
why, is it really sketch? haha

It's quite run down although there are some interesting art stuff happening there in the last few years, but generally speaking it is one of the more under-developed areas - with a comparatively higher crime rate.
Any cool places in Greenwich or anywhere SE? because that's where I have some family

I heard south East London is so dangerous. Places like Peckham,especially.
Original post by Student403
Cause the Shepherd's Bush one seems to have more fashion/designer stores :tongue: Not my thing

Ah makes sense. Extortionate prices smh
Ah makes sense. Extortionate prices smh

Oh that too. Some places are horrendous
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Ha , what a wisecracker you are dear!

Shukran :wink:

Greenwich is OK, but it's not London and if you are looking for more funky places (or social hotspots as you say) you definitely need to at least explore (ie go out in) areas like Upper Street and Soho. Oh, and South Bank which is amazing. Other great places are Spitalfields and Notting Hill.

A lot of people here talk about places which are very touristy and hence cringeworthy and which Londoners mostly avoid (eg Oxford Street - ugh!).

Also, why on earth would someone go to Westfield, that is the equivalent of an American mall and mostly uninteresting, surely someone would want get a more authentic British/London feel of things...?
I heard south East London is so dangerous. Places like Peckham,especially.

Yes, Peckham is the worst! :s-smilie:
Reply 118
Greenwich is OK, but it's not London and if you are looking for more funky places (or social hotspots as you say) you definitely need to at least explore (ie go out in) areas like Upper Street and Soho. Oh, and South Bank which is amazing. Other great places are Spitalfields and Notting Hill.

A lot of people here talk about places which are very touristy and hence cringeworthy and which Londoners mostly avoid (eg Oxford Street - ugh!).

Also, why on earth would someone go to Westfield, that is the equivalent of an American mall and mostly uninteresting, surely someone would want get a more authentic British/London feel of things...?

Agreed South Bank is great. Really enjoyed Leicester Square, too, a lot more than Oxford street. And I avoided Piccadilly. Not sure if I passed through Notting Hill, though.
I'm going to study abroad in London soon and was wondering where the best places to socialize or just have a good evening out with friends are in the London area(:

Try Shoreditch or Camden! They're always pretty live on friday or saturday night :smile:

Latest