The Student Room Group

Should I study maths for A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaArgonian
Fine thanks, we're doing a context based course so each chapter is called a 'storyline'
The chapter I'm currently studying is 'Developing Fuels' which revolves around enthalpy and organic chemistry :smile:.

Organic chemistry is the best!
Organic > inorganic > physical :biggrin:
Original post by geniequeen48
Oh okay, I'll see if my teachers can help me out on this. I could try win the jack petchy award then use some of the money to pay off my award haha...that is, if I win of course.

Did Barts ask for your proof?

I'm sure you'll win it! :biggrin:
Nope, Barts didn't ask for proof for anything, not even my work experience. But I think they might do random checks on random applicants, as it is simply too time consuming to do everyone.
Some med schools like St George's want proof and references for everything you've done.
Reply 42
If you don't want to write essays take maths. I really enjoyed the A level course and just missed out on an A* from a not particularly great C4 exam. I think it's relatively easy once you learn the concepts and understand how to apply them to different questions but many people do struggle and fall behind at the start, you need to have self belief that you can do well. I'd say it's a good A level choice but if you don't particularly enjoy it, don't take it
What a thread...
Original post by LJC31
If you don't want to write essays take maths. I really enjoyed the A level course and just missed out on an A* from a not particularly great C4 exam. I think it's relatively easy once you learn the concepts and understand how to apply them to different questions but many people do struggle and fall behind at the start, you need to have self belief that you can do well. I'd say it's a good A level choice but if you don't particularly enjoy it, don't take it

Haha I actually like writing essays xD
Thanks, I'll most probably choose maths for A-Level. I'll tell myself that I can do well in maths for GCSE so far. If that strategy works then, I'll use it again for A-level :biggrin:
Original post by Rickstahhh
I'm sure you'll win it! :biggrin:
Nope, Barts didn't ask for proof for anything, not even my work experience. But I think they might do random checks on random applicants, as it is simply too time consuming to do everyone.
Some med schools like St George's want proof and references for everything you've done.

Ohh right okay. Thanks!!
You have been so helpful I really appreciate your time :smile:
Ohh right okay. Thanks!!
You have been so helpful I really appreciate your time :smile:

No worries :smile:
Feel free to message me if you ever have any questions
:smile:
Really? I mean for chemistry I can't find many large and/or long equations in year 12 other than pV = nRT and q = mcDELTAT

Under the old spec, for AS Hess's law is the only other thing I can think of that maths would help with other than the standard concentration and molar calculations, but it's only GCSE vectors.
For A2, there's Born-Haber cycles, which are an extension of Hess's law. The end of the A2 gets a bit more maths-heavy with kc,kak_c, k_a etc. and rates, but again only GCSE knowledge is actually required.
I assume this is the case for the new spec too.
Organic chemistry is the best!
Organic > inorganic > physical :biggrin:

What makes you say that? :smile:
Original post by morgan8002
Under the old spec, for AS Hess's law is the only other thing I can think of that maths would help with other than the standard concentration and molar calculations, but it's only GCSE vectors.
For A2, there's Born-Haber cycles, which are an extension of Hess's law. The end of the A2 gets a bit more maths-heavy with kc,kak_c, k_a etc. and rates, but again only GCSE knowledge is actually required.

Well I haven't really checked the A2 spec for OCR B
I'll check now
What makes you say that? :smile:

Physical and inorganic was so boring compared to organic haha.
Original post by morgan8002

Ok...I've checked it...

NOW THAT IS WHAT I LIKE TO SEE LOL
Physical and inorganic was so boring compared to organic haha.

Ah ok
Ah ok

What do you prefer atm, bio or chem?
What do you prefer atm, bio or chem?

While I prefer never to say "I prefer this science over that" I'd have to say biology (since I got an A in my first test/assessment...in comparison to a D in chemistry).

But I'm not worried, I've just started a two week half term and I'm ready to study and more importantly learn the ways of A-level exams.
While I prefer never to say "I prefer this science over that" I'd have to say biology (since I got an A in my first test/assessment...in comparison to a D in chemistry).

But I'm not worried, I've just started a two week half term and I'm ready to study and more importantly learn the ways of A-level exams.

Ahh yes, the way you study in A level is quite different from GCSE. It usually takes most students till around Christmas to properly settle in.
Most students also find Chemistry hard at the beginning. For example, when I was at college my class's average after the first chemistry exam was an E.
Hey there,

I'm on the last year of GCSEs and I've been thinking about the a levels I should do. I want to study medicine. From year 10 to year 11 I've been liking english literature even more but now I'm beginning to dislike maths.

I know for sure I will choose chemistry and biology.
The reason why I am beginning to dislike maths is that in classes I'm fed of the teacher saying I'm wrong when I attempt answering a question, sometimes it's just silly little mistakes. Sure there are times when I get the question correct. But nowadays I'm beginning to lose my mojo in maths.

In exams I'm perfectly fine, and as soon as the teacher explains how to do the question then I understand straight away and can answer another question which is similar. I'm merging into the As now but in year 10 I was like a B to an A...so let's say a B+/A-

I really want to get an A* for maths GCSE and I feel like I should now know how to do maths well after 5 years of studying it. I have heard as well that maths gcse is way too easy compared to maths a level O.o

I really just want to get at least a grade B for maths AS, and now the systems are changing, the subject will be even harder? Do you think I should do it for A level?

If I don't study maths then I'd be doing Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Spanish (and I have a french AS already, so it's nice to have 2 languages I guess)

Please reply to me in the best way you can. My big brother hated maths and he failed miserably at maths AS. I have a stronger ability than him so it's a different story but I'm scared I will fall into the same trap as him.

I'm doing maths as right now. It's quite easy. You should get a B. Don't be scared, just do what you enjoy and try your best. Don't be annoyed with yourself if you did you best.
Ahh yes, the way you study in A level is quite different from GCSE. It usually takes most students till around Christmas to properly settle in.
Most students also find Chemistry hard at the beginning. For example, when I was at college my class's average after the first chemistry exam was an E.

Damn, well I like to prepare myself early so I'll try to learn over the half term.

But thanks for the heads up
Reply 58
Didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if i'm repeating someone :biggrin:
Don't do maths at A level if you struggle with it. Seriously, it's gonna be hard, loads of people in my year failed AS maths or got lower grades than expected because they were overestimating themselves. I'm not trying to scare you but think about it carefully, maybe talk to your teacher, ask for advice? :smile: Wouldn't it better to get an A in something you like than a B in something you don't?
As long as you do 2 sciences, you should be fine. Have you considered doing physics instead maybe?
I personally wouldn't do something i dislike as there is a chance i wouldn't have the motivation. However, you know yourself best. You know what you're capable of. At the end of the day, it's up to you, so choose what you enjoy and what you're good at :smile:
Btw, your french, as far as i know, wouldn't count for medicine (or some unis) as an academic requirement because the exam wasn't sat within 2 years of A levels
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arusya
Didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if i'm repeating someone :biggrin:
Don't do maths at A level if you struggle with it. Seriously, it's gonna be hard, loads of people in my year failed AS maths or got lower grades than expected because they were overestimating themselves. I'm not trying to scare you but think about it carefully, maybe talk to your teacher, ask for advice? :smile: Wouldn't it better to get an A in something you like than a B in something you don't?
As long as you do 2 sciences, you should be fine. Have you considered doing physics instead maybe?
I personally wouldn't do something i dislike as there is a chance i wouldn't have the motivation. However, you know yourself best. You know what you're capable of. At the end of the day, it's up to you, so choose what you enjoy and what you're good at :smile:
Btw, your french, as far as i know, wouldn't count for medicine (or some unis) as an academic requirement because the exam wasn't sat within 2 years of A levels
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it adds to UCAS points no?
A Biology A level teacher said that as long as its a modern language and not a community language then my french a level should count?

I find Physics so boring - too many graphs. I heard also that as an A level it's even worse than maths so no thanks :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest