The Student Room Group

Having a part-time job at uni, can I ask for time off to go home for Christmas?

I've recently been offered a job as a waitress at a brand new opening restaurant. Although I am very happy to work there at any other time of the year, I do live 2 hours permanently away from my university, where all my family are. I only start on the 1st December, and while we do not work Christmas Day I am worried about the days surrounding it. If I do get shifts on the 24th and 26th of December I cannot go home for Christmas and will have to be alone in my house by myself as all my house mates would have left.

I want to speak to my boss about maybe not having shifts around the days before and after christmas, but do I have even a right to ask? Many of my colleagues do live here permanently, I just don't want to give the wrong impression of taking time off so soon and around an important time. I really want to go home to see my family, so even from the 23rd till the 27th would be perfect than not going home at all or just going for a single night. Does anyone have any idea how to approach this? I was just going to go speak to him about it, but should I wait till after my training (15th Nov - 1st Dec) or is it better to make him aware as soon as possible? I was just going to explain that I don't live here permanently and would just love a few days at home over the holidays.

Any advice??? - I am very worried I will have to quit a job I am very much looking forward to start because my family will come first.
Reply 1
Original post by carly_muse
I've recently been offered a job as a waitress at a brand new opening restaurant. Although I am very happy to work there at any other time of the year, I do live 2 hours permanently away from my university, where all my family are. I only start on the 1st December, and while we do not work Christmas Day I am worried about the days surrounding it. If I do get shifts on the 24th and 26th of December I cannot go home for Christmas and will have to be alone in my house by myself as all my house mates would have left.

I want to speak to my boss about maybe not having shifts around the days before and after christmas, but do I have even a right to ask? Many of my colleagues do live here permanently, I just don't want to give the wrong impression of taking time off so soon and around an important time. I really want to go home to see my family, so even from the 23rd till the 27th would be perfect than not going home at all or just going for a single night. Does anyone have any idea how to approach this? I was just going to go speak to him about it, but should I wait till after my training (15th Nov - 1st Dec) or is it better to make him aware as soon as possible? I was just going to explain that I don't live here permanently and would just love a few days at home over the holidays.

Any advice??? - I am very worried I will have to quit a job I am very much looking forward to start because my family will come first.

Ask if it would be possible to go home for Christmas. If you're just taking a short break then I can't see the issue.

Offer to work extra to cover the missing days, but ONLY if your boss has a problem with it at first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Katty3
Ask if it would be possible to go home for Christmas. If you're just taking a short break then I can't see the issue.

Offer to work extra to cover the missing days, but ONLY if your boss has a problem with it at first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I ask before the contract signing at training or wait until after I have actually started working which is cutting it quite close? I am not asking for weeks off literally only a few days. Plus I may speak to one of my assistant managers who I imagine will be doing the rotas anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by carly_muse
Should I ask before the contract signing at training or wait until after I have actually started working which is cutting it quite close? I am not asking for weeks off literally only a few days. Plus I may speak to one of my assistant managers who I imagine will be doing the rotas anyway.

Ask during training. The worst they can do is say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ask and negotiate with them, you may be able to work more before Xmas to compensate for not being there over the holidays. If they won't budge then quit and find another job which will allow you to go home for Xmas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending