The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Evidence suggests red/processed meat increases cancer risk.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ian.slater
See my post .... 5% to 6% for daily bacon sandwich.

Fair enough, not really worth worrying about then.
Being alive increases your risk of cancer
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yet another example of the Quran being scientifically perfect. Avoid Pig allah said and BAM! Bacon and hotdogs contain carcinogens

No mention of the Quran or Allah. Sigh, some people's IQ levels.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
No mention of the Quran or Allah. Sigh, some people's IQ levels.

He warned us to stay away from these wretched swines and look, after all these years they turn out to be cancerous thus proof he truly is God
Well then you can pry my chorizo from my cold, dead hands. Yo como lo que quiero comer.
He warned us to stay away from these wretched swines and look, after all these years they turn out to be cancerous thus proof he truly is God

image.jpeg
Original post by MrKmas508
image.jpeg

lol
Something for people to note:

Forest
According to Professor Sir Richard Doll (the man who first discovered a correlation between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950s) research suggests that if you start smoking as a teenager and quit aged 30, the risk of developing lung cancer is 2 per cent; give up at 50 and the risk goes up to 8 per cent; give up at 70 (by which time you have been smoking for more than 50 years) and the risk rises to 16 per cent.

BBC News
50g of processed meat a day - less than two slices of bacon - increased the chance of developing colorectal cancer by 18%
Original post by a noble chance

So basically a bit of processed meat is a greater carcinogen than a lifetime to smoking it seems...

Though a point was raised that I'd be interested in, how does one define processed? There's a big difference between the sort of chemicals involved in the lowest quality supermarket bacon and the "fresh" cured meat product a butcher can produce.

Not a huge issue for me, as I'm mainly a white meat eater, incredibly rare to have bacon. Though I do have sausages once a week. But again, there's a gulf between a Sainsbury's basics sausage where a minority is meat and the rest is god knows what, and something freshly made by a quality butcher.

Then again it says red meat and processed. So does the beef/pork have the same carcinogenic properties before it's "processed", if not how processed does it need to be to become this great danger. Is me eating 70g of raw beef better than that same 70g which has been made into some sort of processed beef based product, say a supermarket frozen grillsteak with added rusk and such.

I understand the increased carcinogenic risk from BBQ food, but that's more soot from the coals on the food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Did they control for other behaviors like diet and exercise generally? Pretty big confounds...

You can make fun of my religion all you want. From children you must expect childish acts.
Reply 31
white meat ftw!

I swear this was old news or maybe I'm crazy lol...
Sacrifices are needed for dem gainz!!!
Original post by a noble chance

I think people should also note that, as to the red meat thing, what is being said is that the risk is increased by 18%, not to 18%. In this context, they should note that an 18% increase in a 1% risk results in a risk of 1.18%.

It seems that the actual numbers are a little higher than that:
Original post by ian.slater
David Spiegelhalter points out that this increases the chance that a given person gets bowel cancer from 5% to 6%.www.ima.org.uk/_db/_documents/maths09_spiegelhalter.pdfNote his talk was in 2009 and the news hasn't changed.
Anyway, I eat bacon and/or sausage maybe two or three times a week, and unprocessed pork/beef probably the same. I probably won't change my diet at all in response to this because #YOLO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending