The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Should I apply to MSc or DPhil at Oxford?

For the Oxford course I'm interested in, students begin as probationary research students, and at the end of year 1, they apply to become MSc or DPhil candidates. Interestingly, even if you apply to Oxford for an MSc, you can end year 1 and still transfer to DPhil status.

My question is, what would be the difference between applying to Oxford for an MSc and transferring to official DPhil status vs. applying to Oxford for a DPhil and then transferring to official DPhil status?

Should I be aware of anything? Is it difficult to actually transfer from MSc to DPhil? (Even if the department page says this is possible)? I feel like it would be nice to have the flexibility of doing either an MSc or DPhil at the end of year 1, so I'm leaning toward applying as an MSc student.
You will get two degrees instead of just one.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Little Toy Gun
You will get two degrees instead of just one.

Is that true? My understanding is that at the end of year 1, you apply to transfer to official MSc OR DPhil status. I didn't think you get 2 degrees if you choose to do the DPhil?
Original post by jharvx
Is that true? My understanding is that at the end of year 1, you apply to transfer to official MSc OR DPhil status. I didn't think you get 2 degrees if you choose to do the DPhil?

It's not true, no-one will give you two degrees from one piece/period of work.

Check that you can actually start a Masters and then decide, not just start a PhD in a probationary category that is equivalent to a Masters, and that your first year's work will automatically qualify you for a Masters if you choose. At the other place you either apply for a Masters, or you apply for a PhD and have to effectively fail to upgrade to a PhD and then be offered the option of converting to a Masters. You can't start with an either/or option (or couldn't when I was there)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending