The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
I pray we avoid Valencia and Dortmund, because - with us focusing on the league - I could do without the hysteria and narrative surrounding a Klopp return to Germany or us meeting Gary Neville.

And also the fact that they'd both beat us
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
And also the fact that they'd both beat us

Yeah. And that.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
If I didn't suffer from narcolepsy before I sure do now.

There's just something about the Europa League, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a match in it.
So, our game against Exeter in the FA Cup will be on a FRIDAY night at 8pm. How on Earth are our fans meant to make the journey in time for that? All for the sake of TV. I expect a fair few may boycott the game, if I'm honest. I'm inclined to agree with FC United. Friday isn't a night for football. It's a construct by TV companies.
Original post by Mackay
So, our game against Exeter in the FA Cup will be on a FRIDAY night at 8pm. How on Earth are our fans meant to make the journey in time for that? All for the sake of TV. I expect a fair few may boycott the game, if I'm honest. I'm inclined to agree with FC United. Friday isn't a night for football. It's a construct by TV companies.

8,500 fans who will go to the game against how many who will watch the game on TV?

Tbh I'm not entirely against the model in Spain where games are spread out from Friday night till Monday night to allow for every game to be screened.
Original post by Zerforax
8,500 fans who will go to the game against how many who will watch the game on TV?

Tbh I'm not entirely against the model in Spain where games are spread out from Friday night till Monday night to allow for every game to be screened.

What's your point? That it doesn't matter to the 8,500? That's 8,500 Liverpool fans who will have to miss work. For a game of football.

It could just as easily be screened on a Saturday or Sunday, and a game with two sides closer together geographically on Friday...
Original post by Mackay
What's your point? That it doesn't matter to the 8,500? That's 8,500 Liverpool fans who will have to miss work. For a game of football.

It could just as easily be screened on a Saturday or Sunday, and a game with two sides closer together geographically on Friday...

More like 8,500 Scousers taking Friday night off pickpocketing.
Original post by Mackay

No offense liverpool fans needs to realize missing football is not the end of their life.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
No offense liverpool fans needs to realize missing football is not the end of their life.

I'm not suggesting it's the end of the world, but it's annoying when it could be so easily avoided.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941

Maybe you need to realise that after a hard week at work, some people like to go out at the weekend and watch their favourite team in the world.

For some families it's a weekly tradition; take your son to the game as he grows up and he'll do the same when he gets older.
Yeah at the most basic level it's just a game, but for thousands of fans it's so much more.
Original post by Zerforax

Be careful what you wish for. The Spanish fans hate the model. Pretty sure there have been many protest about it.

No issue with televised weekday game to be honest but Mackay is right Exeter is too far from Liverpool for fans to make in time on a weekday. We're probably talking about 6 hours for most of them here. There are many closer ties they could've taken and this is not even an exciting match up. I really doubt many liverpool fans will change their plans to catch this on TV.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Maybe you need to realise that after a hard week at work, some people like to go out at the weekend and watch their favourite team in the world.

For some families it's a weekly tradition; take your son to the game as he grows up and he'll do the same when he gets older.
Yeah at the most basic level it's just a game, but for thousands of fans it's so much more.

Original post by atom y humber
Be careful what you wish for. The Spanish fans hate the model. Pretty sure there have been many protest about it.

No issue with televised weekday game to be honest but Mackay is right Exeter is too far from Liverpool for fans to make in time on a weekday. There are many closer ties they could've taken and it's not even an exciting match up. I really doubt many liverpool fans will change their plans to catch this on TV.

You're both spot on. Even if it was 12noon on the Saturday, it would be acceptable. To expect Liverpool fans to make a 250+ mile trip at 10pm on a Friday night is nothing short of ridiculous, not to mention short-sighted, by BBC chiefs wanting maximum TV audience over a decent atmosphere at the ground itself.
**** I hadn't even considered the return journey. So most will have to coach it which probably means it's an overnight trip back. Nah not worth it. Liverpool probably have enough fans around south west to fill the 8500 but no locals are going.

Major **** up.
Original post by atom y humber
**** I hadn't even considered the return journey. So most will have to coach it which probably means it's an overnight trip back. Nah not worth it. Liverpool probably have enough fans around south west to fill the 8500 but no locals are going.

Major **** up.

But this is the thing, because the way the ticketing system works at Liverpool, it'll likely be season ticket holders from around the city who get entry to the match and I doubt many south-based Reds will.
Pleased to see Man Utd lose. Would be great if we could finish above them this season!
Top 4 is wide open, we really need to take advantage of these slip ups. I'll be incredibly frustrated if we don't get the 3 points tomorrow.
I predict 0-0 unfortunately, West Brom love to park the bus.
Klopp wants a "special moment". Guess we'll be banking on Coutinho for that one, then.
Original post by The.Joker
Top 4 is wide open, we really need to take advantage of these slip ups. I'll be incredibly frustrated if we don't get the 3 points tomorrow.

Really I expect us to win the next 4 after losing to Newcastle.
Original post by The.Joker

Considering we missed a huge opportunity last week, I'll go in to rage mode if we do it again today.

No excuses.

Latest