The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You still have one of those weird transition teams that would be pretty on point in a few years if you let it grow organically, like Arsenal did after Fabregas, Nasri, Song and RVP left.

You could do with a CB regardless as Skrtel needs to be replaced. Lovren there is still a possibility that he can make it in the team as a first choice. Koscielny was trash for a good few years and he's one of the best defenders in Europe now, Lovren requires some patience I feel but the time is up for Skrtel. Sakho is not reliable enough due to his injury problems, might be an Agger situation, hopefully that is not the case.

Can, Henderson, Coutinho, Firmino definitely have a future in the first team, Sturridge and Benteke do too. You could really build a team around all of these players, adding quality bit by bit. Also it's yet to be seen if Ings and Origi can have a realistic consistent impact on the team over a period of time. You could probably do with a Gotze signing as a signing of intent, like Arsenal did with Ozil back in 2013. He's just one of those players that you buy if they're available and you can afford it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277

You could do with a CB regardless as Skrtel needs to be replaced.

Skrtel has survived for so long PURELY on the basis that there has always been a bigger problem within the squad than him. A lack of a goalkeeper, a lack of a goal-scoring striker, a lack of a defensive midfielder, a lack of a winger etc.

Now, the excuses have disappeared. He needs to be replaced.
Original post by Zerforax
Ribery and Robben are getting on in age + lot of injuries it seems. Thiago will probably follow Guardiola so maybe Gotze could get more game time?

I can't see him selling for less than £30mil and potentially pushing towards £40mil if other English clubs come in for him. Would he improve us that much to blow a lot of our budget? As much as I want us to be signing top quality players, we would probably be better placed to spend that money across the defence or on a CM or on a striker..?

Yeah, and when they're gone, Douglas-Coman are the replacements. No chance Bayern sell Thiago and he isn't competing with Gotze for a place usually anyway.

If Gotze is available, you sign him. No questions asked. Our 'Ozil moment' as Jam says. And he's far better than our current AMs. In the right system he'd be good enough to make our other problems disappear, like Suarez used to.
Original post by jam277
You still have one of those weird transition teams that would be pretty on point in a few years if you let it grow organically, like Arsenal did after Fabregas, Nasri, Song and RVP left.

You could do with a CB regardless as Skrtel needs to be replaced. Lovren there is still a possibility that he can make it in the team as a first choice. Koscielny was trash for a good few years and he's one of the best defenders in Europe now, Lovren requires some patience I feel but the time is up for Skrtel. Sakho is not reliable enough due to his injury problems, might be an Agger situation, hopefully that is not the case.

Can, Henderson, Coutinho, Firmino definitely have a future in the first team, Sturridge and Benteke do too. You could really build a team around all of these players, adding quality bit by bit. Also it's yet to be seen if Ings and Origi can have a realistic consistent impact on the team over a period of time. You could probably do with a Gotze signing as a signing of intent, like Arsenal did with Ozil back in 2013. He's just one of those players that you buy if they're available and you can afford it.

Good post.

We have a fair few players with exceptional potential, but also too many players who won't cut it in the long run.

Agree about Lovren. He was absolute garbage until this season so who knows how it'll turn out. Remember when United fans hated Smalling?
Sakho is a real shame because it's clear he can develop in to a top quality defender. The problem is when you have such a quality player at the back, it's a massive hindrance when they're out (e.g: Kompany at City).

Klopp seems to have faith in Origi, and I was really impressed by Ings before he got injured. I'd be happy to keep both as backup provided we sign a first team striker after selling Sturridge/Benteke.

A signing of intent as you put it is exactly what we need. People need to know we're serious and that with Klopp at the helm we have real potential. Making a big signing will turn heads and get other players to take notice of us.
We were in the spotlight for a while because of Suarez, but the difference was that we developed and sold him. If we paid big money to bring a top player to us, that'd start things rolling.
Original post by Lúcio
Good post.

We have a fair few players with exceptional potential, but also too many players who won't cut it in the long run.

Agree about Lovren. He was absolute garbage until this season so who knows how it'll turn out. Remember when United fans hated Smalling?
Sakho is a real shame because it's clear he can develop in to a top quality defender. The problem is when you have such a quality player at the back, it's a massive hindrance when they're out (e.g: Kompany at City).

Klopp seems to have faith in Origi, and I was really impressed by Ings before he got injured. I'd be happy to keep both as backup provided we sign a first team striker after selling Sturridge/Benteke.

A signing of intent as you put it is exactly what we need. People need to know we're serious and that with Klopp at the helm we have real potential. Making a big signing will turn heads and get other players to take notice of us.
We were in the spotlight for a while because of Suarez, but the difference was that we developed and sold him. If we paid big money to bring a top player to us, that'd start things rolling.

Agree with pretty much everything said in here tbh.

Also, not only would a signing like Gotze show our intent and make sure other teams take us seriously, but it could potentially increase our pulling power too. Over the last 15 years or so we've had Gerrard at the club and players would come here because, even if we had a mediocre manager, we had some great players and we had Gerrard. Players want to play with other world class players, with Gerrard having left and Suarez being sold we don't really have any players here that other people want to play with, barring perhaps Coutinho in a few years time.

If you're a world class striker considering moving to the PL, would you want to go to Arsenal who have Ozil who has the most assists in the PL or go to Liverpool who have Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana, the former of which is currently injured until February. If we could had someone like Gotze then a top striker would be more likely to pick us over other PL teams.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Yeah, and when they're gone, Douglas-Coman are the replacements. No chance Bayern sell Thiago and he isn't competing with Gotze for a place usually anyway.

If Gotze is available, you sign him. No questions asked. Our 'Ozil moment' as Jam says. And he's far better than our current AMs. In the right system he'd be good enough to make our other problems disappear, like Suarez used to.

The Ozil moment can't be under-estimated, either. It wouldn't even need to be a dramatic success on the pitch in the first 18 months, in truth. Arsenal players said about the Ozil signing - they were absolutely delighted when they saw him turn up, and it lifted the entire dressing room. We need signings like that, which excite the current crop and staff, who get bums on seats etc.
I hope you guys stop Arsenal and beat them pls do us the favour ffs!!! :biggrin:
Original post by trapking
I hope you guys stop Arsenal and beat them pls do us the favour ffs!!! :biggrin:
Pretty sure that would work the other way round. At preset it's more a case of danger behind us than opportunity in front. Realistically we aren't finishing ahead of Arsenal this season, so all Liverpool win would mean is they have an extra 3 points for us to overhaul. Not exactly a favour. Much prefer an Arsenal win, and hopefully reel in one of Spurs or Leicester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Pretty sure that would work the other way round. At preset it's more a case of danger behind us than opportunity in front. Realistically we aren't finishing ahead of Arsenal this season, so all Liverpool win would mean is they have an extra 3 points for us to overhaul. Not exactly a favour. Much prefer an Arsenal win, and hopefully reel in one of Spurs or Leicester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - we're playing Arsenal, United and Leicester in the next 4 games.
I'd take an embarrassing defeat from Arsrnal if it meant we got decent results against the other 2.

Arsenal this season can't be expected to be our true rivals because we aren't competing with them. They're going for the title and we're trying to snatch 4th place. Honestly unless we bring a few good players in this month, I can't see us getting very close. But who knows?
Original post by Fizzel

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know we won't get near Arsenal but i don't want them to win the league.....hence liverpool winning would stop their silly dreams for now duhhh :ahee: :lol:

Edit: Man Utd are ****ed this season as long as LVG is in charge of us so i wouldn't have any hope for us tbh....our dreams always get crushed this season :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
I agree - we're playing Arsenal, United and Leicester in the next 4 games.
I'd take an embarrassing defeat from Arsrnal if it meant we got decent results against the other 2.

Arsenal this season can't be expected to be our true rivals because we aren't competing with them. They're going for the title and we're trying to snatch 4th place. Honestly unless we bring a few good players in this month, I can't see us getting very close. But who knows?
Even that outcome wouldn't be too bad for us so long as we do okay in our other games. Games like Liverpool-Leicester or Spurs-Leicester are good games for us. Quite tragic but a Leicester crumble is probably our best and most likely avenue of success, but we will still need to improve back to more like our pre Dec form.

As has been pointed out, your points per game under Klopp at the moment is no different. You'll need to pick up another 10 odds points for a top 4 spot at the moment.

Original post by trapking
i know we won't get near Arsenal but i don't want them to win the league.....hence liverpool winning would stop their silly dreams for now duhhh :ahee: :lol:

Edit: Man Utd are ****ed this season as long as LVG is in charge of us so i wouldn't have any hope for us tbh....our dreams always get crushed this season :frown:
I couldn't give a **** who wins the league if its not United. Regardless of LVG, if he gets fired at the end of the season, we still want to be the CL for next season. If Arsenal don't win, City are most likely too anyway so hardly preferable.
Original post by Fizzel

I couldn't give a **** who wins the league if its not United. Regardless of LVG, if he gets fired at the end of the season, we still want to be the CL for next season. If Arsenal don't win, City are most likely too anyway so hardly preferable.

I would rather City/Leicester won it than Arsenal tbh....it's just absolutely hilarious seeing the Arsenal fans disappointed year after year :lol: .

We won't get top 4 unfortunately, this is something a lot of Man Utd fans are starting to realise.....especially seeing as the board won't sack him! We are totally ****ed :lol:

Edit: I mean come on the team we played against Sheffield Utd was almost the same team we used in the champions league vs Wolfsburg....and we won due to a penalty in the 94th minute against a team 47 places below us....do you honestly think we will make top 4 like this? Utterly embarrassing if you ask me, dreadful.

Also in our last 11 games @ Old Trafford the half time scores look like binary code legit.....we have not scored a single goal :rofl: It just gets worse and worse...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
Even that outcome wouldn't be too bad for us so long as we do okay in our other games. Games like Liverpool-Leicester or Spurs-Leicester are good games for us. Quite tragic but a Leicester crumble is probably our best and most likely avenue of success, but we will still need to improve back to more like our pre Dec form.

As has been pointed out, your points per game under Klopp at the moment is no different. You'll need to pick up another 10 odds points for a top 4 spot at the moment.

Yeah true. Spurs concern me at the moment though.
It's a shame because I'm really glad to see Leicester do so well, but you have 4 teams realistically going for 3rd/4th so unfortunately they have to lose for us to get what we need.
Would be so gutting if United got 3rd and Spurs beat us to 4th.

I don't think it's fair to criticise Klopp for that (although on the other hand, he has a LOT more leeway that Rodgers due to his pass success).
Coming in to a struggling club with £0 to spend and getting injury after injury like we have? What is a manager meant to do with that?
Yeah his points totals aren't much better but lets not forget that we beat both City and Chelsea at their own grounds. It's interesting because under Rodgers we were embarrassing against rivals and decent against the rest of the league. It seems to have completely reversed under Klopp (although I still don't expect much in the next 2 games).

I think the issue Klopp has is that this is an amazing opportunity for us to get CL football again, so he'll be pushed to spend this month. However if you buy in January, you're always gonna pay over the odds and it'll normally take a while for your new player to get used to English football.
It's gonna be a real struggle for us to get top 4. Regardless of how poor United's football is, you have a much better chance especially if Rooney starts doing his job.
Spurs are an excellent and efficient side. It seems farcical we turned our nose up at signing Alli for £5m, when you see some of the turgid **** which we've recruited over the past 24 months. I'd have loved to have him in our engine room alongside Henderson, to be honest.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35277987

Ward becomes 5th player to be recalled from loan by us. Seems to get praised by Aberdeen fans. Hopefully not another **** GK for us.
I'll take Ward as an option for sure. I'd even take Vigouroux at this stage, to be honest. He has questionable temperament and professionalism, but he is a decent shot-stopper for Swindon and anything beats relying on Bogdan.
When Mackay and mr tim start swearing, you know things are bad...
Original post by Lúcio
When Mackay and mr tim start swearing, you know things are bad...

Haha do I not swear a lot? Reckon I do IRL.

Never seen mr tim swear, though. You're bang on about that.
Original post by Mackay
Haha do I not swear a lot? Reckon I do IRL.

Never seen mr tim swear, though. You're bang on about that.

Nah not really - you're both pretty in control and to the point. The majority of the best posters on here seldom swear to be honest.
Original post by Lúcio
Nah not really - you're both pretty in control and to the point. The majority of the best posters on here seldom swear to be honest.

well it is an intellectual deterrent

Latest