The Student Room Group

Langauge w/o the year abroad?

Background: Basically I'm petty sure i'm going to do Japanese ab initio as my minor instead of Spanish, in uni I can study Spanish as an elective from post A-level to a C1/highly proficient level but obviously I would not get the year abroad and I want to know how damaging that will be.

-Essentially what will I miss out on in terms of langage learning if I don't spend a year in Spain? Although I do intend to try and spend part of my summers in spain if I can.

- Also would it not be better if I was proficient in Japanese and Spanish that just kinda fluent in spanish for my job prospects?
Reply 1
Original post by Summer solace
Background: Basically I'm petty sure i'm going to do Japanese ab initio as my minor instead of Spanish, in uni I can study Spanish as an elective from post A-level to a C1/highly proficient level but obviously I would not get the year abroad and I want to know how damaging that will be.

-Essentially what will I miss out on in terms of langage learning if I don't spend a year in Spain? Although I do intend to try and spend part of my summers in spain if I can.

- Also would it not be better if I was proficient in Japanese and Spanish that just kinda fluent in spanish for my job prospects?

You're not gonna get properly fluent unless you do a year abroad. That's basically the point of a language degree. Study something else if you don't want to live abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
You're not gonna get properly fluent unless you do a year abroad. That's basically the point of a language degree. Study something else if you don't want to live abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I am going to live abroad in Japan and im happy with that,but I can't go to spain as well and i just wanted to know what that would mean.
Reply 3
Original post by justag

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am sorry, but I do not agree with that at all! I have achieved a C2 level of english (Certified by Cambridge official exams) and the longest I have ever been in the uk was a 3-week language course. If I was able to achieve so only through language lessons (3h/week), anyone could.

Also, I am close to a C1 level of french, and I have only been in france for 2 weeks, this last summer.

Therefore, living abroad for a whole year is not necessary!

(I forgot to mention that I'm spanish)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Pcabezas
I am sorry, but I do not agree with that at all! I have achieved a C2 level of english (Certified by Cambridge official exams) and the longest I have ever been in the uk was a 3-week language course. If I was able to achieve so only through language lessons (3h/week), anyone could.

Also, I am close to a C1 level of french, and I have only been in france for 2 weeks, this last summer.

Therefore, living abroad for a whole year is not necessary!

(I forgot to mention that I'm spanish)

Well good for you, but this isn't the case for most people especially British people who have less exposure to other languages compared to foreigners who can't escape the influence of English.

Plus your English has a few grammatical errors that I can already spot.. It's not that good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
But I am going to live abroad in Japan and im happy with that,but I can't go to spain as well and i just wanted to know what that would mean.

Ah, you didn't mention that :tongue: ok then fair enough, if you prefer Japanese or feel you'll benefit more from living in Japan, go and do that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by justag
Well good for you, but this isn't the case for most people especially British people who have less exposure to other languages compared to foreigners who can't escape the influence of English.

Plus your English has a few grammatical errors that I can already spot.. It's not that good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Choosing an university course or deciding to move to another country are really importat decisions. I was just trying to say that he should do whatever he prefers, and that he shouldn't change his mind due to fear of not achieving a proficiency level in Spaish. My point was that he could do it without actually spending a year in Spain. I think that this makes much more sense than recommending that he did a different course (As you said)

Secondly, I wasn't bragging about my english level. I didn't say that my level was perfect, I am still studying, and trying to improve. I don't really understand your attitude, you seem irritated by my simple comment.
Reply 7
Choosing an university course or deciding to move to another country are really importat decisions. I was just trying to say that he should do whatever he prefers, and that he shouldn't change his mind due to fear of not achieving a proficiency level in Spaish. My point was that he could do it without actually spending a year in Spain. I think that this makes much more sense than recommending that he did a different course (As you said)

Secondly, I wasn't bragging about my english level. I didn't say that my level was perfect, I am still studying, and trying to improve. I don't really understand your attitude, you seem irritated by my simple comment.

In the UK it is very uncommon to do a language degree without a year abroad; the OP suggested in his or her first post that they didn't want a year abroad at all. As that is strange, I stated the reasons it is from the British perspective. There is a reason year abroads for language degrees are generally compulsory at the vast majority of unis, and rightly so. It is in the OPs best interests to do a year abroad most likely, and they are in fact doing one.

You seemed to claim you could become perfectly fluent in a language with limited exposure. My comment about your English disputed that theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
In the UK it is very uncommon to do a language degree without a year abroad; the OP suggested in his or her first post that they didn't want a year abroad at all. As that is strange, I stated the reasons it is from the British perspective. There is a reason year abroads for language degrees are generally compulsory at the vast majority of unis, and rightly so. It is in the OPs best interests to do a year abroad most likely, and they are in fact doing one.

You seemed to claim you could become perfectly fluent in a language with limited exposure. My comment about your English disputed that theory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All Pcabezas said was that he has C2 level certification in English. I don't see anyone but you making the claim that one can become 'perfectly fluent in English with limited exposure.'

In any case, your reply was littered with grammatical errors. Clearly, no-one's that good at English here.

As an aside, the OP never suggested that she didn't want to do a year abroad at all. What she said was that since she'll be doing AB Initio Japanese instead of Spanish as her minor, she'll be studying abroad in Japan in place of Spain.

x
x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Quick-use
All Pcabezas said was that he has C2 level certification in English. I don't see anyone but you making the claim that one can become 'perfectly fluent in English with limited exposure.'

In any case, your reply was littered with grammatical errors. Clearly, no-one's that good at English here.

As an aside, the OP never suggested that she didn't want to do a year abroad at all. What she said was that since she'll be doing AB Initio Japanese instead of Spanish as her minor, she'll be studying abroad in Japan in place of Spain.

Thanks for understanding my point :smile: I thought that it was pointless to initiate a discussion here trying to make it clearer again, but you got it!
Reply 10
Original post by Quick-use

My post was not littered with grammatical errors; your grasp of English is clearly very poor.

Where did the OP mention going to Japan on a year abroad in their initial post? That was mentioned afterwards. The title of the post is Language without the year abroad; you clearly can't read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

I'm a little confused are you doing Japanese and Spanish and trying to work out which to go abroad for and which to do as your minor?
Original post by abc:)
I'm a little confused are you doing Japanese and Spanish and trying to work out which to go abroad for and which to do as your minor?

Japanese as the minor and spanish not part of the degree but as an elective module.
Reply 13
Japanese as the minor and spanish not part of the degree but as an elective module.

Got you :smile: basically do it whichever way you enjoy the most. A lot of languages students have dilemmas, as you tend to study more than one language and obviously only get a year to go abroad. Sometimes you can split the year and do 6 months in each.

Personally I'd recommend a whole year in one place though - remember you've got the whole rest of your life after you graduate to travel and live in other places if you want to.

Basically, it's fine, you sound like you're making a good choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending