The Student Room Group

I need to explore my sex life before making any long-term commitments

I am currently on a break from communication with my girlfriend. We have been together for over a year, and this is the first time we haven’t spoken everyday. The break was my idea as I need some time to myself to listen to my gut feelings and make sense of them. I’m still struggling to figure out where to go from here so I'm reaching out for some advice. Please tell me your honest opinion.

Almost since the start, I’ve been struggling with feelings of jealousy about her past sexual experiences. I know it’s not fair, but I'm envious of the freedom she had before we met. I am also jealous that other men had casual sexual encounters with my girlfriend without the strings attached that come with a relationship.

I hate it every time she mentions being sexual with other men in the past. She makes me feel like a cuck and it devalues the sexual experiences that we have together. I'm jealous that I can't do the same to her because I don't have a sexual past of my own.

I've realized that this jealousy stems from a strong desire to explore my sexuality with different people before making long-term commitments. The thought of having only one sexual partner for the rest of my life terrifies me, and I feel like it's essential for me to have those experiences to feel complete.

Early on, I remember her telling me she needed to have a bit of casual fun through hooking up to get it out of her system before settling down into a long term relationship. Since then, I’ve been wondering why I didn’t do the same.

We talked through our options months ago and settled on a foursome with another couple. We haven’t revisited the topic since as I can tell she’d rather not do it. Unless she's completely down with the idea, I don’t see how it would work and I fear that it would only make me feel worse.

I don’t want to break up with her. I love my girlfriend so much but what if we met each other too early? She's ready to settle down while I feel like I’ve barely started. I don’t know where to go from here. I have to listen to my needs otherwise they’ll continue to dwell on me, causing me to resent her but I don’t know how to do this without damaging the relationship.

Please can you tell me your honest opinion on this situation. I know this post probably comes across as selfish but I cant change my needs as much as I'd like to. I can't continue to ignore them. Thank you so much for any help.
Reply 1
If your girlfriend of one year, whom you claim to love, doesn't make your life complete, why do you think casual sexual encounters will?

Would you be wanting to sleep around if your girlfriend was a virgin when you met?
Original post by Surnia
If your girlfriend of one year, whom you claim to love, doesn't make your life complete, why do you think casual sexual encounters will?

Would you be wanting to sleep around if your girlfriend was a virgin when you met?

To have casual sexual encounters is something I have decided I want to try in my life. Its not for everyone but I've realized I want it. I guess I'm not sure why exactly but I think there's so much I can learn from it and the curiosity is killing me. It would also help me not feel like I'm missing out. I feel like I owe this to myself to compensate for the lack of any such experience in my past.

Yes I think I would feel this way regardless of my girlfriends sexual history. I only think her history serves as a way to taunt me that she has what I want while I feel bad for wanting the same thing.
Reply 3
Original post by effectiveStrange
To have casual sexual encounters is something I have decided I want to try in my life. Its not for everyone but I've realized I want it. I guess I'm not sure why exactly but I think there's so much I can learn from it and the curiosity is killing me. It would also help me not feel like I'm missing out.

What do you think you'll learn from functional casual sex with virtual strangers as opposed to having sex in a loving relationship? What are you missing out on, apart from not a lot? Do you really think those path is going to make you happy? What if you do this and hen don't find another partner for the longer term; are you willing to throw away what you have and of which other people would be envious?
Original post by Surnia
What do you think you'll learn from functional casual sex with virtual strangers as opposed to having sex in a loving relationship? What are you missing out on, apart from not a lot? Do you really think those path is going to make you happy? What if you do this and hen don't find another partner for the longer term; are you willing to throw away what you have and of which other people would be envious?

If I have to, then maybe. This is what I'm stuck on right now.
I want you to think of how much casual sex you had before you met your girlfriend. That's how much you'll have now that you're on a break.
Original post by effectiveStrange
I am currently on a break from communication with my girlfriend. We have been together for over a year, and this is the first time we haven’t spoken everyday. The break was my idea as I need some time to myself to listen to my gut feelings and make sense of them. I’m still struggling to figure out where to go from here so I'm reaching out for some advice. Please tell me your honest opinion.

Almost since the start, I’ve been struggling with feelings of jealousy about her past sexual experiences. I know it’s not fair, but I'm envious of the freedom she had before we met. I am also jealous that other men had casual sexual encounters with my girlfriend without the strings attached that come with a relationship.

I hate it every time she mentions being sexual with other men in the past. She makes me feel like a cuck and it devalues the sexual experiences that we have together. I'm jealous that I can't do the same to her because I don't have a sexual past of my own.

I've realized that this jealousy stems from a strong desire to explore my sexuality with different people before making long-term commitments. The thought of having only one sexual partner for the rest of my life terrifies me, and I feel like it's essential for me to have those experiences to feel complete.

Early on, I remember her telling me she needed to have a bit of casual fun through hooking up to get it out of her system before settling down into a long term relationship. Since then, I’ve been wondering why I didn’t do the same.

We talked through our options months ago and settled on a foursome with another couple. We haven’t revisited the topic since as I can tell she’d rather not do it. Unless she's completely down with the idea, I don’t see how it would work and I fear that it would only make me feel worse.

I don’t want to break up with her. I love my girlfriend so much but what if we met each other too early? She's ready to settle down while I feel like I’ve barely started. I don’t know where to go from here. I have to listen to my needs otherwise they’ll continue to dwell on me, causing me to resent her but I don’t know how to do this without damaging the relationship.

Please can you tell me your honest opinion on this situation. I know this post probably comes across as selfish but I cant change my needs as much as I'd like to. I can't continue to ignore them. Thank you so much for any help.

You obviously really want this. I think you’ve already made a decision in your head. You know what you want, you just aren’t completely ready to confirm it. I can’t understand people who need to hook up with multiple people, or “get it out of their system”, it’s not for me and I’ll never understand it. So while I can’t relate, I do feel how conflicted you are through this post.

Just know that once you pick casual hookups over your relationship, you most likely are not going to get your girlfriend back, ever. No self respecting woman will take you back after that, it doesn’t mean she will hate you or be upset with you, she will probably be very understanding but once you end it that’s it. Just as long as you understand that and what you’re getting yourself into by ending the relationship now, you can’t keep her in mind as someone you want to get back with later on.
You say you don't know how to do this without damaging the relationship, but you are already on a break over it, which is like 95% broken up?

To be blunt, get the idea of a couples 4some out of your head, that's for people with considerable sexual maturity and is pretty much the polar opposite of casual sex - the stakes are super high, it just takes one person getting cold feet to make it weird for everyone and you run the risk of it following you through your relationship forever. You talk of how much you hate thinking of her having a sexual history and you feel cucked by ghosts of the past, do you think you're fooling anyone that you'd be ok with your gf getting on with someone else? even if you were doing the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending