The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
well it is an intellectual deterrent

So is finishing 1 on 1's on pro clubs evidently!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn Malik
So is finishing 1 on 1's on pro clubs evidently!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that a rek on me or Luce :frown:
Original post by difeo
Is that a rek on me or Luce :frown:

It was meant for Puke but I suppose it applies to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn Malik
It was meant for Puke but I suppose it applies to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you!!!
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Yeah, and when they're gone, Douglas-Coman are the replacements. No chance Bayern sell Thiago and he isn't competing with Gotze for a place usually anyway.

If Gotze is available, you sign him. No questions asked. Our 'Ozil moment' as Jam says. And he's far better than our current AMs. In the right system he'd be good enough to make our other problems disappear, like Suarez used to.

Having had another think about this, I think I have to agree. Was listening to TAW and they were pointing out that we have a lot of "good" players but no "excellent/star quality" players. The only potentials would be Sturridge and Coutinho but the former is always injured and the latter hasn't shown it consistently yet.

When Rafa built a side in a piecemeal manner, he always had Gerrrard as his match winner who could always produce something special to win games. No one in our side we can rely on for that.

The only downside to Gotze is that it would add another one of these similar type players that we have at the moment - the Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Milner, Allen etc etc

Anyway let's see if we can do any transfer business which helps our first team now..
Original post by Zerforax
The only downside to Gotze is that it would add another one of these similar type players that we have at the moment - the Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Milner, Allen etc etc

How are Gotze and Milner similar? Genuinely curious to know your thinking here.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
How are Gotze and Milner similar? Genuinely curious to know your thinking here.

Don't get me wrong, Gotze is faster/has better dribbling/is a better player than Milner but it's another attacking player who's versatile, intelligent, not huge in size/build (even if Milner is pretty bulky and strong these days), not searing pace etc

He'll be able to beat his man 1 vs 1 but we often have teams sitting deep against us which means less space to dribble and then he'd be better if we had other different players around him? Do you not think Coutinho suffers a similar problem currently?

I guess I'd expect us to sell someone similar (probably Lallana) if we were upgrading to Gotze.
Reply 3527
Original post by mr tim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35277987

Ward becomes 5th player to be recalled from loan by us. Seems to get praised by Aberdeen fans. Hopefully not another **** GK for us.

Well that pretty much spells the end for Bogdan then doesn't it. Ruthless from Klopp
Original post by cBay
Well that pretty much spells the end for Bogdan then doesn't it. Ruthless from Klopp

The Watford clanger is a bit unfair on Bogdan - yes he shouldn't have dropped the catch first but Ake does kick the ball out of Bogdan's hands.

The Exeter miss was horrendously bad though. Ward to start in the Exeter replay game?
Reply 3529
The Watford clanger is a bit unfair on Bogdan - yes he shouldn't have dropped the catch first but Ake does kick the ball out of Bogdan's hands.

The Exeter miss was horrendously bad though. Ward to start in the Exeter replay game?

Probably yea.. there were rumours that Mignolet is injured but apparently untrue
Toure, Henderson and Ibe back v Arsenal. Sakho could be back, Lovren could be back v Utd.
Original post by cBay
Probably yea.. there were rumours that Mignolet is injured but apparently untrue

I'd still rather start Mignolet against Arsenal and Man Utd.. be good for Ward to show what he can do so soon after being recalled. I wouldn't be adverse to him starting in our cup competitions?

Original post by mr tim
Toure, Henderson and Ibe back v Arsenal. Sakho could be back, Lovren could be back v Utd.

I think we'll get ripped apart in defence by Arsenal regardless of who we play. Toure's lack of pace is a worry but maybe we'll just shut up shop and have Can and Lucas sit deep with Henderson in front with a hardworking trio in front of Firmino, Ibe and Lallana?
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has also been discussing transfer targets in what could be a busy window for the Reds.

Goalkeeper Danny Ward is back from his loan at Aberdeen but Klopp says don't expect Brazilian forward Alexandre Pato at Anfield any time soon.

"It was an easy decision to recall Danny Ward," said Klopp.

"We watched his improvement at Aberdeen. It's a moment when we have to make decisions."

"My private advice to you is don't follow the Pato path any longer."

I feel better now..
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has also been discussing transfer targets in what could be a busy window for the Reds.

Goalkeeper Danny Ward is back from his loan at Aberdeen but Klopp says don't expect Brazilian forward Alexandre Pato at Anfield any time soon.

"It was an easy decision to recall Danny Ward," said Klopp.

"We watched his improvement at Aberdeen. It's a moment when we have to make decisions."

"My private advice to you is don't follow the Pato path any longer."

I feel better now..

The optimist in me feels like he's making those comments about Pato because we have somebody else looking likely to join very soon.
Original post by Lúcio
The optimist in me feels like he's making those comments about Pato because we have somebody else looking likely to join very soon.

I've not really see much January transfer window hype so far. Or am I too old and living under a rock these days?
I've not really see much January transfer window hype so far. Or am I too old and living under a rock these days?

I mean you are an old man but in fairness it's probably better not to follow anything unless it's reported on SSN or BBC Sport :tongue:

I think that Klopp would prefer to spend large sums in the summer but bear in mind that he's worked with these players for a few months now and he'll know what he needs (especially when you factor in our injuries).

Surely we'll get a first team player in at some point?
FA Cup Fourth Round if we progress:

West Ham at home :frown:
West Ham at home if we win v Exeter. Beaten us twice, we're possibly out.
Origi injury is worse than feared - he had a surgery on Friday and out for a month. A knee injury separate from Hamstring he suffered on Boxing day.
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't sound like Sakho will be available to start, though Kolo should be. Who will we partner him with? Maybe Lucas or Can, or look for Ilori in the hope that the game is played predominantly on the deck? Baptism of fire for him, though.

Origi out for a long while yet, but Henderson and Milner are back, and Clyne, A. Moreno, and Firmino will all return. So the outlook is much better than last Friday!

Latest