The Student Room Group

What should I do about racial insensitivity from a teacher ?

A teacher I have recently said the n-word during a lesson when she was repeating what was said in a video about racial discrimination. This teacher happened to be white and with me being a black student, i was rightfully upset about this incident. When I asked her why she said it, she was very defensive and combative saying she only said it once and it was for an example. She didn't acknowledge that it was wrong for her to say the word and then said I was ' telling her how to speak' and she was very patronising when she said 'you've made your point' when I tried explaining why she should not have said it and again when she said 'if you feel offended I apologize'. She's the manager as well as my teacher at the college I go to. I did reach out to the head of department, explaining what had happened in an email and asking to talk with him about it face to face but he didn't seem concerned with what I said and had only given me a time and place we could have the meeting.

I don't think this incident was purposefully malicious but surely you should know not to say the n-word during a lesson especially if you're a white person but she didn't see an issue with that so I think that's the main concern. I don't know who else I should go to? Should I ask for HR or write an email to the principal?
I would move forward by talking to the head of department about why the word has such an impact on you as a black student and how you would like it to be handled in the future - for example requesting that teachers use 'the n word' in future rather than the word itself. Everyone knows what is meant by that by college age so there's no need for teachers to say the actual word. I definitely think it is worth emailing the principal and explaining the same points.
Reply 2
Original post by Jakson123
I would move forward by talking to the head of department about why the word has such an impact on you as a black student and how you would like it to be handled in the future - for example requesting that teachers use 'the n word' in future rather than the word itself. Everyone knows what is meant by that by college age so there's no need for teachers to say the actual word. I definitely think it is worth emailing the principal and explaining the same points.
Thank you for your reply Jackson. You're absolutely right, I couldn't believe my ears and I'm still low-key dumbfounded by this whole situation. I'll take your advise and I'll email the principal just in case the meeting doesn't go well with the head of department.
Thank again!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending