The Student Room Group

Geography personal statement

Any recommendations for books to read for my personal statement? I'm not a big reader so don't really have any to mention but I feel kind of dumb only talking about documentaries or podcasts. Preferably books that are kind of easy and fun to read because I have a really short attention span
Hi there,

If you're genuinely interested in reading some books on geography it might be worth asking your teacher, or heading to the Earth science/geography area of a bookshop.

To be honest though, if you have already written about podcasts and documentaries that have inspired you, I think that's really positive. It shows that you still spend time learning on your own, and independent study at university is a crucial skill. It might be worth reading up more about the people who are making these podcasts and documentaries and see what has inspired them!. But really, I think it sounds like you have plenty interest in the subject!

I hope that helps :smile:
I agree that you don't want to overcrowd your personal statement with a long list of books and podcasts. Subject admissions are more interested in what inspires you and what you have learned from your extended investigation into the subject. Do you have a broad interest in geography or a preference for physical or human geog?
Original post by rycbar.123
Any recommendations for books to read for my personal statement? I'm not a big reader so don't really have any to mention but I feel kind of dumb only talking about documentaries or podcasts. Preferably books that are kind of easy and fun to read because I have a really short attention span

Hi,
I'm just going into my 3rd year at Lancaster studying Physical Geography. Before coming to university I wasn't a massive reader either, but I did read a few books before coming to University. I would recommend 'Prisoners of Geography' by Tim Marshall or any books by Tim Marshall are usually good, if your more into the human side of geography and geopolitics. I also liked 'There is no planet B' by Mike Berners-Lee, which focuses on the climate crisis. Both these books are good, as the chapters are almost like sperate books so you could just read the sections that really interests you. Also, in your personal statement feel free to talk about other geography experiences you might have had, if you've attended any sample University lectures or maybe talk about a particular subject areas your interested in and how you went on a fieldtrip relating to this during your A levels.
If you've got any more questions about studying geography at university, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending