The Student Room Group

I don't understand why people hate Hunters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ForgetMe
I feel like I'm speaking to a wall.

You should feel less and think more.
Original post by RiskVsReward
Where did I mention high powered rifles? I didn't even say elephants.
You can hunt down many things with basic tools.

Also we are more evolved, we have developed firearms.
That's like saying you should sleep on the floor because our ancestors did...

You commented that it was about feeling like our ancient ancestors, kill or be killed. Our ancestors hunted animals that actually had a chance of being able to kill them. Most hunting today is doing with rifles and the animal has virtually no chance of fighting back, so it is hardly kill or be killed.

I don't sleep to feel like an ancient ancestor, so that really is a bad analogy.
Original post by sr90
Just me who thought this was about World of Warcraft?

I haven't even played that game in years :lol:

I hunt alone- Rexxar. Hunters are cool, especially in Hearthstone :P
I haven't got a problem with it. This is why you shouldn't to. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hunters kill animals for the thrill of the hunt. It doesn't need to happen but does.
We eat animals, for the taste value. It doesn't need to happen but it does.
We could have a vegetarian diet and live normally perfectly fine. But most don't.

So why do so many people hate hunters?

Edit: Animals are not special in the grand scheme of things, you aren't too. Nothing is especially special. So saying to stop extinction is just stupid, it itself is a natural process which could aso be argued. Look at how much is wasted of stupid bamboo eating panda bear. It cost so much to maintain when it would have died out naturally. Could have saved many people.

It's not entirely about fun for hunters. In the country foxes are vermin, They kill livestock and I don't mean taking a chicken to feed their family, I mean taking one and killing or at least maiming the rest of the coop 'for fun'. 9 out of 10 times hunters don't catch anything anyway. I hate the way anti -hunting people say 'oh poor little foxes, leave them alone', most of them probably haven't even seen a fox in the flesh.
Original post by hippieglitter
It's not entirely about fun for hunters. In the country foxes are vermin, They kill livestock and I don't mean taking a chicken to feed their family, I mean taking one and killing or at least maiming the rest of the coop 'for fun'. 9 out of 10 times hunters don't catch anything anyway. I hate the way anti -hunting people say 'oh poor little foxes, leave them alone', most of them probably haven't even seen a fox in the flesh.

You are confusing traditional horseback hunting with hunters with shotguns and rifles.
It isn't very common in the UK for people to hunt and shoot purely for fun. There are usually other reasons for it as well, not just the sporting element. A lot of people don't seem to realise this.

Pheasant, partridge, duck, etc shooting is fun, but you get meat from it.

Shooting rabbits and pigeons is fun, but that's also a form of pest control (that produces edible meat) for agricultural land (and with rabbits, woodland as well).

Deer stalking is fun, but they are culled to protect woodland regeneration, and of course you can get meat from it.

Shooting grey squirrels is fun, but aside from the meat (yet again) they need to be culled for the sake of native wildlife like red squirrels, and to protect trees from bark stripping that can damage and kill trees (a problem with some timber crops).

I don't have any problem with things like shooting, as long as there is a legitimate reason for it other than just sport. Which is the case for most shooting in the UK.
I hunt alone- Rexxar. Hunters are cool, especially in Hearthstone :P

Night Elf Hunters called xxlegolasxx or Dwarf Hunter bots called engsjadsf aren't so cool.

At least they weren't in 2006.
I'm fine with hunting so long as thy don't break the following three rules:

-Don't waste the meat. If you go out just to kill and then leave the carcass to rot you're a jackass, no better than going to the supermarket buying 5 lamb joints and then just binning them, It's a complete waste and disrespectful. If you're going to kill an animal at least make sure it goes to use.

-Know how to hunt properly so you don't cause unnecessary pain. A quick kills is best and is what should always be aimed for. Getting pleasure out of causing something pain or distress is the definition of sadistic, and therefore makes you a jackass.

-Don't negatively and permanently disrupt the ecosystem, and this includes hunting endangered species. This one is pretty self explanatory. And anyone who knows anything about ecology will understand why it's important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol "thrill of the hunt" , hardly a hunt when the poor animals are gunned down.
Wrong humans dont require food to eat, thye do it for the pleasure of eating the animals vs vege food.

The thrill of hunting prey cant be understimated. This is the feeling of being a true animal like our anicent ancestors. kill or be killed.

Dolphins kill for fun. So do other animals. Are they wrong?
Damn Dolphins kill. i never knew:biggrin:
i agree wirh sophiesmall
I don't hate hunters. They're usually friendly and very polite with impeccable manners :daydreaming:
Original post by DiddyDec
The animals I have hunted didn't know they were being hunted until it was too late. I think it would be pretty cruel to bludgeon a deer to death. How long do you think it would take to beat a deer to death?

So you don't really care the animals at all. All you care about is the reason they were killed.
what did you hunt? If you don't mind me asking ofc - genuinely interested :beard:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol "thrill of the hunt" , hardly a hunt when the poor animals are gunned down.

Do you have any idea what that involves?

You have to go out and look for them, and for most types of shooting things like stealth and using cover to your advantage are important. So yes, it is a hunt. Sometimes using a dog to find and flush animals may be an option. There's a lot more to it than most people realise, and it's certainly not easy. It's nowhere near as simple as "gunned down".
Original post by RFowler
Do you have any idea what that involves?

You have to go out and look for them, and for most types of shooting things like stealth and using cover to your advantage are important. So yes, it is a hunt. Sometimes using a dog to find and flush animals may be an option. There's a lot more to it than most people realise, and it's certainly not easy. It's nowhere near as simple as "gunned down".

Finds deer or whatever , shoots it.
Job done
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Finds deer or whatever , shoots it.
Job done

Oh my god. You really think it's that simple.

It is nowhere near as easy or simple as you apparently think it is.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by beeninetytwo
what did you hunt? If you don't mind me asking ofc - genuinely interested :beard:

That is a pretty long list, so I will give you a shortened version.

Rabbits and Rodents
Foxes
Birds of multiple species.
Deer of multiple species.
Antelope of multiple species.
Zebra
Boar

And many more.
I haven't got a problem with it. This is why you shouldn't to. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hunters kill animals for the thrill of the hunt. It doesn't need to happen but does.
We eat animals, for the taste value. It doesn't need to happen but it does.
We could have a vegetarian diet and live normally perfectly fine. But most don't.

So why do so many people hate hunters?

Edit: Animals are not special in the grand scheme of things, you aren't too. Nothing is especially special. So saying to stop extinction is just stupid, it itself is a natural process which could aso be argued. Look at how much is wasted of stupid bamboo eating panda bear. It cost so much to maintain when it would have died out naturally. Could have saved many people.

I'm fine with hunting, but it's not okay when people start killing endangered species, and animals owned by other people, especially those who call themselves "extinctionists"
Original post by IIEquinoxII
I'm fine with hunting, but it's not okay when people start killing endangered species, and animals owned by other people, especially those who call themselves "extinctionists"

Those who call themselves extinctionists are referring to the extinction of the human race.
Original post by DiddyDec
Those who call themselves extinctionists are referring to the extinction of the human race.

I've heard the term used to describe groups who deliberately hunt down the last in a population of very endangered species, it may be used for other stuff but that's where I got the term from
Original post by IIEquinoxII
I've heard the term used to describe groups who deliberately hunt down the last in a population of very endangered species, it may be used for other stuff but that's where I got the term from

It comes from a Christian extremist sect. Extinctionism also known as Annihilationism.

It would be pretty hard to hunt down animals on the brink of extinction. Even the nature documentary cameramen struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest