The Student Room Group

Ugandan president said gays are 'disgusting', so where's the petition to ban him?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/24/world/africa/uganda-homosexuality-interview/

Guess it's not trendy enough to warrant a 500k petition (not that I believe either should be banned)...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's black, so SJW will probably support him ..
Reply 2
It's less shocking to hear something like this from a place like Uganda as opposed to hearing derogatory comments from a major idol in 1st world country who seem to think they are the shining example of excellence (USA).

Though what this guy is saying is disgusting undeniably
Disgrace!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
It's less shocking to hear something like this from a place like Uganda as opposed to hearing derogatory comments from a major idol in 1st world country who seem to think they are the shining example of excellence (USA).

But it's not shocking to hear it from Trump, so I struggle to see your point.
Original post by demx9
He's black, so SJW will probably support him ..

Because it's excusable to be a homophobe if you're black :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Lady Comstock

On the contrary I think an outright ban on Muslims is a shocking thing to say, even from Trump's idiotic conscience.
Original post by abruiseonthesky

Well where's the 500k petition?

The point is that it should be shocking to hear attitudes like that in somewhere that considers itself to be modern/hold western values/progressive/'land of the free' etc. than somewhere like Uganda or the Middle East (not that it's any more acceptable from leaders of these places).
On the contrary I think an outright ban on Muslims is a shocking thing to say, even from Trump's idiotic conscience.

So what's your position - it's the statement that's shocking or the person saying it? Because if it's the former, I am not sure how you reconcile that one receives a 500k petition but the other does not.
Reply 10

SJW don't care about logic
Well where's the 500k petition?

Well given that the only reason I've heard of this story is because you made a thread on it, I'd wager it's proooobably because no one has a clue it's happened..? Plus what someone else said (I can't remember who because I'm an idiot).
So what's your position - it's the statement that's shocking or the person saying it? Because if it's the former, I am not sure how you reconcile that one receives a 500k petition but the other does not.

Jfc do I need to repeat myself;

Original post by demx9
SJW don't care about logic

Who are we actually labelling SJW's here? The tumblr crowd or those reknowned satanist 'lefties'?
The point is that it should be shocking to hear attitudes like that in somewhere that considers itself to be modern/hold western values/progressive/'land of the free' etc. than somewhere like Uganda or the Middle East (not that it's any more acceptable from leaders of these places).

If someone from the Deep South of the USA said 'I hate gays', I would find it less shocking than if a human rights worker in Uganda said 'I hate gays'. Location has nothing to do with it and seems to me to be an excuse when the answer is basically one is more trendy than the other.
How do you 'ban' a president? As much as you disagree with his views, you cannot impose your own on him. He's not some random British politician that would be expected to adhere to British values, unfortunately his views probably reflect the vast majority of Ugandan's too. In short, a petition would be pointless. He does not give a **** about what the West would think
Ah, a petition. That will change everything.

The hardening of laws in Uganda is not new. It has been reported about extensively in both the mainstream and LGBT press for 6 or 7 years now. It's just that other threatening to or cutting financial aid, we can't do a lot about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
We arnt forced to partake in a "Special relationship" with Uganda.
Jfc do I need to repeat myself;

My point is that you would have to have had your head in the sand to be shocked by someone calling for Muslims to be banned when they have called for mosques to be shut in the past, Muslims to be put in a register, etc.

Would you honestly be 'shocked' if a famous Republican figure in the Deep South said 'I am a proud homophobe' just because he is saying it within a 1st world country?
I don't think gay people themselves are disgusting but I do believe that homeosexuality is sinful and wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending