The Student Room Group

It’s got to Christmas and I still dk about uni!

What would you recommend to someone in first year who still hasn’t found their groove yet with uni? This is such a common feeling, Christmas comes so much quicker than we think it will come. There’s pressure to have found all your mates, be having the best time and being on the best course. But this isn’t always the case :smile:
What advice would you give?

Emily
@Manchester Met - Student Rep ,

Thankyou for starting the thread 🙂.

The first thing I would say is please rest assured, that if you feel conflicted or confused when heading home for Xmas, this is 100% normal and very common. If you have not quite found your feet with friendships yet, perhaps take some time over the holidays to take the pressure off of yourself and reflect on what you could do in the new year to branch out a bit more - why not consider joining a society or taking on a part-time job on campus as a new year's resolution? Even just setting yourself a small goal such as initiating at least 2 new conversations each day, or make a study or coffee date with one person from your course or flat every week when you get back.

Feeling like you are perhaps on the wrong course can be a little more tricky. Try to reflect over Christmas about what elements of it don't work for you - have you given it enough time to 'get going?' What alternatives are there? How much of this feeling is coming from the course itself, and how much is coming from being back in your home setting? Perhaps meeting with your personal tutor, and chatting to family or friends back home to get their thoughts about it might help.

Finally, as cliched as it sounds, I would advise to keep positive. Just remember that no University journey is the same and there is no such thing as 'doing it right'. Sometimes people don't make the right decision the first time and this is okay.

(Finally cont'd) - it's Christmas! make sure to make plenty of time for yourself and your friends/family back home to have fun, reconnect and make the most of the festive season 🙂

I hope that helps a bit - best wishes!

Holly
University of Bath
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
What would you recommend to someone in first year who still hasn’t found their groove yet with uni? This is such a common feeling, Christmas comes so much quicker than we think it will come. There’s pressure to have found all your mates, be having the best time and being on the best course. But this isn’t always the case :smile:

Emily

Hi there , I'm sorry your feel that way currently but if it makes you feel any better I am in the same position but I'm in second year student. Most days I feel like I'm drowning in work and struggling to keep up with deadlines , I've managed to submit everything on time and to the best of my ability but I haven't got my groove back that I had by the end of last year. At the moment I've given myself the space to be human , I give the best of myself everyday and then leave the rest for the next day.
Lately what has been helping is having " No zero days" which means everyday I must do some form of course work , whether that is writing up notes or doing my assignment. I also keep track of my calendar to make sure that I know when my deadlines are and that I have sufficient time to get them done. Any spare time I have , I spend in the library trying to get something done .
One tip that helped last year was sleep! you'd be surprised how much a good nights sleep can do for you . A little rest goes a long way in getting back on track. I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering student
De Montfort University
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep

Emily

My advice would be to keep going! You can't expect yourself to settle into a whole new life in what is ultimately a very short amount of time. University is a huge change in so many ways; academically, lifestyle, relationships. It's a huge life adjustment and chances are your friends and classmates with be in the same position.

Hope this is reassuring! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending