The Student Room Group

I don't know what I want to do after finishing A levels!

Hey guys! I'm pretty sure there are a lot of questions like this, but I genuinely don't know what I want to do at Uni!
After achieving 11 A*- B GCSE's at an underachieving secondary school, I decided to move to a grammar school. I was aiming to do medicine. Although sciences weren't my strongest subjects, (BB at GCSE) I was very passionate towards them thus I decided to take them on at A Level... Surprise, Surprise, after taking the AS exams at summer '15, I got ACCEEU, (A in Russian, C in Dutch,(Raised in Russia, moved to Belgium, and then moved to England) , C in EPQ, E in biology + maths and U in chemistry). Grammar school kicked me out, so I then joined a college to redo my AS's and decided to continue with chemistry (which ironically, is my favourite subject) and take on business and sociology. Right now, I am getting straight A's and the occasional B's which sounds very promising and the opposite of what I got last year all together.
Problem is, I don't think I want to study essay based subjects at a degree level. Never really been a book reader. Yet I did consider international relations due to my knowledge of 3 languages yet I am not fan of politics... On the other hand I would love to be involved in the evolution of our society and I am just so confused!! And studying languages for me is a big no no =P
I really don't want to sound fussy! It's just I do not wish to make the same mistake as I did at the beginning of my AS's - choose to study something that I not capable of doing it .....
Get the best possible A level results this year. Write them down anywhere and work towards getting them.

In the mean time, visit Open Days and do a bit more research in the degrees that may interest you. Perhaps you may be more suited to a joint degree which will allow you to dabble in more than one area?

Imo, you seem to be jumping around from one degree to another. Clear your mind and instead think about where you want to see yourself in 5-10 years time. Do you want to be working in an office? In politics? Perhaps in research as a scientist?
Do business or accounting degree.
Original post by High Stakes
Get the best possible A level results this year. Write them down anywhere and work towards getting them.

In the mean time, visit Open Days and do a bit more research in the degrees that may interest you. Perhaps you may be more suited to a joint degree which will allow you to dabble in more than one area?

Imo, you seem to be jumping around from one degree to another. Clear your mind and instead think about where you want to see yourself in 5-10 years time. Do you want to be working in an office? In politics? Perhaps in research as a scientist?

Hmm, joined degree does sound interesting!
I wish I could, but I really can't see my self doing anything... Offices are boring but the other two do sound good!
Cheers mate :smile:
Original post by Coollad1999
Do business or accounting degree.

hmm maybe :smile: thanks!
Original post by prostheticzeta
hmm maybe :smile: thanks!

Actually, I think you should leave that choice as a last resort in case you really can't decide on anything to do. If you find an interesting course that you are really passionate about, do that. Otherwise just do a businessman fm accounting degree as it gives you skills for a variety of jobs.
do economics, engineering or computer science

Quick Reply

Latest