The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

2016 English Literature with Creative Writing Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmathereader
Haha thanks for the reassurance! A BBQ by the lake sounds like heaven! The student newspaper, creative writing and cinema societies all caught my eye, but the group that I immediately thought 'I'd definitely join that' is CHRONIC. Now you mention it, the assassins one certainly looks interesting!

I'm sure you don't need it, you'll do fine!
All the student ambassadors I saw on the open day said they have bbqs there all the time, which I thought sounded amazing! Oh I forgot about the student newspaper, I'd love to work on that! Was CHRONIC the group for people with chronic health problems? I think I read about that. God, are you okay??? I was liking the look of the SAAC for campaigning and stuff, but I doubt I'll have time for all this! I don't like exercising generally because I'm incredibly lazy, so who knows if I'd go ahead and join assassins, but it looked like a good laugh!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Amberotton
I'm sure you don't need it, you'll do fine!
All the student ambassadors I saw on the open day said they have bbqs there all the time, which I thought sounded amazing! Oh I forgot about the student newspaper, I'd love to work on that! Was CHRONIC the group for people with chronic health problems? I think I read about that. God, are you okay??? I was liking the look of the SAAC for campaigning and stuff, but I doubt I'll have time for all this! I don't like exercising generally because I'm incredibly lazy, so who knows if I'd go ahead and join assassins, but it looked like a good laugh!

I spoke to someone about the BBQs as well, definitely excited for that! Yeah, Chronic is the group for people with chronic health conditions and disabilities, I've got developmental hip dysplasia and early osteoarthritis in my hip joint (I'm pretty open talking about it - I'm fine!). I am an extremely lazy person as well, and I probably wouldn't do myself any favours joining Assassins, however it is that kind of bizarre, fun society that I adore!
(edited 8 years ago)
I spoke to someone about the BBQs as well, definitely excited for that! Yeah, Chronic is the group for people with chronic health conditions and disabilities, I've got developmental hip dysplasia and early osteoarthritis in my hip joint (I'm pretty open talking about it - I'm fine!). I am an extremely lazy person as well, and I probably wouldn't do myself any favours joining Assassins, however it is that kind of bizarre, fun society that I adore!

Oh I understand, my mum has osteroarthritis and my best friend actually just had a hip operation as her joint wasn't correctly formed and has to undergo several more. It must make things pretty difficult for you?
Exactly! It looks so fun and exciting, and it's probably a great way to meet people but I'm like a human sloth... My laziness will probably overpower my interest in it 😂
Oh I understand, my mum has osteroarthritis and my best friend actually just had a hip operation as her joint wasn't correctly formed and has to undergo several more. It must make things pretty difficult for you?
Exactly! It looks so fun and exciting, and it's probably a great way to meet people but I'm like a human sloth... My laziness will probably overpower my interest in it 😂

Your friend's op sounds not too dissimilar to something I had a few years back - mine wasn't formed correctly either, I had it reshaped and held with pins. I've always had it so I've found my ways of coping with discomfort by now, I'm just not the most mobile! As for being a human sloth, I'm definitely with you on that one! But as you said, it'd be a fantastic way to meet people - I can't wait to get to know a whole new group of people :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Your friend's op sounds not too dissimilar to something I had a few years back - mine wasn't formed correctly either, I had it reshaped and held with pins. I've always had it so I've found my ways of coping with discomfort by now, I'm just not the most mobile! As for being a human sloth, I'm definitely with you on that one! But as you said, it'd be a fantastic way to meet people - I can't wait to get to know a whole new group of people :smile:

That's the exact operation she had last year! It didn't go so well though so she's having a full replacement after exams :/ will you need yours doing again at any point? It seems so painful, she's on morphine and couldn't walk for about six weeks!?!
Ugh exactly that, so tired of being with the same people I've known since I was four. So much more independence too in our accomodation. It should be pretty easy to meet people I think? The course, accomodation and societies if we join them?
That's the exact operation she had last year! It didn't go so well though so she's having a full replacement after exams :/ will you need yours doing again at any point? It seems so painful, she's on morphine and couldn't walk for about six weeks!?!
Ugh exactly that, so tired of being with the same people I've known since I was four. So much more independence too in our accomodation. It should be pretty easy to meet people I think? The course, accomodation and societies if we join them?

I may have to have another soon (dependent on the arthritis situation) with a full replacement inevitable in the short-to-mid-term - I always knew I'd have one as a lot of people with DDH do, it's about prolonging the life of this hip as long as possible to reduce the number of full replacements I'd have in a lifetime. Good luck to your friend with hers, I feel her pain! I couldn't walk for 6 weeks after mine (this was 18 months ago) and it was the most tedious period of my life, lying in bed unable to even turn over - I used to sleep on that side too, something I can't really do any more. I hope her next op has better success than the last x
I'm praying for a great set of flatmates! I'm surrounded by people I've known for between 7-14 years, and back then I was so shy that I hardly made the best impression on most of them (although quite a few were idiots anyway). Can't wait to almost 'start afresh'.
I may have to have another soon (dependent on the arthritis situation) with a full replacement inevitable in the short-to-mid-term - I always knew I'd have one as a lot of people with DDH do, it's about prolonging the life of this hip as long as possible to reduce the number of full replacements I'd have in a lifetime. Good luck to your friend with hers, I feel her pain! I couldn't walk for 6 weeks after mine (this was 18 months ago) and it was the most tedious period of my life, lying in bed unable to even turn over - I used to sleep on that side too, something I can't really do any more. I hope her next op has better success than the last x
I'm praying for a great set of flatmates! I'm surrounded by people I've known for between 7-14 years, and back then I was so shy that I hardly made the best impression on most of them (although quite a few were idiots anyway). Can't wait to almost 'start afresh'.

Oh god that must be so stressful. I can't imagine the kind of pain that causes And it must be so frustrating to have to be dependent on people after an op like that. It would drive me crazy. Thank you, on her behalf. I hope you're doing okay too! X
I was the exact same, i wish I'd gone to college sometimes just to meet new people but I was definitely too shy then, it's only been this year I've broken out of my shell and now all those people that have known me so long but not really known me are kind of shocked. It's kind of frustrating that I'm making new friends and stuff now when I won't even be with them much longer. But hey, this time next year we'll all be living it up and failing at cooking and washing our own clothes. A fresh start is definitely needed!
Oh god that must be so stressful. I can't imagine the kind of pain that causes And it must be so frustrating to have to be dependent on people after an op like that. It would drive me crazy. Thank you, on her behalf. I hope you're doing okay too! X
I was the exact same, i wish I'd gone to college sometimes just to meet new people but I was definitely too shy then, it's only been this year I've broken out of my shell and now all those people that have known me so long but not really known me are kind of shocked. It's kind of frustrating that I'm making new friends and stuff now when I won't even be with them much longer. But hey, this time next year we'll all be living it up and failing at cooking and washing our own clothes. A fresh start is definitely needed!

Thank you :smile:
I had that last year, where I really began to feel comfortable around others, and began to speak to people I hadn't really said a word to since yr 7. I'm just that kind of person I guess - a bit nervous at first, but quite outgoing around those I trust. That's shocked a few people in the past!
Don't even get me started on cooking! I'm a huge fail at that!! I'd probably be the one who sets off the smoke alarm after leaving something in the oven too long!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello! I'm glad I've found this thread! I have had an offer for this course, but I don't really know anyone else applying for creative writing courses. I thought the campus was beautiful, I loved the Ziggurats.
Just got an offer from Warwick for English and creative writing! :smile: Has anybody else applied to Warwick and which is better Warwick or UEA because I haven't seen UEA yet.. Thanks!
Original post by markini1375
Just got an offer from Warwick for English and creative writing! :smile: Has anybody else applied to Warwick and which is better Warwick or UEA because I haven't seen UEA yet.. Thanks!
y

I applied to both, but preferred UEA for its atmosphere and teaching styles. I found Warwick to be a bit pretentious and snobby. the course looked great though. I just fell in love with UEA
Original post by SykesSwift
Hello! I'm glad I've found this thread! I have had an offer for this course, but I don't really know anyone else applying for creative writing courses. I thought the campus was beautiful, I loved the Ziggurats.

Congrats on your offer! I love the ziggurats as well :smile:
Original post by markini1375

I would say if you want to live a bit and have fun while studying at a decent university it's all about UEA. If you're purely there for education and not interested in fun then you might consider a Russell group university, but I am so glad I went to UEA :smile:

Get yourself to an applicant day or take a campus tour.
I got an offer from Warwick last week and I'm head over heels for their creative writing course. It looks fantastic, but I'm not too keen on the university as a whole because I don't want to move out. But the course is just too good to turn down. Has anyone visited Warwick or spoken with current students on the English Lit and Creative Writing course? I'm scared to turn up on the first day of term only to realise I'd be much happier elsewhere.
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
I got an offer from Warwick last week and I'm head over heels for their creative writing course. It looks fantastic, but I'm not too keen on the university as a whole because I don't want to move out. But the course is just too good to turn down. Has anyone visited Warwick or spoken with current students on the English Lit and Creative Writing course? I'm scared to turn up on the first day of term only to realise I'd be much happier elsewhere.
What makes their course better than the one at UEA? Have you looked at Unistats to compare the two courses? Overall satisfaction in UEA's course seems better, there's also factors like cost of living seems higher at Warwick.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses
Original post by thenationalhealth
What makes their course better than the one at UEA? Have you looked at Unistats to compare the two courses? Overall satisfaction in UEA's course seems better, there's also factors like cost of living seems higher at Warwick.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses

Mate, have I even applied to UEA? -___-
Mate, have I even applied to UEA? -___-

To be fair the thread is in the UEA subforum :P
To be fair the thread is in the UEA subforum :P

Yes you'd assume in the Creative Writing applicants thread of UEA that you might have considered the university :wink:
Original post by thenationalhealth
Yes you'd assume in the Creative Writing applicants thread of UEA that you might have considered the university :wink:

My bad. I'm sorry :tongue:

Hi! For the offer from Warwick for english lit & creative writing, when did you send your application off? And do you have to send a portfolio and do an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending