The Student Room Group

Do people still read books for fun?

Or has it died out now that we have become more internet/movie orientated? I cant remember the last time I read a story type book, I'd guess around 15 years ago minimum. I only read books that relate to ny studies, and tbh the books are more of a supplement to video learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I still read books for fun, it's a great way to escape reality/responsibilities.
Plus, the book is always better than the film :tongue:
The smart people do.
I try hard to read books but I find it hard to stay engaged, I just don't have the patience. It has to be a really good book to make me keep reading.
But tbh it does seem like people aren't reading a lot these days which is sad. It's also a lot to do with the fact that people simply don't have the time.
Reply 4
Original post by driftawaay
I try hard to read books but I find it hard to stay engaged, I just don't have the patience. It has to be a really good book to make me keep reading.
But tbh it does seem like people aren't reading a lot these days which is sad. It's also a lot to do with the fact that people simply don't have the time.

True , I genuinely don't have time to wash my hands after using the toilet.

True story

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
True , I genuinely don't have time to wash my hands after using the toilet.

Tru motherf*kn story

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so gross
Reply 6
That's so gross

How? I dont wipe my arse with my hands so doesn't come into contact with my sht

Posted from TSR Mobile
Almost every day. I'm still nowhere near the pace I used to read at during primary school, when I borrowed and finished a dozen books from the library every week.
Yes of course! :biggrin: But it's hard with school and stuff so I plan out light reading material on school days and the half terms and holidays for the heavier stuff!

Right now I'm reading 'Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe' :h: it's so sweet, such a happy book!

Actually tbh I plan my weeks around books, I have my christmas book list sorted to :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Almost every day. I'm still nowhere near the pace I used to read at during primary school, when I borrowed a dozen books from the library weekly and finished them within a week.

Hermione Granger..is that you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by william walker
The smart people do.

Yeah. 50 Shades of Grey seems like a very thought-provoking, well-written book which questions the profound question on morality and deals with gender inequality on a fundamental level.

A wonderful read, definitely one which has enhanced my life for the better.
Original post by Souljer
Hermione Granger..is that you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That depends. Are you going to buy me tickets to a Potter convention if I say yes?

So if we take it into context...

Does that mean that a book with long paragraphs and just pages of descriptions of the scenery and back-story before actually getting to action/dialogue would be boring for you?

Would a book that went straight into the action and weaved minimal amounts of backstory, scenary and setting be a more appealing book to you? I mean it will be face-paced cos it'll start off straight into the plot and if there's grudges or events that happened prior to the story, instead or explaining everything in long blocks or text, you would get a few sentences here and there explaining it.
Reply 13
Story book reading is a waste of time you could watch the film version and have it over with in 1-2hrs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still love to read. I can read a book a day, when I am in the mood (depends on the amount of pages, of course. A standard book, yes, a 1000 pages, probably not).

I enjoy reading stories more than watching them. You get to use your own imagination, and movies never quite live up to that.
Original post by Starvation13
So if we take it into context...

Does that mean that a book with long paragraphs and just pages of descriptions of the scenery and back-story before actually getting to action/dialogue would be boring for you?

Would a book that went straight into the action and weaved minimal amounts of backstory, scenary and setting be a more appealing book to you? I mean it will be face-paced cos it'll start off straight into the plot and if there's grudges or events that happened prior to the story, instead or explaining everything in long blocks or text, you would get a few sentences here and there explaining it.

Yes!

I just hate it when there are long descriptions, I don't need to know what the room looks or smells like or how many freckles someone had on their faces. I am a big picture thinker so detailed descriptions give me a headache.
Reply 16
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yes of course! :biggrin: But it's hard with school and stuff so I plan out light reading material on school days and the half terms and holidays for the heavier stuff!

Right now I'm reading 'Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe' :h: it's so sweet, such a happy book!

Actually tbh I plan my weeks around books, I have my christmas book list sorted to :h:

How long would it take you to read around a 1000pg book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyou
Yeah. 50 Shades of Grey seems like a very thought-provoking, well-written book which questions the profound question on morality and deals with gender inequality on a fundamental level.

I don't read, so.....
Original post by Kyou

I read it, just to see what the big deal was...yeah :lolwut: It was an awful read, I think I skipped chapters too. Apparently it has 'fixed marriages' which leaves it up to us to wonder how 'broken' these marriages were in the first place. :redface:
Original post by Souljer
How long would it take you to read around a 1000pg book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1000pages? Da*** are you reading lol? Encyclopaedia Britannica?

---

Although I did finish he Hunger Games Book 2 in less than a day. Started at like 16;30 then kept reading until about 11/12 loool
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest