The Student Room Group

My Fresher's at Northumbria University experience!

Hi, I'm Polly and I'm going to be studying Design for Industry at Northumbria this year! I did Design and Technology, Art, and German A-levels and got A*AA. The course is what I'm most looking forward to this year- fun projects in partnership with real clients, tutors who I've already been stalking via the faculty podcast, and the facilities- laser cutters, 3D printers and fancy Macs galore!

I thought I'd start this blog as blogging is something I've been wanting to try- I was a pen pal for a bit in lockdown and I've had countless other hobbies like sewing, baking, jewellery making which would be cool to blog about! I'm also thinking about how much I wish I'd had something like this last year, when I went on an obsessive YouTube binge of "what I brought to uni" videos. Don't stress yourself out over-researching!

So far I've prepared by making my packing list (huge), going to Ikea (fun), messaging one of my flatmates on Facebook (she seems ok), and enrolling online to do introduction e-learnings (boooooring!). I would recommend doing all the fiddly bits of student finance and uploading photos/documents as soon as possible as it's one less thing when you're super busy preparing for moving in!

It's one week to go and I've waved goodbye to a load of my friends this weekend! I'm a bit worried that I've booked zero freshers events and I really hope I get on with my flat mates. On my to-do list is compiling my fave recipes from home, making fun decorations to hang up in my new room, budgeting, making a playlist for the drive down and looking into signing up with a GP close to my accom.

My main goals for freshers are to meet people who like things I do and get to know those I'm living with. I'm not big on parties so I hope I find things like societies to do or just go to a normal pub.

I'll be updating whenever I remember, good luck to everyone else off to Freshers this year and do get in touch if you have questions about applying or you're looking for friends in Newcastle!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck!!! I'm also arriving at my uni in a week and I'm super excited! I'm intl so I'm only bringing along two luggage and a bag full of stuff to the UK lol.
Original post by PAT_22
Good luck!!! I'm also arriving at my uni in a week and I'm super excited! I'm intl so I'm only bringing along two luggage and a bag full of stuff to the UK lol.

Cool! I'm happy not everyone is already starting this week lol. You will be totally fine packing light for uni, I knew someone last year who only decided what he was taking the day before! My overthinking self could never XD
Original post by CluelessCuteness
Hi, I'm Polly and I'm going to be studying Design for Industry at Northumbria this year! I did Design and Technology, Art, and German A-levels and got A*AA. The course is what I'm most looking forward to this year- fun projects in partnership with real clients, tutors who I've already been stalking via the faculty podcast, and the facilities- laser cutters, 3D printers and fancy Macs galore!

I thought I'd start this blog as blogging is something I've been wanting to try- I was a pen pal for a bit in lockdown and I've had countless other hobbies like sewing, baking, jewellery making which would be cool to blog about! I'm also thinking about how much I wish I'd had something like this last year, when I went on an obsessive YouTube binge of "what I brought to uni" videos. Don't stress yourself out over-researching!

So far I've prepared by making my packing list (huge), going to Ikea (fun), messaging one of my flatmates on Facebook (she seems ok), and enrolling online to do introduction e-learnings (boooooring!). I would recommend doing all the fiddly bits of student finance and uploading photos/documents as soon as possible as it's one less thing when you're super busy preparing for moving in!

It's one week to go and I've waved goodbye to a load of my friends this weekend! I'm a bit worried that I've booked zero freshers events and I really hope I get on with my flat mates. On my to-do list is compiling my fave recipes from home, making fun decorations to hang up in my new room, budgeting, making a playlist for the drive down and looking into signing up with a GP close to my accom.

My main goals for freshers are to meet people who like things I do and get to know those I'm living with. I'm not big on parties so I hope I find things like societies to do or just go to a normal pub.

I'll be updating whenever I remember, good luck to everyone else off to Freshers this year and do get in touch if you have questions about applying or you're looking for friends in Newcastle!

Hey, congrats on your results! I think going on an IKEA trip is possibly one of the best parts of starting uni haha. It sounds like you're really well prepared, when do you move in? And have you had a look at which societies you might like to join?
Original post by Pwca
Hey, congrats on your results! I think going on an IKEA trip is possibly one of the best parts of starting uni haha. It sounds like you're really well prepared, when do you move in? And have you had a look at which societies you might like to join?

I move Sunday! I've looked at societies a bit, they have a craft and chat society that I think sounds fun, and maybe I could get more into table top games as that society seems friendly. I'm really looking forward to sports, I hope they have a casual swimming, cycling or karate society!
Hope your move-in goes well! Don't think I'm going to be able to get to Ikea before move in so I'm definitely jealous. The course you're doing sounds so cool as well, I'm so excited to hear about your experinece!
I move Sunday! I've looked at societies a bit, they have a craft and chat society that I think sounds fun, and maybe I could get more into table top games as that society seems friendly. I'm really looking forward to sports, I hope they have a casual swimming, cycling or karate society!

Craft and chat sounds really nice, something a bit different. It'll be nice to have friends from beyond your course/ accommodation, as well.

Hi Polly,

Congratulations on your result and your place at Northumbria!

You sound very prepared, Ikea is great! Don't worry that you haven't booked any freshers events yet as there is still time and there are plenty of things to do that don't require booking. Here is a guide to freshers week: https://mynsu.co.uk/news/article/freshers which shows some of the things we have going on.
I'm glad you've found some societies you like the sound of and not to worry if you haven't made your mind up yet as we have a fair on the 27th of September that will allow you to meet some members of the societies and see what we have on offer!

We are looking forward to welcoming you onto campus and please do let me know if you have any questions before then :smile:

Beth
Northumbria University UG rep
Hello!

Congratulations on getting your place at Northumbria!

Sounds like you've been preparing a lot to start Uni! When is your official start date?

I wish you luck in your first week at University! I started on Monday and it's been very eventful so far! Not sure what Northumbria is like but there has been a lot of events here during the day, and even the evening events aren't big parties and just more fun such as Quiz Night!
Original post by RileyPhoenix
Hello!

Congratulations on getting your place at Northumbria!

Sounds like you've been preparing a lot to start Uni! When is your official start date?

I wish you luck in your first week at University! I started on Monday and it's been very eventful so far! Not sure what Northumbria is like but there has been a lot of events here during the day, and even the evening events aren't big parties and just more fun such as Quiz Night!

That sounds really fun, good luck to you as well! I'm starting officially on the 25th, not long to wait!
That sounds really fun, good luck to you as well! I'm starting officially on the 25th, not long to wait!

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing how your first day goes! Good luck!!!
Part 2 of Freshers at Northumbria!
Hi, it's been a while! I guess this will have to be a moving in and first day blog post as it's just been so busy! I moved in yesterday and attended induction activities today, it's been super exciting even though I was scared!
I packed my clothes on Friday and decided that packing was going to take longer than I thought. It's quite a task to decide what you'll need and want in your new life, so I ended up taking breaks and setting myself timers to break up everything. I think it worked well because I had everything packed by the end of Saturday. I've only bought 3 things here (batteries, a storage box, a mirror) and I let my parents take some socks and jumpers home as I had too many to fit in the cupboard. I even had time to be presented with my 3rd Kyu brown belt in karate on Saturday, which was super fun and broke up the big task!
My journey down was, ok, it was a bit hard to say goodbye to my brothers! The lift in my flat is broken (typical!) so many trips up the stairs later, I got everything in! My parents took me supermarket shopping and helped clean my room (it was a bit mucky, I would recommend giving drawers and walls a wipe before putting all your stuff down!). I met my 2 flat mates, one is all the way from Canada with plenty of experience living away from home and the other cannot cook at all and is a bit nervous, but they're both really nice and clean up after themselves ok so far!
The first night was a bit weird, I was enjoying being alone until I had to sleep and got nervous! I just turned my lights down and read a book until I felt calmer and it was all ok.

Induction day was a bit noisier and busier than I expected! I got a little lost on the way to my first session and wished I'd set out earlier, but then I arrived at the same time as another girl on my course! She sat with me and was pretty nice, she is a bit more outgoing than me so she dragged me round the packed freshers freebie fair. I got a lot of special offers, free samples and food, and I bought a pass for art galleries at a very cheap price! Lots of information too. I also met more course mates and study building buddies at the next sessions, I went shopping, picked up my student ID and then went for fast food for tea with some of them! They are still messaging on Snapchat and Insta so I will definitely see them again!
I checked my mailbox, paid my rent, called my mum and registered to vote this evening. There sure are a lot of jobs to do! Tomorrow I have a session to meet my tutors and another fair. But I'm pretty proud of myself for getting out there today, walking home from the city centre in the sunset, getting lost and found, finding someone else to discuss art projects at length with! Lots of memories already, but I am so tired out, I walked about 16,000 steps today as well as everything else! Hope everyone else's freshers is going well, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!
Sounds like a very busy first day, don't worry too much about being exactly on time to lectures, I found that the professors don't really mind if you're unintentionally late, especially on your first day, you need to figure out where all your classes are located!

I'm glad that you were able to make some friends, you should be very proud of putting yourself out there and being able to make some friends on your first day.

I hope the rest of your week goes well, I look forward to reading about it :smile:
Original post by RileyPhoenix
Sounds like a very busy first day, don't worry too much about being exactly on time to lectures, I found that the professors don't really mind if you're unintentionally late, especially on your first day, you need to figure out where all your classes are located!

I'm glad that you were able to make some friends, you should be very proud of putting yourself out there and being able to make some friends on your first day.

I hope the rest of your week goes well, I look forward to reading about it :smile:

TYSM!!!
Day 2 of Freshers- Budgeting, Freebies and Tutors
Today I started off by trying to plan my budget. I know I have enough to live on now, especially if I cook for myself and go to free activities like art galleries and those included in my gym membership. I spread the money over 1 more week than I'll need it for to let me have a bit of wiggle room, especially as freshers is supposed to be one of the most expensive times of the year. I also didn't include my savings or summer job money, so that can cover any extras or unexpected expenses. I hope this is a good start to not overspending in my first few weeks!
I went early to the second freebie fair to beat the queues and got what I wanted, the offers I got should help me to eat out, travel and party for less which would be great! I also used my new smartcard to go check out the library. It helped me chill out between the busy fair and my subject activities for the day, it's super nice!
In a "meet the tutors" session, I got an overview of the course and all the exciting modules I will be doing! I sat in the front row and probably looked a bit giddy with excitement, but I think there's nothing wrong with expressing enthusiasm about the things I've chosen to study! There were 7 girls there of about 20 people, 6 of us went for coffee in the business building after and I enjoyed chatting about our A-level projects.
This afternoon, I enjoyed a bit of time to chill by myself. I called some family, messaged to meet new friends for the sport and societies fair tomorrow, and decorated my bedroom. I love it so much more now that it looks like mine!
Thanks for reading, I'll be updating again soon!
Today I started off by trying to plan my budget. I know I have enough to live on now, especially if I cook for myself and go to free activities like art galleries and those included in my gym membership. I spread the money over 1 more week than I'll need it for to let me have a bit of wiggle room, especially as freshers is supposed to be one of the most expensive times of the year. I also didn't include my savings or summer job money, so that can cover any extras or unexpected expenses. I hope this is a good start to not overspending in my first few weeks!
I went early to the second freebie fair to beat the queues and got what I wanted, the offers I got should help me to eat out, travel and party for less which would be great! I also used my new smartcard to go check out the library. It helped me chill out between the busy fair and my subject activities for the day, it's super nice!
In a "meet the tutors" session, I got an overview of the course and all the exciting modules I will be doing! I sat in the front row and probably looked a bit giddy with excitement, but I think there's nothing wrong with expressing enthusiasm about the things I've chosen to study! There were 7 girls there of about 20 people, 6 of us went for coffee in the business building after and I enjoyed chatting about our A-level projects.
This afternoon, I enjoyed a bit of time to chill by myself. I called some family, messaged to meet new friends for the sport and societies fair tomorrow, and decorated my bedroom. I love it so much more now that it looks like mine!

