The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

It feels like this half term has gone both slowly and quickly! In so many ways I'm excited for the next section, but right now I'm loving having a bit of time to myself (although I am dedicating a little time each day to teaching-related things, such as my PGCE assignment and my evidence folders). Actually managed to read a book today!
Hi,

If you can still remember...did you need to bring your birth certificate to a PGCE interview? I'm only asking as mine is not in English and I will have to have it translated. Thanks.
Original post by S27
If we can't (or don't want to) get a job after PGCE do we have to repay the bursary? Hopefully i enjoy it (which i am, really enjoying actually) and secure a job, but what if forever reason we don't?

Note, the bursary is yours and the only condition is completing the study.

Some unis get you to sign a form at the start saying you intend to go in to teaching but I can't see that there's anything they can do if you change your mind. My friend got a different job and has had no issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7503
Original post by kpwxx
Note, the bursary is yours and the only condition is completing the study.

Some unis get you to sign a form at the start saying you intend to go in to teaching but I can't see that there's anything they can do if you change your mind. My friend got a different job and has had no issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, i had to sign and that is why i am a little worried.
Original post by S27
Thanks, i had to sign and that is why i am a little worried.

That is a uni requirement not a government requirement on the bursary. I think you'd be fine anyway as you do intend on getting a job... Circumstances are allowed to change and they can't expect every single person to go in to teaching when the course is for many their first experience.

My friend had to sign a form BTW, the one who decided to go down a different route afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7505
Original post by kpwxx
That is a uni requirement not a government requirement on the bursary. I think you'd be fine anyway as you do intend on getting a job... Circumstances are allowed to change and they can't expect every single person to go in to teaching when the course is for many their first experience.

My friend had to sign a form BTW, the one who decided to go down a different route afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Part of it for me is i do intend to teach however i may go a haitus after completing a PGCE or do a masters and not teach straight away.
If I removed a student from my class, as a PGCE trainee, or a fully qualified teacher would I still be in the teaching profession?

Yes or no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXK1eiY4FGc
Original post by xjay1234
If I removed a student from my class, as a PGCE trainee, or a fully qualified teacher would I still be in the teaching profession?

Yes or no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXK1eiY4FGc

If you mean physically remove, that's a big no-no. But asking a pupil to stand outside, or if particularly annoying to get out, is fine.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
8 :smile:

Only 8 standards! I heard a rumour about that but thought it was just a rumour. I only graduated a couple of years ago but there were 32. Of which many were divided into 2 to 4 subsections. Took forever to find a piece of evidence to support each of those.
Original post by Sportycb
Only 8 standards! I heard a rumour about that but thought it was just a rumour. I only graduated a couple of years ago but there were 32. Of which many were divided into 2 to 4 subsections. Took forever to find a piece of evidence to support each of those.

I think it's the same 2012 standards. There are 8 Standards + professional conduct but each subdivided into sections so you're right, overall it's over 30 (a lot of plastic pockets in my empty folder).

Some of them, like positive relationship etc I have no clue how those can be evidenced.
For things like positive relationships, see if there are any comments your mentor makes during an observation - if there's a comment about good atmosphere, professional relationship I would interpret those as contributing to a positive relationship - photocopy the observation record and highlight the comments made
Reply 7511
What do people mean when they say "support for learning"?
Original post by pillinois
For things like positive relationships, see if there are any comments your mentor makes during an observation - if there's a comment about good atmosphere, professional relationship I would interpret those as contributing to a positive relationship - photocopy the observation record and highlight the comments made

Thank you - at this particular placement we don't have a school mentor like others so not getting written feedback - but I may ask the CT nicely if she's willing to put something in writing before I leave.

Can't believe that the half-term is over, and that in 4 week's time I'll be in a 'real' placement teaching full lessons.

BTW what do trainees normally give to the school/ class teacher/ the class when they leave? I'd like to give them something nice but don't want to overdo it either.
Original post by hana&feather
Thank you - at this particular placement we don't have a school mentor like others so not getting written feedback - but I may ask the CT nicely if she's willing to put something in writing before I leave.

Can't believe that the half-term is over, and that in 4 week's time I'll be in a 'real' placement teaching full lessons.

BTW what do trainees normally give to the school/ class teacher/ the class when they leave? I'd like to give them something nice but don't want to overdo it either.

I gave my first mentor some chocolates and a card.

Second mentor is now one of my good friends and I got him a book he'd been wanting for ages, some chocolates and some wine.
Original post by S27
What do people mean when they say "support for learning"?

Anything you do to facilitate all pupils to get the most from the main. Basically, differentiation with a few bells and whistles. At least that's how is interpret it.
What exactly is a dynamic lesson?
Really feeling it today. Trying to juggle buying a house with being a teacher and it's starting to actually take everything out of me.
Original post by sunfowers01
What exactly is a dynamic lesson?

In what context are you seeing/hearing it? To me it wold be any lesson that actively engaged pupils - I.E. not a chalk-and-talk lesson.
Original post by tory88
In what context are you seeing/hearing it? To me it wold be any lesson that actively engaged pupils - I.E. not a chalk-and-talk lesson.

The teachers I work with commented that my part of the lesson isn't dynamic enough. I do the English conversation part with large classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be dynamic it should have a start to grab their interest and enthusiasm, and then various activities so that they remain engaged. The start is vital...if they are engaged and activities varied the dynamics will be there. Hope that helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending