The Student Room Group

Is it racist if you won't date some races?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JD1lla
Good question. Why is only 10% of the population left handed and 90% right handed? (There is an odd link between being left-handed and homosexuality btw) But this is not on topic

Yeah, handedness is partly determined by prenatal hormone exposure levels just like homosexuality so that's probably why gays are more likely to be left handed. Estrogen affects sexual behaviour and left/right brain dominance.
Original post by driftawaay
Going by that logic, handedness wouldn't be innate either since identical twins don't always share the same hand preference either so your argument makes no sense. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't say being left handedness is a result of nurture and it comparable to having a racial preferance.... If anything, heterosexuality could be the result of nurture, since that is what everyone is 'raised' to be and see as normal, just like people grow up with the ideal beauty being very white-centric.

Uh what? If it is the case that identical twins don't always share the same hand preference then yes the same basic logic applies that handedness is not innate.
The exact same reasoning I provided before is backed up below by a better source, of which there is no added value as the reasoning is the same, but as you don't seem to understand it you might trust this.
When one identical twin is gay, there is about a 20% chance that the other will be as well1. But because this rate is not 100%, it is thought that environmental factors play a role as well.

http://www.nature.com/news/epigenetic-tags-linked-to-homosexuality-in-men-1.18530

Guess what, as you stipulated, the same logic DOES apply to handedness:
Many people assume that hand preference is a genetic trait. However, that is not the case. A quick survey of identical twins will confirm the discrepancy.

http://multiples.about.com/cs/funfacts/a/aatwinhand.htm
I was quite surprised you brought handedness into the equation as to me that's a given that it is nurtured. Just look at sports. Although, there tends to some initial dominance

I think you didn't completely understand, that is what I was getting at too; sexual orientation is nurtured, whether that be homo, hetero or whatever, which you can see when I put the homo in brackets as that was what I was specifically responding to. This would be the full nurture argument that neither orientation is inherently superior. (More added to this at the end)

If heterosexuality and homosexuality 'happen' the same way, how come the vast majority of people end up heterosexual? Wouldn't the population be 50/50 then? Surely the genetic/hormonal/biological aspect is a lot more influential than 'environmental influences'. Sexual orientation is clearly innate.

Btw newest study on homosexuality [although it was a small study so has recieved criticism]

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2015/10/homosexuality-may-be-caused-chemical-modifications-dna

The first bit just doesn't make sense, because that means that no majority is nurtured.

And there we go your own link is saying the same thing I was saying earlier:
Twin studies suggested, moreover, that gene sequences can't be the full explanation. For example, the identical twin of a gay man, despite having the same genome, only has a 20% to 50% chance of being gay himself.

That's why some have suggested that epigenetics—instead of or in addition to traditional genetics—might be involved.

Saying that, one can see that it is specified in the sciencemag.org and nature.com links that there is strong evidence of genetic contribution. However, this is only along side the certainty of at least a minimum of environmental elements, be it antenatal or upbringing, leading to suggestions of a mixture - epigenetics.
Original post by RVNmax
Uh what? If it is the case that identical twins don't always share the same hand preference then yes the same basic logic applies that handedness is not innate.

Then how come it is possible to tell whether a foetus is left or right handed when they are in the womb?
Reply 143
Then how come it is possible to tell whether a foetus is left or right handed when they are in the womb?

With what certainty is this predictable? I didn't know this was possible. As in, to accurately determine which hand(s) will be used
Original post by JD1lla
With what certainty is this predictable? I didn't know this was possible. As in, to accurately determine which hand(s) will be used

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6186-handedness-develops-in-the-womb/
Reply 145

"Hepper followed up these findings, and confirmed that the right-handed thumb-suckers did indeed turn out to be right-handed, although a third of those who sucked their left thumbs in utero also turned out right-handed. One important aspect of these studies is that the thumb-sucking and arm-waving behaviour is being observed at a time before any asymmetry in the fetuses’ brains has developed (at this early stage, the brain is not even fully connect to the spinal cord and limbs)."
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'm attracted to very few black men (none, I think, so far, that I remember of anyway.)(Same with black women; they can be very conventionally attractive, I'm not stupid, but I personally don't find it a turn on, or attractive.)
I genuinely don't find the black skin colour attractive, unlike white or lighter Middle Eastern men.
Is that facile and idiotic? Am I in the wrong for not liking the skin colour of an entire "race" sexually? You can't force attractions, and it's even more silly forcing someone who's not sexually attracted to someone else, with that someone else.

You have not met every black person in the world how can you make such a judgement? there are so many different skin tones and looks when it comes to black people how can you be so dismissive of an entire race?

Whether or not it is wrong to truly exclude a racial group from ones standards of beauty in such a way is racist
Original post by Little Toy Gun
See you are trying to not only do thought control (forcing people to like someone) but want to manufacture rape (forcing people to have sex with people they simply don't like) and have arranged marriages (forcing people to date people they don't like).

They're no more racist than you are a 'rape enthusiast'.

you're manipulating my words. i have made no such assertion
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

Whether or not it is wrong to truly exclude a racial group from ones standards of beauty in such a way is racist

Not being sexually attracted to a race of people doesn't mean you exclude them from your standards of beauty or don't find them aesthetically pleasing.
Original post by little toy gun
what is idiotic is not that people are holding on to their own preferences, but your insistent that it is perfectly fine to force people to mate with people they simply don't like.

you dont have to **** anyone you dont want to however if you exclude a whole race frOM your beauty standards/attraction standards without having met every member of that race you are a racist
Not being sexually attracted to a race of people doesn't mean you exclude them from your standards of beauty or don't find them aesthetically pleasing.

How can you say "i can never ever be attracted to a black person, even if i meet every one of them" but then say "i find some black people to be aesthetically pleasing/beautiful"

??????

I haven't exactly researched this thoroughly and have no proof on this, but the previous link I posted on handedness claimed some theories and mentioned a bit about development in the womb, which could contribute to what I would call an initial environmental preference within the womb. In that there is no dominant preference at that stage, but there might be I don't know. Regardless, IF it is possible to nurture handedness post-natal, which from reading people are able to do as it is just a build up of separate movements for independent skills (expanded on here: http://www.secretsofbabybehavior.com/2013/07/right-handed-or-left-handed-how-early.html), then whether there was a slight initial preference or not and if it was wholly environmental or partially genetic, it is still kind of overridden by the learning process.
How can you say "i can never ever be attracted to a black person, even if i meet every one of them" but then say "i find some black people to be aesthetically pleasing/beautiful"

??????

Just because you are not attracted to someone sexually does not mean you cannot find them pretty or even breathtakingly beautiful. I think Angelina Jolie is gorgeous but I know I am definitely not attracted to her in a sexual way at all. There are lots of people I find beautiful yet I am not sexually attracted to them. Finding someone beautiful is not the same as being sexually attracted to them.

Anyways, I am not here for your mental breakdown so.... calm down.
You have not met every black person in the world how can you make such a judgement? there are so many different skin tones and looks when it comes to black people how can you be so dismissive of an entire race?

From my experience, after having seen many (perhaps subjective) black people, I can conclude that I don't find the black skin colour attractive, at all. (therefore) I don't find black people attractive, even if they are conventionally attractive (e.g. voluptuous breasts, accentuated figure, plump ass, symmetrical face for women yadda yadda yadda.) That's just the way it is.

From my previous experience, I can safely assume/presume / extrapolate that to the entirety of the black population.

It's not being dismissive, it's simply saying I don't find them attractive, as it doesn't sexually arouse me.

I'm not excluding a race, because I find a lot not arousing.
I find a lot not arousing, so I extrapolate that to the population. :duh:
It's not racist to extrapolate when justified, if it's the black skin colour turning me off.
I'm (hopefully) done with this troll.
I do not think that it is racist, you might just feel more attracted to other women. However, it would be kind of interesting if you fell in love with someone from other race.
A preference is someone saying 'I like men who are kind and a bit quiet'

Racism is: I'm judging someone entirely on their looks/skin and not their personality, ruling out that I don't want to date anyone regardless of who they are as a person because I'm judging their features

When you say: look like me, you're saying 'I want them to look white' or whatever your race. Because mixing with anyone (unless you get your dna extracted and implanted into a separate egg/sperm) will make them look half/half or more so like the mother/father.

On a deepr level, you're just saying I don't want a child to look any other race than mine.
Original post by addyaxis
A preference is someone saying 'I like men who are kind and a bit quiet'

Racism is: I'm judging someone entirely on their looks/skin and not their personality, ruling out that I don't want to date anyone regardless of who they are as a person because I'm judging their features

When you say: look like me, you're saying 'I want them to look white' or whatever your race. Because mixing with anyone (unless you get your dna extracted and implanted into a separate egg/sperm) will make them look half/half or more so like the mother/father.

On a deepr level, you're just saying I don't want a child to look any other race than mine.

Yeh, so racist by definition but is it wrong? I'm not attracted to them and I want kids to look like me so I just rule them all out. I think it's perfectly acceptable to be racist when it comes to dating
Original post by Bealzibub
Yeh, so racist by definition but is it wrong? I'm not attracted to them and I want kids to look like me so I just rule them all out. I think it's perfectly acceptable to be racist when it comes to dating

In the calmest way possible:-

Yes I guess. It's important for a racist person to choose which race they want to date.
Just because you are not attracted to someone sexually does not mean you cannot find them pretty or even breathtakingly beautiful. I think Angelina Jolie is gorgeous but I know I am definitely not attracted to her in a sexual way at all. There are lots of people I find beautiful yet I am not sexually attracted to them. Finding someone beautiful is not the same as being sexually attracted to them.

Anyways, I am not here for your mental breakdown so.... calm down.

1. dont conflate sexuality and race...just dont they're not the same thing
2. my issue is your prejuding an entire race as sexually unattractive and think thats ok. thats messed up. why does a different skin colour pre-determine sexual attraction? Like i said meet every member of that race then judge, till then what you're proposing is racist.

it's also likely that the reason people exclude races is due to societal/familal racial concepts. Some Asian families abhor the idea of mixing with blacks whilst some white families abhor the idea of mixing with muslims, which leads to the child having no attraction to the person. it's hard to say but because so much of what we're fed by media etc is racist it's likely that the reason you are not sexually attracted to a certain race is due to racist messages sent your way. the subconscious is a powerful thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending