The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Great win considering the circumstances!

We gained points on Chelsea, Spurs, United, Soton, Everton, Arsenal and Leicester.

Amazing weekend.
Need to sort our **** out at home.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Need to sort our **** out at home.

I think until Xmas it's all about the results. It's harsh to expect Klopp to do much more when he hasn't been able to buy anybody.

That being said, the transformation in our side is ridiculous when you consider no squad changes have been made.
With respect to Rodgers, it really shows the difference a top manager can make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
An important win for a number of reasons

- first league win at Anfield for Klopp
- Henderson and Sturridge coming back from injury
- first win after playing a Europa League game midweek
- 3 wins on the bounce, following up each important win with another
- another clean sheet

We've climbed up to 6th now too (only Man City, Liverpool and Crystal Palace got 3 points this weekend in the top 10). Now only 4 points off 4th and 6 points off 1st.

Some people may dispute the penalty and maybe we wouldn't get that call away from home but the defender had his arms away from his body. We should've scored in the first 25 minutes. We're still not going in top gear but we got the result with a decent performance.

Games coming thick and fast with the League Cup QF away against Southampton on Wednesday. Would be nice to get through since Man City are the only other tough (top4) side in the competition and we've shown we can beat them.
Where do you think we will finish before xmas?

I hope top 5
Nice 1-0 win here, especially after teams above us dropped points. Clean sheet, 1st win under Klopp at Anfield in PL, Sturridge [for now] and Henderson back. Not our best performance but I'll take it. Also back-to-back PL wins for the 1st time since August.

Klopp also said Coutinho could be back v Southampton and he didn't want to risk him today.
That was refreshing, wasn't it?

How many times over the last season have we taken a lead and squandered it at Anfield? You could feel the anxiety around the ground at around the 70/75th minute mark. It was palpable. But, we got through it. And we're six off the top, having travelled to Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton.

Klopp seems to have got us in a habit of winning. Rodgers failed to last season, and Klopp spoke early on in his tenure about how important it was to create a culture of winning. He is putting those words into action now, managing to scrape these wins when the conditions are biblical (roads around Anfield have been closed due to the wind) and Swansea are here for the draw.

By the same token, Swansea are in a habit of losing and a real rut. They were unfortunate with the penalty, because I thought the Kop won it as much as Liverpool's players did. They asked and they received. But Milner duly dispatched, and he was great today along with Lovren (who kept things ticking over comfortably with no frills) and Ibe (who seems to be Klopp's little pet project, and one of our most exciting players right now).

Benteke and Firmino both struggled, in all honesty, but it was great to see Henderson's return and reception. Milner gave him the armband straight away - a sign of the respect he possesses still - and deploying him in an advanced role briefly was a stroke of genius from Klopp. We can definitely look to do that more, I think.

That's Klopp's first home victory. Just superb. Can was probably our man of the match, I thought. I just love watching him play the way he does: barging people out of the way, rampaging forward, physical and demanding. A good workout for all the team, and the most pleasing thing for me was our strength in depth and options on the bench.

How often have we been able to call on Henderson from the bench? We had a quality bench today, and that hints that Klopp has an abundance of options when everybody is fit. Lucas is on form, but so is Milner - who has finally grown out of his early-season subdued self - and a returning Henderson. Can is Can, and will be raw and sporadic but genius in places (the City backheel) and we've got a tidy player in Allen. Up top, you've got Sturridge returning and Benteke - who can create moments of brilliance like the goal in midweek, and Old Trafford volley. But, do we even have to play either of them? Firmino has been exceptional, bar the last two performances, and suits the false nine role behind Coutinho, who he loves to play with clearly.

What a headache for Klopp. I don't envy him.
The Premier League says its clubs' payments to agents from 1 October 2014 to 30 September 2015 have risen from £115m for the same period last year to £129.86m this year.

Liverpool spent most on agents fees, amounting to £14.3m, with Manchester United second on £13.8m, Manchester City third on £12.4m and Chelsea fourth on £11.9m.
Firmino's deal tops the agent fees, according to the Echo. We've bought in a plethora of players, and I imagine contract extensions has been contributing a fair amount to that figure.

That said, I'd rather we were spending millions and millions on the Academy, stadium expansions, the first-team and the like, rather than dickheads like Aidy Ward.
Original post by Mackay
Firmino's deal tops the agent fees, according to the Echo. We've bought in a plethora of players, and I imagine contract extensions has been contributing a fair amount to that figure.

That said, I'd rather we were spending millions and millions on the Academy, stadium expansions, the first-team and the like, rather than dickheads like Aidy Ward.

We regularly seem to be near the top of the agent fees list? Although I guess we have had a lot of turnover of players.

Team for Wednesday? I think Klopp will take it quite seriously.. Only 4 games to get our hands on a trophy early in the season and we could get a decent draw for the SF.
Original post by Zerforax
We regularly seem to be near the top of the agent fees list? Although I guess we have had a lot of turnover of players.

Team for Wednesday? I think Klopp will take it quite seriously.. Only 4 games to get our hands on a trophy early in the season and we could get a decent draw for the SF.

I'm happy for him to take it seriously, to be honest. It's a great chance for him to set a marker, and get closer to some silverware. I honestly don't think he'll ever prioritise one competition over another overtly, so I imagine Benteke will play as the striker with Firmino dropping to the bench after playing so much football recently.
Original post by Mackay
I'm happy for him to take it seriously, to be honest. It's a great chance for him to set a marker, and get closer to some silverware. I honestly don't think he'll ever prioritise one competition over another overtly, so I imagine Benteke will play as the striker with Firmino dropping to the bench after playing so much football recently.

Coutinho should be back I think. Lucas will come back into the midfield. Perhaps we rest Can? Or we go with Milner as part of the front 3 instead of Ibe.

Least we can potentially give Sturridge and Henderson another 20-30 minutes?
Big news coming out of Manchester City this morning with the club revealing a $400m investment from China.

I am told this should not be regarded as the start of an exit strategy from the current owners and that Sheik Mansour remains 100% committed to the club.

Cos they don't have enough money..
Coutinho should be back I think. Lucas will come back into the midfield. Perhaps we rest Can? Or we go with Milner as part of the front 3 instead of Ibe.

Least we can potentially give Sturridge and Henderson another 20-30 minutes?

Can really impressed me at the weekend, but there may be an argument which states he shouldn't be starting so many games in a short amount of time given his rawness. I actually prefer watching him away from Anfield, so wouldn't be adverse to him starting.

Bogdan has been doing press, including an interview with SSN, so it seems as if he's in line to start.
Original post by Mackay
Can really impressed me at the weekend, but there may be an argument which states he shouldn't be starting so many games in a short amount of time given his rawness. I actually prefer watching him away from Anfield, so wouldn't be adverse to him starting.

Bogdan has been doing press, including an interview with SSN, so it seems as if he's in line to start.

Not a terrible idea to let him start against Southampton and Sion to see if he can claim the GK spot ahead of Mignolet.

Agree that Can looks better when he has space to drive into. Southampton failed to qualify into EL from the qualifying rounds so can't imagine they will rest anyone.
Not a terrible idea to let him start against Southampton and Sion to see if he can claim the GK spot ahead of Mignolet.

Agree that Can looks better when he has space to drive into. Southampton failed to qualify into EL from the qualifying rounds so can't imagine they will rest anyone.

Tournament is both Southampton and Everton's best chance of silverware. I actually fancy the latter to lift the whole thing, providing they treat Middlesbrough with respect and get past them by deploying a strong side.

It's a shock that this is their first time past the 4th round since 2007.
Original post by Mackay
Tournament is both Southampton and Everton's best chance of silverware. I actually fancy the latter to lift the whole thing, providing they treat Middlesbrough with respect and get past them by deploying a strong side.

It's a shock that this is their first time past the 4th round since 2007.

I think everyone will take it seriously since there's a good chance of winning and a decent chance of getting an easy draw in the semi-finals.

Imagine if you're Everton and Liverpool/City get drawn together in the SF?
I think everyone will take it seriously since there's a good chance of winning and a decent chance of getting an easy draw in the semi-finals.

Imagine if you're Everton and Liverpool/City get drawn together in the SF?

I'd quite fancy Everton in the semi-finals, just to see how Klopp handles a couple of derbies.

I expect the final four will be Everton, Stoke, Liverpool and City. None of those are bankers, though.
Original post by Mackay
I'd quite fancy Everton in the semi-finals, just to see how Klopp handles a couple of derbies.

I expect the final four will be Everton, Stoke, Liverpool and City. None of those are bankers, though.

Stoke in SF and then thrash Everton in the final? :awesome:

Agreed but there's always an upset these days. Boro are 2nd in the championship and Sheff Wed are 8th. Even Hull are 4th.
Stoke in SF and then thrash Everton in the final? :awesome:

Agreed but there's always an upset these days. Boro are 2nd in the championship and Sheff Wed are 8th. Even Hull are 4th.

I can't imagine Hull going to the Etihad and doing City over, though. That's the difference. Sheffield Wednesday have proven how they rise to the occasion, and I think Boro are best equipped for an upset.

A Boro win at the Riverside tonight would fit in the narrative of their season. Karanka is doing something special with them (they should have secured promotion last season, in my opinion) and the steelworkers' struggles mean home-grown lads like Downing are intent on bringing back some pride to the area through their football.

Latest