Hey! very sensible idea setting out a budgeting plan, have you signed up to any student discount schemes to help? there are lots around!

sounds like you're having a great time and meeting lots of new people, glad it's going well for you :biggrin:

Hi Polly,

I have loved reading your updates and we are so glad you are enjoying your time at Northumbria so far and settling in well, it sounds like you've got loads done in your first few days!

Beth

Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hi Polly,

I have loved reading your updates and we are so glad you are enjoying your time at Northumbria so far and settling in well, it sounds like you've got loads done in your first few days!

Beth

Thank you! It's been fun so far!!
Day 3&4 of Freshers- First night out and trip to the gym
I'm back again posting too late, so I'll have to make things brief! Yesterday I went to the societies and volunteering fair, as well as the sports fair! It sounds like there are so many exciting things to do. I'm tempted to try something new with kayaking and magazine societies, or continue things I enjoyed at home with karate and tabletop games/board games societies! They would be great for meeting like minded people, I want to meet as many people as possible to explore the possibilities for new friendship.
Later I decided to head out with a few of the people on design and fashion courses! We had a drink in Habita (part of the student union) which was quite nice, then spent a bit long wandering around looking for somewhere fun to go. It was a bit strange as some places were quiet because it was a Wednesday and others were full of football crowd. I'd just about given up when we sound somewhere fun to dance at last! I even met more Northumbria students who seemed fun. I think it was a good first experience!

Today I got up late and felt a bit homesick. I don't want to be a downer but it seems wrong to pretend it's been super easy to do everything so far! Sometimes I'm craving the familiarity of home but when I get back to my flat, it's too quiet and has people I haven't got to know much yet around. I think everyone must feel the same sometimes, I've pinned up more photos of my family and booked a train ticket home in 3 weeks to cheer up and remember I haven't left them forever. Later on today, I went to swim at the university sports building. It was strange to just walk in, but once I was in the water, some exercise made me feel calmer. I guess you're just getting the real experience today, not so exciting but I'm looking forward to seeing my coursemates again at 9 tomorrow!
Hope everyone else's week is good so far, Freshers is almost coming to an end! I'm not sure if I've figured out what I'm doing yet, but I'll try and get the most out of every day regardless!
Day 5- exploring and meeting neighbours
After my uni activities today, which was an interactive session on having a good atmosphere to help our learning, I just started walking. I had been wanting to explore the area a bit more, so I followed some signs to Jesmond Dene, which is supposed to be the most popular park in Newcastle, and I was pleasantly surprised! They have a kid's area with a playground, goats, rabbits and birds, which I think I enjoyed as much as the toddlers who were visiting! There are also ruined buildings and an artificial waterfall, plus lots of pretty places to take photos and picnic. I found a flower on the path to go in my flower press, and generally enjoyed wandering wherever I wanted and chatting to dog walkers. Maybe not the most usual thing to do at Freshers but I can definitely recommend taking a break in nature if city life is getting a bit much for you! This afternoon, I started writing a letter to a friend and called my parents, as well as messaging a few of my other friends from home. I'd like to get in good habits so we can still feel connected in term time and keep in touch. This evening I went to a neighbour's birthday party with my house mates and talked to lots of random people in their flat as other flat mates were getting ready to go out or having people round. They were all a bit crazy, at one point three guys took a bite out of a candle, I was glad my flat mate was equally weirded out when we went back to ours! They might be quite fun for a night out, but we were worried such a big group might get split up and not remember to look out for each other. Maybe when we know them a bit better!
A 4th flat mate is moving in tomorrow, we don't know much about them yet, but I hope they're not quite as bonkers as the neighbours! I guess it's technically the end of freshers now, but I've started a diary comic for the week, so I might add some bonus things to the blog tomorrow! Well done on surviving your first week everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending