The Student Room Group

Moving to London. TSR what should I know?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RiotGirll
I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?

Central London is really lively, amazing nightlife, lots of things to do, inc clubs/shopping/pubs etc etc. Its expensive, driving is a mission in central and parking is expensive.
Reply 121
Haha :lol: Some taxi drivers in Blackpool are really dodgy and will take routes I know are longer on purpose while talking my ear off, I hate that :colonhash:

Is it for inflation? :tongue: I heard guys try to start fights with other guys more but unless you swear at people or something or something that's still not on :nope:

By starting a conversation do you mean chatting them up or just general convos? I'm from up North so the latter is pretty common. I love good food, how expensive is it and where are the best restaurants? :drool: Is Soho that good that you keep going back? :tongue:

Inflation yes but I do believe for a few years they hiked it above inflation :holmes: Well the drivers here always tell me which way they're going first and I know my way around a bit now, they can't cheat me :proud:, it just is a matter of traffic luck with the traffic. Hmm maybe? I've not seen a lot of fighting in Soho. There's police often about walking by and security guards everywhere and stuff. You're more likely to step glass than have see a fight tbh. I do wonder how many glasses are broken on average in bars :beard:

I mean general convos. Though you can chat up people too :wink: I can assure you we are not friendly people talk to strangers kind of people in London unless we've had a few drinks!

I think it's more the case of my favourite bars and clubs being in the surrounding area and being dragged out by friends to see a play or musical or go to and LGBTQ+ bar (which there are plenty). I know a lot of gays and lesbains :yucky: so I can't really escape LGBTQ+ central even if I tried.
Reply 122
Original post by ipoop
Inflation yes but I do believe for a few years they hiked it above inflation :holmes: Well the drivers here always tell me which way they're going first and I know my way around a bit now, they can't cheat me :proud:, it just is a matter of traffic luck with the traffic. Hmm maybe? I've not seen a lot of fighting in Soho. There's police often about walking by and security guards everywhere and stuff. You're more likely to step glass than have see a fight tbh. I do wonder how many glasses are broken on average in bars :beard:

I mean general convos. Though you can chat up people too :wink: I can assure you we are not friendly people talk to strangers kind of people in London unless we've had a few drinks!

I think it's more the case of my favourite bars and clubs being in the surrounding area and being dragged out by friends to see a play or musical or go to and LGBTQ+ bar (which there are plenty). I know a lot of gays and lesbains :yucky: so I can't really escape LGBTQ+ central even if I tried.

I always hassle the drivers if they seem to be taking an odd route haha. Sometimes they just go slowly instead though :nope:

Yeah, the security guards in Blackpool all know me now and look out for me because I go out so much :lol: I was going home alone in Manchester though and some of them were a bit dodgy, one even followed me down the road for a bit :grumble:

That's not always a bad thing though. Some older guys up North pretend to be "friendly" but are obviously just creeping hard.

What bars/clubs would you recommend? I didn't know Soho was LGBTQ+ central (I'm a noob haha), am bicurious so was actually thinking of exploring that once I got to London :teehee:
Reply 123
I always hassle the drivers if they seem to be taking an odd route haha. Sometimes they just go slowly instead though :nope:

Yeah, the security guards in Blackpool all know me now and look out for me because I go out so much :lol: I was going home alone in Manchester though and some of them were a bit dodgy, one even followed me down the road for a bit :grumble:

That's not always a bad thing though. Some older guys up North pretend to be "friendly" but are obviously just creeping hard.

What bars/clubs would you recommend? I didn't know Soho was LGBTQ+ central (I'm a noob haha), am bicurious so was actually thinking of exploring that once I got to London :teehee:

Old people here have their posh looking pubs in Leicester Square :tongue: We're always out of place when we do a pub crawl in Leicester Square :tongue:

I'll send you a PM later or something, I will probably rant and give you the lowkey gossip about every single one place I've been to :tongue:

Bicurious huh, I'm full on hardcore bisexual, get on my level bitch :pierre:
Reply 124
Original post by ipoop
Old people here have their posh looking pubs in Leicester Square :tongue: We're always out of place when we do a pub crawl in Leicester Square :tongue:

I'll send you a PM later or something, I will probably rant and give you the lowkey gossip about every single one place I've been to :tongue:

Bicurious huh, I'm full on hardcore bisexual, get on my level bitch :pierre:

So Leicester Square is more where older people go out? :tongue: I like going out where there are older people though it has a cool vibe. Btw what do you think of Fabric? I don't really like electronic music but have heard it's a must do club.

Thanks, that would be so helpful :biggrin:

I'm only starting off, take me a while to get on your level :frown: :getmecoat:
Reply 125
Stand on the f****** right side on any escalator in a tube station
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?

London is ****.
Avoid eye-contact at all costs, unless you want to melt...

Reply 128
So Leicester Square is more where older people go out? :tongue: I like going out where there are older people though it has a cool vibe. Btw what do you think of Fabric? I don't really like electronic music but have heard it's a must do club.

Thanks, that would be so helpful :biggrin:

I'm only starting off, take me a while to get on your level :frown: :getmecoat:

I have never been to Fabric, I don't like electro music either. I prefer dancing to cheesy music, I am your guy if you want to go to 90s discos :proud: Even though my music library is far from 90s disco :colondollar: I see a lot of old people in Leicester Square pubs a lot on the weekend, maybe it's because it's the West End, they have pre drinks and stuff before going to see a show :holmes:
Original post by ivy.98
Don't be chatty to randoms on public transport and for the love of God, stand on the right of underground escalators

Oh Yes!!
Reply 130
Everything is expensive, get an oyster card, don't start chit chat with random strangers, rush hour is horrific, don't make eye contact with chavs, cinema tickets vary to where in london you go, tubes may seem really complicated but you'll understand really quick. And you can always find something to do.
What are the OK places/nasty areas? Ty in advance :colondollar:

I thought it was just stereotypes before I met them, I don't like judging people. But they're some of the rudest people I've met definitely avoid :lol:

Well I won't be earning billions that's for sure :frown:

Basically, since Canary Wharf and its surrounding areas have been significantly redeveloped, you just need to stay away from the "old" parts of areas like Bow, Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel etc. You should look for recent developments!

When I was at uni, I rented a flat in St. John's Wood, purely because I didn't want exposure to any "instability".

At the end of the day, it all depends on your budget and the kind of people you want to live around :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heh :smile:

Greenwich is across the river so do you usually walk through the tunnel even at night?

Do most people "go out" in the centre then? What's a good area if you go out often and don't want a long night commute? :tongue:

I've never actually walked it on my own, because I never went there on my own, but with housemates, yeah, we've walked the underground tunnel at all hours. It seems fine.

I don't really know what most people do -- there are people everywhere :tongue: And you're going to have a long commute wherever you go, unless you just jump in an uber as I saw someone suggest. Sorry for a bit of a non-answer but really you'll end up going out everywhere over time.
Understanding the tube isn't actually that bad.
Reply 134
Original post by queen-bee
Things move quickly in London,it's a fast life,plenty of rude people,war zone on the tube during rush hour time,great parks,lots to do/places to visit

great parks where?

Also, OP, making eye contact with strangers is forbidden on the underground.
Original post by MAINE.
great parks where?

Also, OP, making eye contact with strangers is forbidden on the underground.

Oh my, yes! Always make sure you have interesting games installed on your phone because I can assure you there'll be nowhere you can look without looking awkward :rofl:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Oh my, yes! Always make sure you have interesting games installed on your phone because I can assure you there'll be nowhere you can look without looking awkward :rofl:

Evening standard.

Or stare intently at the maps above the heads of the people opposite.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Evening standard.

Or stare intently at the maps above the heads of the people opposite.

I guess.

My eyeballs get tired from looking at the maps for too long :bawling:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I guess.

My eyeballs get tired from looking at the maps for too long :bawling:

You could just pick people to stare out and freak them out
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You could just pick people to stare out and freak them out

No because I know something weird is going to happen like eye twitches or get the sniffles :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest