The Student Room Group

Mini roundabout U turn

Today I was coming up to this tight mini roundabout there was a big ranger rover going to turn right 3rd exit however they didn't and they did a U turn on this tiny roundabout I was turning left however I was still creeping up as it was hard to see what is coming the other way the main point is, That I was still behind the white giveaway line, this car trying to pull a U turn had to slam his car into reverse or he would cut over the white give way line and could have gone into me. When he drove on pass he gave me the middle finger and I also noticed he had a dashcam. Do you reckon he could report me for anything as it has shaken me up a little. The main defences I have is that he reversed in the centre of a mini roundabout (I think he cut over the island in doing so). Also I was behind the giveaway line, Not about to shoot out Infront of him or anything.
Reply 1
Whilst it's not an illegal maneuver to do a U turn in a mini round about its not recommended. If the range rover passed the give way line it had right of way. In terms of you getting in trouble I highly doubt that. Even though range rover drivers think they own the road I highly doubt they would give this incident the time of day unless they feel you hurt the baby
Original post by Random12345698
Today I was coming up to this tight mini roundabout there was a big ranger rover going to turn right 3rd exit however they didn't and they did a U turn on this tiny roundabout I was turning left however I was still creeping up as it was hard to see what is coming the other way the main point is, That I was still behind the white giveaway line, this car trying to pull a U turn had to slam his car into reverse or he would cut over the white give way line and could have gone into me. When he drove on pass he gave me the middle finger and I also noticed he had a dashcam. Do you reckon he could report me for anything as it has shaken me up a little. The main defences I have is that he reversed in the centre of a mini roundabout (I think he cut over the island in doing so). Also I was behind the giveaway line, Not about to shoot out Infront of him or anything.

If you were behind the give way line you did nothing wrong - it sounds as if he did though!
Reply 3
Doing U turns on a mini roundabout is forbidden in the Highway Code and reversing sounds pretty dodgy too. Can quite fathom the situation you describe but I would say it’s highly unlikely there’s any comeback on you
Cheers guys, hopefully all is good but I still hate mini roundabouts regards tbh
Original post by Zarek
Doing U turns on a mini roundabout is forbidden in the Highway Code

No it isn't.

This is what the Highway Code says:

Rule 188
Mini-roundabouts. [text omitted] Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
No it isn't.

Rule 188
Mini-roundabouts. [text omitted] Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

Avoid = do not allow yourself to do something
Reply 7
Yes I concer regarding the U turn, as the other could not go over the roundabout as its illegal it he no choice but reverse which is the issue. When in doubt just stay back

Original post by martin7
No it isn't.

Rule 188

Original post by Zarek
Avoid = do not allow yourself to do something

When the Highway Code states something that is required or prohibited by law, it uses the phrasing MUST or MUST NOT, in bold capitals. See the section "Wording of The Highway Code" at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction.

As this rule is not written using MUST or MUST NOT, it's not the law.
Reply 9
Original post by martin7
When the Highway Code states something that is required or prohibited by law, it uses the phrasing MUST or MUST NOT, in bold capitals. See the section "Wording of The Highway Code" at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction.

As this rule is not written using MUST or MUST NOT, it's not the law.

I didn’t say it was prohibited by law. Forbidden = not allowed
Original post by Zarek
I didn’t say it was prohibited by law. Forbidden = not allowed

But "avoid" doesn't mean "forbidden".

"Avoid" is a strong recommendation not to do something. But it's not a prohibition on doing it.
Looks like Zarek's doing a u turn as well lol.

Don't worry, OP - from your description, you weren't doing anything wrong.
Reply 12
Original post by martin7
But "avoid" doesn't mean "forbidden".

"Avoid" is a strong recommendation not to do something. But it's not a prohibition on doing it.

The Highway Code indicates not to do it, that much is clear. Not to mention that trying it in a large vehicle like a range rover will certainly lead to problems
Original post by Random12345698

Don't worry about dashcam footage - it's not that deep. Just bear in mind that, rightly or wrongly, people do commonly do U-turns on mini-roundabouts so watch out for the angle of the car and keep your wits about you: as with all driving. :smile:
Reply 14
I've found this thread as I was searching for this exact situation. In fact, I have actually done this - U turn on a mini-roundabout, also reversing as I couldn't fit otherwise.

In fact, I did this on my driving exam. Well, long story short it's not a serious fault, so yeah they can do that. I believe they still have to ensure they reverse safely as I did by looking if anyone is confused by their manouver and has went into the mini roundabout as they stand in the middle of it freaking reversing.

So yeah.... definitely should not but not illegal. I passed my exam.
(edited 8 months ago)
U-turns are NOT illegal on mini roundabouts. I was nearly hit by a car doing one, they aren't recommended and I avoid them whenever possible but they are legal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending