The Student Room Group

Automotive Engineering a good degree?

Hey all,

So, I have a dilemma. I've recently picked up an interest in cars (partially due to the amazing tv commercials, and my sudden interest in physics) and have decided I would like to go into that business; you know, creating exterior or interior car designs... It all seems so luxurious and knowing there's going to be an end product of your creation. However, I have no idea what degree I'd need for that. I've researched a bit and stumbled upon 'Automotive Engineering' but the issue is that not many uni's offer it (and the one's that do don't seem well regarded). In conclusion, I'm suspecting that this degree isn't very respectable? And it seems so subjective, like I wouldn't be able to go into other fields if I suddenly had a change of heart.

In contrast to this Mechanical Engineering (the degree I was originally interested in) sounds more diverse- and apparently I can go into banking with it. What I'm saying is that I want a degree where I'm 100% guaranteed a job in that field or at least allows some flexibility.

Anyway, what else can I do to increase my chances in getting into this field? Any extra qualifications? Work experience?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Automotive engineering could be a good degree, but it does limit your targeted engineering companies to just the automotive sector (which could be a good thing, if you are really interested in getting a job there). You will also be able to apply for a job in the financial sector, as you will have good quantitative skills, but it will certainly limit your targeted engineering companies compared to a Mechanical Engineering one. There is no such degree or University which could offer you 100% guaranteed job, it's you and your personality and skills gained, which will help you with securing a job.
Original post by funkybinoculars
Hey all,

So, I have a dilemma. I've recently picked up an interest in cars (partially due to the amazing tv commercials, and my sudden interest in physics) and have decided I would like to go into that business; you know, creating exterior or interior car designs... It all seems so luxurious and knowing there's going to be an end product of your creation. However, I have no idea what degree I'd need for that. I've researched a bit and stumbled upon 'Automotive Engineering' but the issue is that not many uni's offer it (and the one's that do don't seem well regarded). In conclusion, I'm suspecting that this degree isn't very respectable? And it seems so subjective, like I wouldn't be able to go into other fields if I suddenly had a change of heart.

In contrast to this Mechanical Engineering (the degree I was originally interested in) sounds more diverse- and apparently I can go into banking with it. What I'm saying is that I want a degree where I'm 100% guaranteed a job in that field or at least allows some flexibility.

Anyway, what else can I do to increase my chances in getting into this field? Any extra qualifications? Work experience?

Thank you :smile:

A few of my students have gone to study Automotive Engineering - some modules overlap with Mech Eng but you study design and other business aspects.

The unis that do it are often the new unis - Oxford Brookes was the first to start this degree. However, the employability stats are high and the degrees are more geared to industry standards ie use industry standard software like Solidworks and CATIA,

It does not limit you to jobs in the Automotive industry ...

Quick Reply

Latest