The Student Room Group

Restaurant bans vegans after an online protest

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/a-restaurant-owner-has-been-waging-an-online-war-with-v-1739249109

For a TL;DR - vegan goes into a predominately meat restaurant with no prior notice, complains when they can't provide them with a meal. Restaurant offers a polite request to accommodate if given a bit of warning, vegans stage a bad review protest so they end up banned, and actually give the restaurant more good publicity than it could ever buy.

That restaurant owner is a hero. Absolutely pathetic to react to a simple request to help them accommodate you by trying to trash their reputation on behalf of the vegan.

Scroll to see replies

This is wonderful.
Best laugh I've had in a while.
Now, as fun it is to jump on the "stupid vegans" bandwagon, lets look at whats happening here.

- Vegan goes into a restaurant.
- Restaurant does not have anything suitable

This is where it gets tricky. The restaurant (apparently) politely told the Vegan that they could not accommodate their diet. They call the Vegan diet Idiosyncratic online, which the Vegan seems to take as meaning idiotic. The Vegan is angry at this and posts about it in a review.

The restaurant then responds by banning all vegans from the restaurant.

The whole thing is just incredibly childish from all sides. This isn't the "vegan expects the world to bend to them" story it's made to be, because lets be honest, it never is.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Now, as fun it is to jump on the "stupid vegans" bandwagon, lets look at whats happening here.

- Vegan goes into a restaurant.
- Restaurant does not have anything suitable

This is where it gets tricky. The restaurant (apparently) politely told the Vegan that they could not accommodate their diet. They call the Vegan diet Idiosyncratic online, which the Vegan seems to take as meaning idiotic. The Vegan is angry at this and posts about it in a review.

The restaurant then responds by banning all vegans from the restaurant.

The whole thing is just incredibly childish from all sides. This isn't the "vegan expects the world to bend to them" story it's made to be, because lets be honest, it never is.

While it wasn't the diplomatic option, I think the restaurant had to take a tough line to stop them trashing the restaurant's reputation unjustifiably.
Reply 5
I too am in firm agreement that both parties are being childish. Yes, a bunch of vegans shouldn't have been snobby asses and posted a load of bad reviews unnecessarily, but on the flipside the owner has gone and punished absolute every single vegan out there which is total bull*** for the other 95% of vegans who had absolutely nothing to do with this whole fiasco.
Original post by Unkempt_One
While it wasn't the diplomatic option, I think the restaurant had to take a tough line to stop them trashing the restaurant's reputation unjustifiably.

I don't see how banning a bunch of people who have nothing to do with the issue because a bunch of people who never went to the restaurant left negative reviews is in any way justified.
I don't see how banning a bunch of people who have nothing to do with the issue because a bunch of people who never went to the restaurant left negative reviews is in any way justified.

It seemed pretty clear in any case that the restaurant was not in a position to cater for them, or in any case understandably changed their mind after being bombarded by an internet's worth of idiocy. I simply think if they caved in under that pressure they wouldn't have looked at all good.
This wasn't the end of the story, the reviews for the cafe also took off 1* by vegans and then 5* by people who thought it was funny. Currently at 4.2* with 10k reviews total.

I think people hugely over reacted to this, it was clearly a joke. I mean the fb now is saying its fine to smoke weed in the cafe because the police didn't notice his mass shooting of vegans.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I simply think if they caved in under that pressure they wouldn't have looked at all good.

By "cave in" do you mean "not whine about a customer" or "not banning anyone remotely connected to their critics"?
By "cave in" do you mean "not whine about a customer" or "not banning anyone remotely connected to their critics"?

They didn't whine about a customer though - they made a perfectly reasonable request, the customer played the victim and the restaurant owner just put them in their place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That guy deserves a medal, possibly even a trophy.
Reply 12
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/a-restaurant-owner-has-been-waging-an-online-war-with-v-1739249109

For a TL;DR - vegan goes into a predominately meat restaurant with no prior notice, complains when they can't provide them with a meal. Restaurant offers a polite request to accommodate if given a bit of warning, vegans stage a bad review protest so they end up banned, and actually give the restaurant more good publicity than it could ever buy.

That restaurant owner is a hero. Absolutely pathetic to react to a simple request to help them accommodate you by trying to trash their reputation on behalf of the vegan.

You find the vegan pathetic yet you don't find the restaurant owner banning all vegans pathetic?
Original post by Eggs20
You find the vegan pathetic yet you don't find the restaurant owner banning all vegans pathetic?

Given the owner was quite obviously taking the piss out of them, no.
Glad to hear it

So many of these vegans are in dire need of a good sausage
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They didn't whine about a customer though - they made a perfectly reasonable request, the customer played the victim and the restaurant owner just put them in their place.

Yes they did. They felt the need to make a facebook post complaining about a Vegan customer being unhappy with the lack of vegan options.

Also, I would hardly call declaring a ban on all vegans putting them in their place.
Reply 16
good. Hopefully the UK will take the hint and ban all vegans too.
Not as pathetic as the girl summoning the Vegan military to leave bad reviews (before he joked about shooting them).
Yes they did. They felt the need to make a facebook post complaining about a Vegan customer being unhappy with the lack of vegan options.

Also, I would hardly call declaring a ban on all vegans putting them in their place.

They made the post as a polite request for advanced notice if you wanted something not on the ordinary menu. That's not whining, that's a perfectly normal and standard response to an event like that; and it goes for everyone in every restaurant, not just those with niche diets in that one: if you want something special, you need to check with them before hand and give them notice to be able to put it together

They tried to ruin his reputation so he took the piss out of them, perfectly fair response - frankly they shouldn't have been so pissy about someone doing their best to accommodate them in a non-vegan restaurant.
Lettuce?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending