The Student Room Group

Is It Illegal To Do This In England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SwedishRedhead
The thread isn't serious but you seem like a very good law student haha :colondollar:

Thanks. I was useful to think back over those topics anyway.

And that's good to know. Understand that I volunteered a serious answer (as, I assume did the person whom I quoted) because I've seen weirder and potentially more worrying things on this forum which have turned out to be true, so I always verge on the side of sincerity. As it's only a bit of fun, treat my comment as the same if possible or else just ignore it completely; it's fully not my intention to intrude on anyone's joke
Original post by Nolofinwë

And that's good to know. Understand that I volunteered a serious answer (as, I assume did the person whom I quoted) because I've seen weirder and potentially more worrying things on this forum which have turned out to be true, so I always verge on the side of sincerity. As it's only a bit of fun, treat my comment as the same if possible or else just ignore it completely; it's fully not my intention to intrude on anyone's joke

You must be getting 1sts :tongue:

Yeah the Internet has its elliot rodger types unfortunately

On a light note do you have an Elvish username?
You must be getting 1sts :tongue:

Yeah the Internet has its elliot rodger types unfortunately

On a light note do you have an Elvish username?

You're the first person to have noticed that, so well spotted. I set the account up a few years ago having just read the silmarillion (only started using it recently, and then infrequently, to comment on topics like this, as it can be useful to think bits of law over etc.). It's Fingolfin's name in Quenya if a remember correctly, but I can't recall his plot line.
Did it with a pigs head in halls... Got into serips #### with the uni.. Not police.
take my reps

sowry :innocent:
You're the first person to have noticed that, so well spotted. I set the account up a few years ago having just read the silmarillion (only started using it recently, and then infrequently, to comment on topics like this, as it can be useful to think bits of law over etc.). It's Fingolfin's name in Quenya if a remember correctly, but I can't recall his plot line.

I'm reading the Silmarillion now it's great! I don't think I have got to that page yet though.

LOTR nerd here :biggrin:

Nah, I wasn't completely serious, Lord Denning would have thrown out the case anyway.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Nah, I wasn't completely serious, Lord Denning would have thrown out the case anyway.

I wouldn't count on that, I'm sure Lord Denning would find a way to tag the psychological harm onto the damage to the bed sheets, plus random compensation for his uni fees and sentence the prankster to 10 years incarceration all in the same paragraph.
I wouldn't count on that, I'm sure Lord Denning would find a way to tag the psychological harm onto the damage to the bed sheets, plus random compensation for his uni fees and sentence the prankster to 10 years incarceration all in the same paragraph.
He was a very practical judge though, despite his ability to perform legal gymnastics!
Reply 29

I FOUND FINGOLFIN ON TSR YESSSSSSSSS
lol, maybe this will help you remember a bit: he's Fëanor's half brother, the one that Fëanor goes all "come at me bro" on (except it was more like "come at me half-bro", then Fingolfin forgives Fëanor for it and says some nice things to Fëanor and then Fëanor is just like, "yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever" and doesn't even apologize for nearly skewering Fingolfin. Fast forward a few hundred years and Fingolfin becomes High King of the Noldor, courtesy of Fëanor's oldest son who was technically High King at the time, then later on, Fingolfin decides it's a good idea to challenge Morgoth to single combat, goes into berzerker-mode (and makes all the orcs and balrogs run away from him because they think he's a god, specifically Oromë (the Vala that hunts a lot), not out of fear, but almost out of something like respect), then wounds Morgoth an impressive 7 times, and causes Morgoth to limp from then on (it's kind of hard to be intimidating if you're a big bad guy and you have a limp, just a general observation). So yeah, he's pretty awesome, and I applaud your username choice.

I may or may not be a Tolkien nerd, and I may or may not have an OCD-like urge to vomit summaries of the life stories of characters that I like whenever I see a general need to. Oops :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Yavanna
I FOUND FINGOLFIN ON TSR YESSSSSSSSS
lol, maybe this will help you remember a bit: he's Fëanor's half brother, the one that Fëanor goes all "come at me bro" on (except it was more like "come at me half-bro", then Fingolfin forgives Fëanor for it and says some nice things to Fëanor and then Fëanor is just like, "yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever" and doesn't even apologize for nearly skewering Fingolfin. Fast forward a few hundred years and Fingolfin becomes High King of the Noldor, courtesy of Fëanor's oldest son who was technically High King at the time, then later on, Fingolfin decides it's a good idea to challenge Morgoth to single combat, goes into berzerker-mode (and makes all the orcs and balrogs run away from him because they think he's a god, specifically Oromë (the Vala that hunts a lot), not out of fear, but almost out of something like respect), then wounds Morgoth an impressive 7 times, and causes Morgoth to limp from then on (it's kind of hard to be intimidating if you're a big bad guy and you have a limp, just a general observation). So yeah, he's pretty awesome, and I applaud your username choice.

I may or may not be a Tolkien nerd, and I may or may not have an OCD-like urge to vomit summaries of the life stories of characters that I like whenever I see a general need to. Oops :smile:

It do remember some of that now that you recount it. I'm afraid his fourth age incarnation has seen him become somewhat duller, as he now mainly hangs around the TSR law forums giving opinions on bit of private law. It's not exactly battling Morgoth, but someone's got to do it.

I can remember that Yavanna was the goddess of most living things, and made some trees which turned out to be fairly important to the overall plot - I admire your username choice as well.
Reply 31
My apologies for intervening, but I thought I should comment on a few of these.

GBH - the psychiatric injury would have to be very severe. The psychiatric injury which arises from this situation would in all likelihood be classed as ABH, which would then definitely raise the issue of consent on the grounds of 'horseplay' (a rather unfortunate term in this context). It's possible, therefore, but I think somewhat unlikely (which I understand to be your position).

Liability for psychiatric injury in tort - I really cannot see this working. He would have to be a primary victim, but I cannot see an inanimate chattel injuring or putting him at fear of injury in a way which could be causatively linked to the psychiatric harm: the harm would arise from the sight of the head, not the (apprehension of) harm which the head will cause.

Assault (criminal): again, I do not believe an inanimate chattel can cause him to apprehend immediate violence/contact. While he could come into contact with it, it is not able to (threaten to) inflict the contact on him, as would be necessary for assault. Once again, the issue of consent would also arise.

Assault (civil): I don't know enough about this to offer a comment assuredly.

Liability for any damage to the bed etc. in trespass to goods/negligence etc.: undoubtedly so, as you say.

To the OP, I can't see it being a criminal wrong, but you could face civil liability, potentially giving your friend the option to sue for any damage which results. The usual disclaimers about giving legal advice on here apply (i.e. I only offer my opinion on the law; do not rely on it or assume that it is correct. Please consult a lawyer for legal advice). Since they are your proposed actions, I'll leave the judgment of the moral soundness, aside from the legal acceptability, to you.

This sounded so much like Rumpole of the Bailey that I involuntarily snorted as I laughed! Please accept my admiring rep points.
You are an absolute legend mate. :biggrin:
oh my god my heart would beat out of my mouth the minute i realise i am covered in something a wet, gooey red substance :indiff:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
oh my god my heart would beat out of my mouth the minute i realise i am covered in something a wet, gooey red substance :indiff:

Jam?
Original post by DiddyDec
Jam?

hate jam :afraid: the smell omg :indiff:

also, your university looks v posh
Reply 36
It do remember some of that now that you recount it. I'm afraid his fourth age incarnation has seen him become somewhat duller, as he now mainly hangs around the TSR law forums giving opinions on bit of private law. It's not exactly battling Morgoth, but someone's got to do it.

I can remember that Yavanna was the goddess of most living things, and made some trees which turned out to be fairly important to the overall plot - I admire your username choice as well.

Well, at least he has a fourth age incarnation! I actually considered studying law (I ended up choosing engineering) tbh, so that's pretty cool haha and thank you :biggrin:
hate jam :afraid: the smell omg :indiff:

also, your university looks v posh

Have you been stalking me?
Original post by DiddyDec
Have you been stalking me?

Yes. :indiff:
Yes. :indiff:

Well I regret to inform you that I no longer attend university. I work for a bank now, the first letter of their name is B.

Quick Reply

Latest