The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
I was reading on RAWK that Benteke (and the 3 other Red shirts) were all actually offside despite one defender being between them and the goal. Apparently the rule is that there has to be atleast two defenders between the last attacker and the goal for him to be onside. As the Leicester GK was in our own half, there was only one defender.

Anyone here know about that part of the rule? Obviously doesn't change the fact that Benteke missed the sitter of the decade...

Yeah, it was offside. Questionable finish by Benteke, questionable decision to pass to him by Firmino, and a questionable decision from the linesman. Poor stuff all round.
Original post by samir12
I was reading on RAWK that Benteke (and the 3 other Red shirts) were all actually offside despite one defender being between them and the goal. Apparently the rule is that there has to be atleast two defenders between the last attacker and the goal for him to be onside. As the Leicester GK was in our own half, there was only one defender.

Anyone here know about that part of the rule? Obviously doesn't change the fact that Benteke missed the sitter of the decade...

Yeah you're right, it was offside.
Officials should've caught it although in fairness it's an extremely rare occurrence.

Doesn't take anything away from how shocking it was from Benteke though.
Luckily Leicester didn't go up the other end and score but can you imagine if they did?

Benteke is the kind of striker who scores you a goal out of nothing and that's amazing, but consistently over the course of a season it's clear he isn't the man for us.
Our team isn't suited to playing a way that best utilises the big man and at times it feels like we're forcing our play just to fashion him a half chance.

We should never have bought him in the first place and although his scoring record for Villa was exceptional, that's primarily because they moulded their style of play to suit him perfectly. We'll never be like that under Klopp.
(edited 8 years ago)
Says Benteke isn't the man for us over the course of a season
Has only seen him play in Klopp's system for three months

ok
Origi and Milner missing out on Wednesday, apparently. The former has a hamstring injury, but Jordon Ibe is back according to Klopp.
Sounds stupid but I think that Ighalo goal is very crucial to our top 4 chances.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Sounds stupid but I think that Ighalo goal is very crucial to our top 4 chances.

That's if they can hold on, Spurs haven't had much trouble scoring lately.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That's if they can hold on, Spurs haven't had much trouble scoring lately.

I'm positive they can win.
okay **** that
I'm positive they can win.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That's if
they can hold on, Spurs haven't had much trouble scoring lately.

Spurs have a habit of dropping points from leading positions. I think it's 12 thus far.
Absolutely gutted, Watford deserved the win. Deeney has played like a hero
Everton losing is great but Stoke are very close to us now.
Spurs winning is very worrying - seemed like the classic thing where they'd drop points but they got the win.

8 points clear of us (before we play) so we simply cannot afford to drop points.
Still a long way to go but I don't fancy a gap like that.
Annoyed Spurs won but what can you do. We can only really focus on winning ourselves.

Win on Wednesday and we're on 30 points which would be the same points as Man Utd, 10 points ahead of Chelsea. Annoyingly would be 5 behind Spurs and 8+ behind Leicester but I think we can catch up with one of them before the end of the season..
(edited 8 years ago)
That performance and result from Spurs completely flies in the face of my earlier point that they had a habit of dropping points from winning positions, but oh well. They are a good side, in truth. Man to man, we're better, but we're in a state of flux and if Klopp had been at Anfield as long as Pochetinno had been at White Hart Lane, I reckon we'd be in there position.
Need you lot to win on Wednesday for £300. Don't let me down lads.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Need you lot to win on Wednesday for £300. Don't let me down lads.

I think it's rare for clubs to bag six points over busy festive periods and congested matchdays like these, but I'm confident we can go to Sunderland and get something.
Original post by Mackay
I think it's rare for clubs to bag six points over busy festive periods and congested matchdays like these, but I'm confident we can go to Sunderland and get something.

Hopefully having a longer break should be an advantage. If you don't win I'm never posting in this thread again :biggrin:
Sergi Canos with an absolute cracker today: https://twitter.com/Musker_LFC/status/681524422684065793
Original post by samir12

What part of the rule? That is the only part of the rule.

Original post by Lúcio
Yeah you're right, it was offside.
Officials should've caught it although in fairness it's an extremely rare occurrence.

Doesn't take anything away from how shocking it was from Benteke though.
Luckily Leicester didn't go up the other end and score but can you imagine if they did?

x.

I think Shearer said the linesman should be sacked. It's literally one thing he's supposed to be concentrating on and is far from rare, there are many occasions in each game where the goalkeeper is not the furthest player back, such as nearly every single corner.

The amount of times I've seen professional players miss 2 (or more) on 1 chances is too damn high. These conditions need to be replicated in training. It's normally the fact that a decision needs to be made that leads to a loss of concentration in connecting with the ball. We've seen Benteke miss 1v1s before, but this was easier given it wasn't even a keeper so no power was necessary.

Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Hopefully having a longer break should be an advantage. If you don't win I'm never posting in this thread again :biggrin:

Yeah beneficial in that we don't need to rotate as much i.e. don't have to revert to Allen, but tbh I would have preferred the one day break like the rest because Sunderland would have to rotate as well so that doesn't matter, but what matters is that for the game after that we'd have a shorter break than our opposition. Not that you'd care much, good luck with your bet.

I'm hoping Hendo can get a goal vs his former club as often happens and another clean sheet, but don't want Coutinho to score as all my rivals seem to have him in FPL... :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Sergi Canos with an absolute cracker today: https://twitter.com/Musker_LFC/status/681524422684065793

Reminiscent of a young Messi goal.

There were 5 attacking youth talents in that age group that were highly rated. In terms of potetial it was roughly seen as: Ojo/Wilson looking best, then Kent, Sinclair, Canos.

Canos has had the best season of the lot, Sinclair has been frozen out of the first team and then signed Aidy Ward as his agent, I think Kent's been injured but his loan has been intermittently good, Wilson's loan flopped miserably and Ojo's has fizzled out.
I think Kent's been injured but his loan has been intermittently good

Watched Coventry against Oldham the other week, and he was good if a little too slow to make things happen. That said, he's raw, and didn't shrink away during the football match. Playing in a front four who are high-flying - alongside the experience of Joe Cole and prolific Adam Armstrong - can only benefit him, really.

Latest