The Student Room Group

Graphics or Food Tech

I was wondering which would be better to have as a gcse option, graphics or food tech. I already chose food tech but i found it so boring and the teacher wasn't helping either. We still can change our options so i thought i might do graphics instead but i don't know if it would be more interesting and fun and also what you actually do in the subject. Is graphics harder than food tech? Any advice??
What sort of career are you looking to go into?My sister studies both, but would definitely recommend Food tech over Graphics even though there is more coursework involved.For graphics you really have to be a passionate student and naturally creative,however it is not hard to pass the subject with a decent grade. whereas, for Food you have to know what to include and is heavily coursework orientated( 60% with 25 pages submitted)but she finds it more interesting in terms of nutrition and food science.
Original post by Sweetheartz3
I was wondering which would be better to have as a gcse option, graphics or food tech. I already chose food tech but i found it so boring and the teacher wasn't helping either. We still can change our options so i thought i might do graphics instead but i don't know if it would be more interesting and fun and also what you actually do in the subject. Is graphics harder than food tech? Any advice??

Food tech is very time consuming, honestly. Although I would definitely not trade it for graphic.
Original post by sarahmayy98
What sort of career are you looking to go into?My sister studies both, but would definitely recommend Food tech over Graphics even though there is more coursework involved.For graphics you really have to be a passionate student and naturally creative,however it is not hard to pass the subject with a decent grade. whereas, for Food you have to know what to include and is heavily coursework orientated( 60% with 25 pages submitted)but she finds it more interesting in terms of nutrition and food science.

Thanks for the advice :smile:. I was actually hoping to go into medicine. Food tech was something I chose simply as a fun subject ,but when i actually started the gcse course I found it quite boring and was hoping maybe graphics would be more interesting and fun.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Food tech is very time consuming, honestly. Although I would definitely not trade it for graphic.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Why would you not recommend food tech not graphics?
(edited 8 years ago)

I did graphics for GCSE and I think it was quite time consuming, but I loved it! :^_^: I guess if you're creative then you'll like both, but I think there would be less pressure in graphics (just guessing!) as you can amend things easier :biggrin: I chose to design a board game and doing the project was just amazing!

Is your exam board AQA for graphics?
Thanks for the advice :smile:
Why would you not recommend food tech or graphics?

Obviously I would recommend it over graphics, as I had both options but I went with food tech. But if I'm honest I wouldn't replace my options with anything, food tech can just be really stressful as there is a lot of coursework and it takes a lot of time. But I suppose everything does. GCSE food tech is nothing like year 7-9. It is a lot more complex in terms of theory and coursework theory. I was careful to say I wouldn't recommend it because I would, but if you're not willing to spend loads of homework time just do like a language or religious studies :tongue:. It's actually quite hard to get ahigh grade in food tech as the grade boundaries are so high, work needs to be near perfect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kamara7
I did graphics for GCSE and I think it was quite time consuming, but I loved it! :^_^: I guess if you're creative then you'll like both, but I think there would be less pressure in graphics (just guessing!) as you can amend things easier :biggrin: I chose to design a board game and doing the project was just amazing!

Is your exam board AQA for graphics?

Thank you for the help :smile: . I'm actually not quite sure which exam board we have. What else did you do in Graphics?
Thank you for the help :smile: . I'm actually not quite sure which exam board we have. What else did you do in Graphics?

Well, there were different projects you could choose from, like creating a model building, a prototype race-and-chase board game (my one :biggrin:), a pop-up book or pop-up greeting cards, a hamster house, a CD case and cover for an artist/band and many more! Basically, we had to first make design criteria according to the info the exam board gave us on the project we chose then do research into it (like making a moodboard of different types of buildings or analysing the cost, material use, aesthetics, etc. of different board games). We then did the initial design ideas, final idea, an orthographic, isometric and CAD drawing of the final idea and then the prototype of the product using mainly paper, taking pictures of it, annotating good points and improvements. Then we had to make the actual project. The paperwork was the same for any project. It was such a relief when I finished board game :smile: This coursework was 60% of the GCSE (for AQA anyway)

The exam was alright, I never used to finish it though! The first section was sketching and drawing some graphic product they ask for in the blurb (you get the theme of the product sent to the school to tell you some time before the exam). I used to spend ages on sketching so I never got to the later questions on this section! The other section is the theory, which is just learning from the textbook about things like orthographic drawing, key designers, materials and their uses, parts of letters (my favourite, I'm so pedantic about fonts now!).

Every part of graphics was effort, but it was so good! :woo:
Original post by Kamara7
Well, there were different projects you could choose from, like creating a model building, a prototype race-and-chase board game (my one :biggrin:), a pop-up book or pop-up greeting cards, a hamster house, a CD case and cover for an artist/band and many more! Basically, we had to first make design criteria according to the info the exam board gave us on the project we chose then do research into it (like making a moodboard of different types of buildings or analysing the cost, material use, aesthetics, etc. of different board games). We then did the initial design ideas, final idea, an orthographic, isometric and CAD drawing of the final idea and then the prototype of the product using mainly paper, taking pictures of it, annotating good points and improvements. Then we had to make the actual project. The paperwork was the same for any project. It was such a relief when I finished board game :smile: This coursework was 60% of the GCSE (for AQA anyway)

The exam was alright, I never used to finish it though! The first section was sketching and drawing some graphic product they ask for in the blurb (you get the theme of the product sent to the school to tell you some time before the exam). I used to spend ages on sketching so I never got to the later questions on this section! The other section is the theory, which is just learning from the textbook about things like orthographic drawing, key designers, materials and their uses, parts of letters (my favourite, I'm so pedantic about fonts now!).

Every part of graphics was effort, but it was so good! :woo:

Wow thanks, it sound interesting. In my school I asked my Graphics teacher about our exam and she told me that now there will be no exam and our GCSE grade would be based on a product we design and build in class. :biggrin:

I'm kinda leaning towards changing graphics to food now because graphics just sounds way more fun. I thought food tech would be fun when I chose it but we just sit around for most of our lessons and learn about stuff like nutrients and then we will cook for like one lesson. IT'S SO BORING!

I know it's time consuming but is it hard??
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow thanks, it sound interesting. In my school I asked my Graphics teacher about our exam and she told me that now there will be no exam and our GCSE grade would be based on a product we design and build in class. :biggrin:

I'm kinda leaning towards changing graphics to food now because graphics just sounds way more fun. I thought food tech would be fun when I chose it but we just sit around for most of our lessons and learn about stuff like nutrients and then we will cook for like one lesson. IT'S SO BORING!

I know it's time consuming but is it hard??

Oh that's good! Less pressure during exam season :smile:

Yeah, it helps when you have a good teacher as well! I don't know how your teacher will structure your lessons, but we chatted about the bit of the paperwork we had to do, then we went to do it. If their anything like my old teacher, he'll spend 50 minutes talking about graphic products, then spend the rest of the time saying why we haven't done the work yet!

To be honest, it wasn't "hard", it was more about keeping to deadlines and being creative enough to have a good product! You'll learn everything you need to include in your portfolio really easily, there aren't hard concepts, you just have to learn how to do things like different types of drawings or using computer-aided design :biggrin:
Original post by Kamara7
Oh that's good! Less pressure during exam season :smile:

Yeah, it helps when you have a good teacher as well! I don't know how your teacher will structure your lessons, but we chatted about the bit of the paperwork we had to do, then we went to do it. If their anything like my old teacher, he'll spend 50 minutes talking about graphic products, then spend the rest of the time saying why we haven't done the work yet!

To be honest, it wasn't "hard", it was more about keeping to deadlines and being creative enough to have a good product! You'll learn everything you need to include in your portfolio really easily, there aren't hard concepts, you just have to learn how to do things like different types of drawings or using computer-aided design :biggrin:

Ok, thanks. :smile:
???

Gonna tell you the honest truth here.

I chose Graphics for GCSE. It was my favourite subject by a mile. Yes the coursework is time consuming but I enjoyed doing it so I didn't mind. The teacher was awesome, my class was awesome, I was doing really well and I thought this was my best subject and I'd most likely get an A*.

As it turns out our teacher messed up somehow and although predicting half of us A*s for coursework, our actually marks were disappointing. 2 people got a B, a few got C's (including me) and the rest got lower. I felt betrayed by him, after I'd spent a month doing nothing because he said I'd done everything I could for it. Then we spent about two weeks on exam theory and we all did similarly due to god knows what.
Our teacher was to blame for his mistake. He still didn't apologise after. Graphics is no longer taught at our school for GCSE...

Do I regret taking Graphics as a subject? No
I loved every minute of every lesson and I'd highly recommend it if you enjoy design.

I don't want to put you off, rather the opposite. It's a fab subject, we just got unlucky.

P.s. Just thought I'd point out that in previous years at least half the class would get at least an A and people even got full UMS on it.
Original post by aadil10
Gonna tell you the honest truth here.

I chose Graphics for GCSE. It was my favourite subject by a mile. Yes the coursework is time consuming but I enjoyed doing it so I didn't mind. The teacher was awesome, my class was awesome, I was doing really well and I thought this was my best subject and I'd most likely get an A*.

As it turns out our teacher messed up somehow and although predicting half of us A*s for coursework, our actually marks were disappointing. 2 people got a B, a few got C's (including me) and the rest got lower. I felt betrayed by him, after I'd spent a month doing nothing because he said I'd done everything I could for it. Then we spent about two weeks on exam theory and we all did similarly due to god knows what.
Our teacher was to blame for his mistake. He still didn't apologise after. Graphics is no longer taught at our school for GCSE...

Do I regret taking Graphics as a subject? No
I loved every minute of every lesson and I'd highly recommend it if you enjoy design.

I don't want to put you off, rather the opposite. It's a fab subject, we just got unlucky.

P.s. Just thought I'd point out that in previous years at least half the class would get at least an A and people even got full UMS on it.

Okay, thanks alot. I need to tell me teacher tomorrow and today's the only day I have got left to decide.

Quick Reply

Latest