The Student Room Group

home schooling while doing a levels

should i get home schooled while doing a levels. the a levels I want to do are classics, latin, classical greek. I wanted to go to a college or sixth form but I cant find anywhere in Birmingham that does all of my a levels. is it possible to teach yourself a levels.
Reply 1
What do you plan on doing with those a levels after you finish them? If you want to go to University I expect you would need A level english for most courses. The reason a lot of colleges won't offer all of these a levels is because they unfortunately probably don't see it as being wise to do that particular mix of A levels. Couldn't you just do classics (which incorporates greek and latin anyway), then do some other Alevels such as english? It might stand you in better stead for the future :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hollyt93
What do you plan on doing with those a levels after you finish them? If you want to go to University I expect you would need A level english for most courses. The reason a lot of colleges won't offer all of these a levels is because they unfortunately probably don't see it as being wise to do that particular mix of A levels. Couldn't you just do classics (which incorporates greek and latin anyway), then do some other Alevels such as english? It might stand you in better stead for the future :smile:

in classics do they teach latin and classical greek. also if I do English should I do language or lit. and I need one more a level. what would you recommend?
Original post by robinfr
should i get home schooled while doing a levels. the a levels I want to do are classics, latin, classical greek. I wanted to go to a college or sixth form but I cant find anywhere in Birmingham that does all of my a levels. is it possible to teach yourself a levels.

Do you know what you want to do at uni? It seems like you're a level choices are all very similar, perhaps incorporate something different into it? You could go to a college and then self teach one of your desired a levels
Reply 4
Original post by robinfr
in classics do they teach latin and classical greek. also if I do English should I do language or lit. and I need one more a level. what would you recommend?

I know that when you study 'classics' at university that covers latin and classical greek, but I'm not exactly sure of the format for the classics A level, so you should maybe ask your teacher what's involved :smile:

English is meant to be a really good A level to complement Classics. I went to a scottish school but my friend at school did classics, english and history together and absolutely loved the combination. I guess you could do classics, with latin OR greek as another A level, but I would definitely recommend doing A level english along with it because you don't want too many 'classical' subjects, you don't want to just be learning the same thing in every class :smile:
Reply 5
I know that when you study 'classics' at university that covers latin and classical greek, but I'm not exactly sure of the format for the classics A level, so you should maybe ask your teacher what's involved :smile:

English is meant to be a really good A level to complement Classics. I went to a scottish school but my friend at school did classics, english and history together and absolutely loved the combination. I guess you could do classics, with latin OR greek as another A level, but I would definitely recommend doing A level english along with it because you don't want too many 'classical' subjects, you don't want to just be learning the same thing in every class :smile:

What do you think of history of art?
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
Do you know what you want to do at uni? It seems like you're a level choices are all very similar, perhaps incorporate something different into it? You could go to a college and then self teach one of your desired a levels

the college that I found only does classics and doesn't do latin or greek so I was thinking of self teaching two or something or staying at home and teaching myself all three. so do you think its possible to teach yourself a levels or is it too hard. could you recommend one a level to go along with classics (don't mention English lit im already thinking of doing that or history I failed that)
Reply 7
Original post by robinfr
the college that I found only does classics and doesn't do latin or greek so I was thinking of self teaching two or something or staying at home and teaching myself all three. so do you think its possible to teach yourself a levels or is it too hard. could you recommend one a level to go along with classics (don't mention English lit im already thinking of doing that or history I failed that)

History of art does sound like it would go quite well with classics.

The main thing is do you know what you want to do after school/college? If you are looking at going to university then your best option is to look on university websites and see what subjects the universities recommend that you take.

I just checked a couple online there and many universities don't actually specify specific a level subjects.
To study classics at newcastle you need: AAB-ABB excluding General Studies
Oxford ask for AAA (one of these must include latin or classic greek)

So I would say go with classics, latin/classic greek then maybe history of art? It will give you a more rounded choice of subjects

Also as for teaching yourself it really depends on your own ability, as I've showed you you need As to get into most universities which can be difficult without the help of a teacher. Personally I'm the kind of person who can teach myself at home, I learn best from books and rarely asked teachers for help at school, however you just have to think about how you learn as an individual. It may be helpful to google home schooling yourself for A levels and see if there are any resources available online to help you.
Reply 8
History of art does sound like it would go quite well with classics.

The main thing is do you know what you want to do after school/college? If you are looking at going to university then your best option is to look on university websites and see what subjects the universities recommend that you take.

I just checked a couple online there and many universities don't actually specify specific a level subjects.
To study classics at newcastle you need: AAB-ABB excluding General Studies
Oxford ask for AAA (one of these must include latin or classic greek)

So I would say go with classics, latin/classic greek then maybe history of art? It will give you a more rounded choice of subjects

Also as for teaching yourself it really depends on your own ability, as I've showed you you need As to get into most universities which can be difficult without the help of a teacher. Personally I'm the kind of person who can teach myself at home, I learn best from books and rarely asked teachers for help at school, however you just have to think about how you learn as an individual. It may be helpful to google home schooling yourself for A levels and see if there are any resources available online to help you.

thanks that really helped alot

Quick Reply

Latest