The Student Room Group

Driving Exam soon!

Hey guys! Just needed some advice for the last month!

I have my test coming up in the first week of August!
I have completed the entire driving syllabus with my instructor and now I am doing mock exams in my lessons.

I have a one major mistake I keep making repetitively that I would like some advice on please.

When I am driving and the traffic light is changing colours to amber - i keep making a mistake and braking and falling into the cycle lane although I should have crossed. However, my anxiety prevents me from crossing in yellow and then it turns to red. This causes frustration to the driver behind as I should be crossing and increases the chances of collision.

I would highly appreciate if someone can give me piece of advice for the final month!!
Reply 1
Original post by MissCarter786

I have completed the entire driving syllabus with my instructor and now I am doing mock exams in my lessons.

I have a one major mistake I keep making repetitively that I would like some advice on please.

When I am driving and the traffic light is changing colours to amber - i keep making a mistake and braking and falling into the cycle lane although I should have crossed. However, my anxiety prevents me from crossing in yellow and then it turns to red. This causes frustration to the driver behind as I should be crossing and increases the chances of collision.

I would highly appreciate if someone can give me piece of advice for the final month!!

Hi there.

Try not to worry too much as making mistakes is a part of learning and you still have time to correct this. @Driving_Mad or @Dentaldreamss could advise further. :smile:

Best wishes for the test. :smile:

Hi there,

I completely understand what you’re going through! Oddly enough I had the same issue after one of my tests.
The only tip I can give for this particular scenario is don’t hesitate, if the light is amber and you’ve crossed that line- just go! It’s better than waiting on the line and failing and if you think you aren’t comfortable in doing so then perhaps slow down as you approach so that you’re not risking stopping midway. I don’t recommend the latter purely because the examiners might be critical if say there’s a driver behind you and you slow them down or if you’re waiting for the light to turn red, because technically you shouldn’t come to a complete stop before that. Time the lights if you have to.
I’d suggest just doing your observations and carrying on though, because if you’re in the middle of the road after the lights change the other cars have to give you way regardless because there’s no other way around you.
So don’t stress.

I’d also recommend you asking your instructor to do as many junctions with you are possible because the more practice the better.

I hope this helps.

All the best:smile:

Thanks for the tag @TriplexA
Reply 3

this may sound really weird but the thing that helped me was… chewing gum😭😭😭 i promise it stops the stress and calms you down!! i swear by it!!
good luck xxx

I don’t think that counts as a serious fault anyway. Also, if you pass through amber that is fine. If you’re approaching traffic lights that are green from a long way away cover the break and anticipate them changing, so if you’re too far away you can stop in time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending