The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7580
Ah this thread is so quiet now! We're all far too busy!

Am i right in thinking most of you will change placement in the new year?
Original post by S27
Ah this thread is so quiet now! We're all far too busy!

Am i right in thinking most of you will change placement in the new year?

Yeah, I change placements at the end of January... and I can't say I'm excited about it. I love my school and my class, and I'm really going to miss them! I'm already looking forward to the Easter holidays so that I can finish the second placement and go back to my school!
I'm doing a few smaller placements over the next few months (a week in ks3, 2 weeks in EYFS, an observation placement), then my final big one from March-June.

I can't wait for the next big placement. I'll be in KS1 which is where my heart really is. I've enjoyed the curriculum for year 4, but I don't have the temperament for ks2.

I finish my current placement on Wednesday and can't wait. As individuals I like most of my class, but as a class to teach I really don't enjoy it. I could deal with a handful of really badly behaved individuals, but a good three quarters of this class are constant low level disrupters and it's just beyond me.

I'll probably miss the kids as people, but I'm beyond pleased not to teach the whole class again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Haven't been on this thread since the summer. The course is going fine, work etc is manageable just homesick which isn't so nice! Try not to over think everything I feel like this thread painted the demands of this course so much worst than they actually are!

Positivity is key for us and others who are planning to apply to teaching.

A week in uni and then it's the holidays. The new year will be much kinder to us all and the mornings will soon be bright again, motivation!
Original post by MissSunshine26
Haven't been on this thread since the summer. The course is going fine, work etc is manageable just homesick which isn't so nice! Try not to over think everything I feel like this thread painted the demands of this course so much worst than they actually are!

Positivity is key for us and others who are planning to apply to teaching.

A week in uni and then it's the holidays. The new year will be much kinder to us all and the mornings will soon be bright again, motivation!

I know exactly what you mean - the picture I got of the PGCE was much worse than I've found it! Sure I work most weekends, and I'm tired and looking forward to the holidays... but I'm only stressed out periodically, when I have a whole series of lessons to completely re-plan because the first one didn't work! Other than that, I'm really enjoying myself. Can't wait for the Nativity play tomorrow!!!!!!
I'm sure this thread is much quieter this year. I think all us last year were massive whiners!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I'm sure this thread is much quieter this year. I think all us last year were massive whiners!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can say that again! Wait until the second placement for the real whining to begin!

Congrats on almost finishing your first placement guys! Enjoy the holiday, you thoroughly deserve it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beanbrain
I know exactly what you mean - the picture I got of the PGCE was much worse than I've found it! Sure I work most weekends, and I'm tired and looking forward to the holidays... but I'm only stressed out periodically, when I have a whole series of lessons to completely re-plan because the first one didn't work! Other than that, I'm really enjoying myself. Can't wait for the Nativity play tomorrow!!!!!!

Yeah, i feel like it needs to be more positive comments to prevent putting future students off applying. I feel stressed sometimes from not being worried and stressed the way this thread painted it lol
Oh enjoy the Nativity and the holidays :smile:
Reply 7588
How much of a demand is there for part time teaching after PGCE - is it a viable option? I'm enjoying this year but have no idea about next!
I've definitely not found pgce as stressful as it's made out to be. The actual teaching part of placement is a steep learning curve, especially with a difficult class. But not as bad as I expected.

I've not stayed late at school much (never after 6), not been overwhelmed with planning at weekends and not found it too scary getting in the class with the kids. I've had one breakdown and that was an evening where I'd decided to plan three lessons the night before because I'm an idiot sometimes.

Not saying it hasn't been challenging or I've found it easy, but I was lead to believe "most stressful year of my life" etc and it just hasn't been.

I think getting your info online is a bit of an echo chamber...the people who need support are the ones posting here, not the people who are fine. It's a fantastic resource when you need a pep talk or advice, but not much good for applicants to get an accurate view.
(edited 8 years ago)
My class teacher commented that my behaviour management in today's lesson was good! :colondollar: I couldn't believe it as I am always self-criticising in this area. She reminded me that a significant number of children had behavioural and emotional needs. A few came into the classroom first thing already angry; having them engaged in Maths work was an achievement in itself.

3 more days to go... Now I can say that PGCE is hard work; the learning curve is steep and the finance is tight without big bursary. At the same time, it is doable and very rewarding.
Hi guys,

I'm doing a pgce primary and my university does 3 placements. I've been with ks2 (year 6) since September and I just found out that I'll be in year 2.

