The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordan\
No what I'm asking is where did all the numbers come from? The 2, the 7 the 5 etc.
Has he just made them up?

Trinity 2, Q3
Show that if four distinct points of the curve y=2x4+7x3+3x􀀀5y = 2x^4 + 7x^3 + 3x - 􀀀5 are co-linear then their average xx-coordinate is some constant kk. Find kk.

The polynomial is given.
Original post by physicsmaths
Vietas formulas, it is a common result.
Or (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) where abcd are the roots. Expand that and eqaute coefficients.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vietas formulas, it is a common result.
Or (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) where abcd are the roots. Expand that and eqaute coefficients.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that is genius! How did you know about this?

Original post by Jordan\
How did he come up with the polynomial?

This video will help understand the whole average bit and Vieta's Formula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWyvWq9CCs
Original post by Zacken
The polynomial is given.

Ah from what I remembered of the question is just said something about collinear points or some **** lol
Original post by Zacken
The polynomial is given.

Jordans losing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jordans losing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interview is creeping closer, we're all losing it. :wink:
Original post by AmarPatel98
Wow that is genius! How did you know about this?

This video will help understand the whole average bit and Vieta's Formula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eWyvWq9CCs

Just somwthing i have had come up quite alot. It comes handy when solving some hard equations,STEP I Q2 2015 it was very handy. It comes in ocr i think. Nothing genius just equating coefficients.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Interview is creeping closer, we're all losing it. :wink:

Lol my interviews far far away! When is yours? How long you in england before. Come london ill show u a good time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol my interviews far far away! When is yours? How long you in england before. Come london ill show u a good time

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interview's on the 11th - I've only just got back from a holiday, so prep starts now. I'll be in England one day before the interview and 4 days after. I'll be in London for one day! :biggrin:
Interview on Tuesday at Emmanuel College ... pls pls pls pls ask me a question i've already come across
Come on guys, one last push, let's try and finish the four main practice tests before we head down :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Come on guys, one last push, let's try and finish the four main practice tests before we head down :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ahve done Q4 of Spec 3 and Q3 of Spec 4. Although I think alot of the front page is not updated since I have seen solutions to many of them before a few pages back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan

Paper 3 Question 2:

Spoiler

Would you mind explaining what the fourth line means where you write θπ2θ\theta \mapsto \dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta?
Original post by MadChickenMan
Specimen Test 3, Question 4:

Hint:

Spoiler

Solution:

Spoiler

i don't agree with part 1, surely it is P(heads/ 3 heads) which is an 1/8?
then again if he is right can someone explain since i am **** at probability.
got it now my division of numbers was wrong
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JakeThomasLee
Would you mind explaining what the fourth line means where you write θπ2θ\theta \mapsto \dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta?

He's effectively making the substitution u= pi/2 -theta, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is just u=pi/2-theta since u and theta are dummies it is just a transformation of the function. which is how joostan has displayed it.
Original post by Krollo
He's effectively making the substitution u= pi/2 -theta, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is just u=pi/2-theta since u and theta are dummies it is just a transformation of the function. which is how joostan has displayed it.

Ah I see, thank you!
Ah I see, thank you!

There are other ways to do it without that swell of course if you aren't used to that sub.
Original post by Jordan\
There are other ways to do it without that swell of course if you aren't used to that sub.

I currently have this integral, not too sure how I'm going to evaluate it, although it may just be completely obvious and I can't see it :colonhash:

Unparseable latex formula:

\RIghtarrow I=\displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi }{2}} \dfrac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta )+\cos(\theta)} \ d\theta[br]

I currently have this integral, not too sure how I'm going to evaluate it, although it may just be completely obvious and I can't see it :colonhash:

Unparseable latex formula:

\RIghtarrow I=\displaystyle\int_0^{\frac{\pi }{2}} \dfrac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta )+\cos(\theta)} \ d\theta[br]

Perhaps try and multiple both top and bottom by sin(θ)cos(θ) \sin(\theta )-\cos(\theta) and see if that works?
Specimen Paper III, Question 8:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending