The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
It's being repeated in the afternoons at 2pm during the weekdays I believe.

da***, how do i not know this :bawling: oh wells, have no time for it anyway :bawling:
Reply 1341
Original post by SunDun111
Do you feel a connection with god?

Bit complicated to explain, but I'm personally part of the Advaita Vedanta branch where the word is Brahman. The word God kinda implies an Abrahamic-type deity who is separate to us and where there is no reconciliation between you and God.

In this branch, Atman (Self) and Brahman are one and the same - through meditating I'm "connecting" to the Self (Atman) which is essentially Brahman Itself.

Probably makes no sense unless you have some understanding of Advaita philosophy!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1342
Original post by cupcakes87
da***, how do i not know this :bawling: oh wells, have no time for it anyway :bawling:

Record it and watch it when you're free - maybe during the summer again :wink:
Original post by nucdev
Bit complicated to explain, but I'm personally part of the Advaita Vedanta branch where the word is Brahman. The word God kinda implies an Abrahamic-type deity who is separate to us and where there is no reconciliation between you and God.

In this branch, Atman (Self) and Brahman are one and the same - through meditating I'm "connecting" to the Self (Atman) which is essentially Brahman Itself.

Probably makes no sense unless you have some understanding of Advaita philosophy!

I dont haha. Not really a religious hindu, but i LIKE various festivals such as navratri (my favourite)
Reply 1344
I dont haha. Not really a religious hindu, but i LIKE various festivals such as navratri (my favourite)

That's fair enough lol.

You might not be a religious Hindu, but do you believe in yourself and your abilities?
If you do, then you're a good a Vedanti Hindu as any.

If you want, The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda is brilliant stuff to read:-

"To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will.
'I will drink the ocean', says the persevering soul, 'at my will mountains will crumble up.'
Have that sort of energy, that sort of will, work hard, and you will reach the goal."

- Vivekananda
Original post by nucdev
That's fair enough lol.

You might not be a religious Hindu, but do you believe in yourself and your abilities?
If you do, then you're a good a Vedanti Hindu as any.

If you want, The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda is brilliant stuff to read:-

"To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will.
'I will drink the ocean', says the persevering soul, 'at my will mountains will crumble up.'
Have that sort of energy, that sort of will, work hard, and you will reach the goal."

- Vivekananda

What do you mean by myself and abilities?
Reply 1346
What do you mean by myself and abilities?

Having a 'can do' attitude and the belief that you can do anything that you set your mind to.
Self-belief and confidence in you as an individual. That sort of stuff.

A lot of Advaita Vedanta philosophy is about psychology and thinking in the "right/positive way".
Original post by nucdev
Having a 'can do' attitude and the belief that you can do anything that you set your mind to.
Self-belief and confidence in you as an individual. That sort of stuff.

A lot of Advaita Vedanta philosophy is about psychology and thinking in the "right/positive way".

Or ok, well yes I do.

As Hindus i believe we get targeted a lot in schools, Most of my Hindu mates get the p*ss taken out of them for believing in 'Elephants as God' etc. Have you ever been targeted like this? Several occasions at school my muslim friend has called me out on believing in reincarnation by claiming it is false.
Reply 1348
Or ok, well yes I do.

As Hindus i believe we get targeted a lot in schools, Most of my Hindu mates get the p*ss taken out of them for believing in 'Elephants as God' etc. Have you ever been targeted like this? Several occasions at school my muslim friend has called me out on believing in reincarnation by claiming it is false.

Lol well that alone is good enough to be putting some of the teachings of Advaita Vedanta into practice without necessarily calling yourself a practising Hindu (or even a Hindu). This is why I like this particular pathway - it acknowledges that anybody and everybody can hit the 'jackpot' so to speak, including a militant atheist who hates all things related to religion.
It doesn't say that the Absolute is limited to one particular religion, group or sect - it's open/unbounded.

I don't call myself a "religious" person simply because it implies that you're someone who believes in fixed/rigid doctrines, dogmas, rituals etc. and I'm kinda the opposite - I prefer to be free spirited regarding my pathway.

Tbh from the age of about 14 to 20, I basically identified as an anti-religious atheist, so no-one made comments like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1349
Original post by cupcakes87
lols yep, thats how i worked out makhan chor :lol:

love Krishna :love:

Enjoy the pics :wink:

Especially the one at 1:00 :love:

[video="youtube;sV70eMxV5zE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV70eMxV5zE[/video]
Reply 1350
Gone dead as usual :facepalm:

Ahh well, until then - Om Jai Jagadish with an English translation:

[video="youtube;0DanmSq7EAM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DanmSq7EAM[/video]
Original post by nucdev

[video="youtube;0DanmSq7EAM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DanmSq7EAM[/video]

Always liked this, during the Aarti with this song I always feel inner peace.
Reply 1352
Always liked this, during the Aarti with this song I always feel inner peace.

I agree - still get tears of joy when I listen to this song.

One I recently heard which is now one of my favourites:

[video="youtube;WSiXhe8Rq08"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiXhe8Rq08[/video]
Reply 1353
Came across this quote from Swami Vivekananda- something I feel people of all religions should take to heart:

"Do not believe in a thing because you have read about it in a book. Do not believe in a thing because another man has said it was true.
Do not believe in words because they are hallowed by tradition. Find out the truth for yourself. Reason it out. That is realization."
Original post by nucdev

No matter how hard you try, it's not going to get really active, in my opinion :lol:
Reply 1355
Original post by moment of truth
No matter how hard you try, it's not going to get really active, in my opinion :lol:

True, which is a shame :facepalm2:

Aah well, my second home is the Sikh Soc, until this one becomes properly active again :laugh:
Original post by nucdev
True, which is a shame :facepalm2:

Aah well, my second home is the Sikh Soc, until this one becomes properly active again :laugh:

It's good that the Sikh Soc is active. Has always been more active than this one in my experience I think :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1357
Original post by moment of truth
It's good that the Sikh Soc is active. Has always been more active than this one in my experience I think :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True - I mean just look at the number of posts they have compared to ours.

Tbh I think that most Hindu yutes (:lol:) get turned off Hinduism because of its complexity, so few Hindu youths really bother with it.
Original post by nucdev
True - I mean just look at the number of posts they have compared to ours.

Tbh I think that most Hindu yutes (:lol:) get turned off Hinduism because of its complexity, so few Hindu youths really bother with it.

:rofl: that is true with the youths that I know (including me :colondollar:). It's a sad state of affairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread was made in 2006 and we haven't moved on to the next one yet :lol: :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending