The Student Room Group

What is wrong about apologizing?

What is wrong with apologising? Why are people afraid of doing it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simonthegreat
What is wrong with apologising? Why are people afraid of doing it?

not afraid......... just hate the fact that theyre in the wrong or (truthfully, in my case) hurts their ego and pride
That is true. Isn't it better to just apologise and move on rather than having it hang over you?
That is true. Isn't it better to just apologise and move on rather than having it hang over you?

but you dont really think about it..... you move on in life. and whats the point in apologising when you dont mean it?
What i mean is that some people see it as sign of weakness so refuse to apologise even when they are blatantly in the wrong. So the other person then resents them for it and causes bad blood which prevents both parties from moving on.

I don't see apologising as a sign of weakness. In fact the opposite. It takes a lot of courage and it clears the air.
I'am sorry but you would never catch me apologising regardless of whether i was wrong
What i mean is that some people see it as sign of weakness so refuse to apologise even when they are blatantly in the wrong. So the other person then resents them for it and causes bad blood which prevents both parties from moving on.

I don't see apologising as a sign of weakness. In fact the opposite. It takes a lot of courage and it clears the air.

i respect you for thinking of it as courageous.
but i think i will always see it as something that hurts my ego :P lol im so arrogant
Reply 7
They're not afraid, they just think they are right and so dont need to
It's not easy to admit it but it does require a lot of guts and determination.
Original post by ikhan94
They're not afraid, they just think they are right and so dont need to

Yes that is one possibility. Most of the time people know when they have done wrong and as Sana malik mentions it is the ego that gets in the way of them apologizing.
Yes that is one possibility. Most of the time people know when they have done wrong and as Sana malik mentions it is the ego that gets in the way of them apologizing.

Im like that :wink:
Original post by ikhan94
Im like that :wink:

Hope I haven't hit a nerve with you mate. Lol
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I'am sorry but you would never catch me apologising regardless of whether i was wrong

why?
Hope I haven't hit a nerve with you mate. Lol

Loool naa mate :tongue:
why?

Im sorry but i just wont
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Im sorry but i just wont

you said sorry and said you wont..... hahaha XD
There's a thing called pride..... and a thing called dignity.... and a thing called they also don't deserve it.....
An apology can mean different things for different people and it depends on the situation.

If I've been arguing or had a disagreement, I find it more difficult to apologise, especially if I think I'm right.

Although sometimes I apologise for an easier life.
They'd rather not admit they're in the wrong. I've had cases before where instead of an apology, I've ended up being blamed for their behaviour. I'm sorry; but you're a grown man FFS. I can't force you to act the way you did. That was your choice. You need to take some responsibility for your behvaiour.
Original post by OU Student
They'd rather not admit they're in the wrong. I've had cases before where instead of an apology, I've ended up being blamed for their behaviour. I'm sorry; but you're a grown man FFS. I can't force you to act the way you did. That was your choice. You need to take some responsibility for your behvaiour.

That is astonishing. Well done for standing up to him

Quick Reply

Latest