I'm slightly anxious about teaching ks1 as I have more experience within ks2 and I much refer teaching upper ks2.

Any advice tips about ks1 would be much appreciated, especially with regards to phonics?

Thanks in advance [:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah1239
Hi guys,

I'm doing a pgce primary and my university does 3 placements. I've been with ks2 (year 6) since September and I just found out that I'll be in year 2.

I'm slightly anxious about teaching ks1 as I have more experience within ks2 and I much refer teaching upper ks2.

Any advice tips about ks1 would be much appreciated, especially with regards to phonics?

Thanks in advance [:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phonics isn't too bad. If anything I'd say the main challenge is keeping it interesting and fast enough as it is very repetitive.

Your school will likely follow some sort of scheme, it may even have a full plan for each session. There will be lots of support so don't panic!

I'd recommend buying a copy of Letters and Sounds if you can find one online -it lists all the graphemes to teach in a good order, lists correspondences between phonemes and graphemes plus example words using different phonemes (good for when thinking up activities, you don't have to spend ages thinking of words). It also has lots of suggested activities to use. You can plan a whole week or more of sessions in a short time by just rotating through different activities.

The sessions will just be a series of short games to recap then learn something new and practice using it.

Don't worry about the terminology, it can seem confusing but it doesn't take long to pick up. I found the book "Reading Under Control" was very good at explaining it if you can find that in the library.

If you struggle with timing like I did at first, just remember that the NEW content is most important. If you need to cut the recap short, do.

Good luck! KS1 is lovely... They are eager to learn. They like being outside. Read them lots of stories. Remember that some of them wont have communication down yet so look at the whole picture, not just what they say. And remember they will have recently come from early years so even in a free play, independent focussed KS1 settings there is gonna be more structure that they are still getting used to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Phonics isn't too bad. If anything I'd say the main challenge is keeping it interesting and fast enough as it is very repetitive.

Your school will likely follow some sort of scheme, it may even have a full plan for each session. There will be lots of support so don't panic!

I'd recommend buying a copy of Letters and Sounds if you can find one online -it lists all the graphemes to teach in a good order, lists correspondences between phonemes and graphemes plus example words using different phonemes (good for when thinking up activities, you don't have to spend ages thinking of words). It also has lots of suggested activities to use. You can plan a whole week or more of sessions in a short time by just rotating through different activities.

The sessions will just be a series of short games to recap then learn something new and practice using it.

Don't worry about the terminology, it can seem confusing but it doesn't take long to pick up. I found the book "Reading Under Control" was very good at explaining it if you can find that in the library.

If you struggle with timing like I did at first, just remember that the NEW content is most important. If you need to cut the recap short, do.

Good luck! KS1 is lovely... They are eager to learn. They like being outside. Read them lots of stories. Remember that some of them wont have communication down yet so look at the whole picture, not just what they say. And remember they will have recently come from early years so even in a free play, independent focussed KS1 settings there is gonna be more structure that they are still getting used to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for your advice, it was very helpful. I've come across the Letters and Sounds scheme, I'll definitely have a proper look.

I've had so much experience in ks2 compared to ks1. I've only spent 2 weeks in year 2 once, I think it's just unfamiliarity with thr year group that's making me worried. But , I'm looking forward to the experience because it'll be different to teaching the older ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you hand in a PGCE assignment late does it mean you will be capped at the pass percentage? (50%)
Original post by xjay1234
If you hand in a PGCE assignment late does it mean you will be capped at the pass percentage? (50%)

Depends on your uni policy.
I handed in on time.

Now I can enjoy my Christmas break!

33.3% of the course done!

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Depends on your uni policy.
Does anyone know when NQT jobs start to appear online? Just had a bit of a look (I got an NUT job finding booklet through the post) and it doesn't seem like there's anything yet!
Original post by emily131
Does anyone know when NQT jobs start to appear online? Just had a bit of a look (I got an NUT job finding booklet through the post) and it doesn't seem like there's anything yet!

You'll want to look at this post! https://community.tes.com/threads/finding-your-first-teaching-post-september-2016-edition.723162/

I've been looking on and off since I started the course in September. Probably because I'm terrified I've made the wrong decision and won't be able to get a job once I'm finished with the PGCE. Which is silly, because I've chosen to do secondary school science.......
Original post by emily131

Anytime now. It usually builds up from January and then goes crazy after Easter.

I found my job about a week before I finished my PGCE and I'm glad I was so picky. Don't settle or your NQT year will be hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending