The Student Room Group

Psychology Personal Statement Trouble? What to Mention?

Hello,
Bit late, but I have had to completely re-do my personal statement due to a change in the courses I am applying for. I haven't done any real extra reading that isn't considered 'pop psychology' so I am having issues on the section of why I am interested in this subject. In all honestly, I got interested in the subject from comics and movies, researching the matter further to discover what was cliched in the media and then reading further on that topic. The main passion coming from Harley Quin and The Phantom of the Opera. The only other true thing that inspired me was my own depression/self harm and other students at my school that suffered from mental illnesses. I also really enjoy cognitive psychology. I am doing a Counselling Access course right now, so plenty to write about academically. I also have a few interesting hobbies. WW2 re-enacting and figure skating.
Finally, if I am very multi-cultured is there a point in mentioning it as it's not relevant to psychology?
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by TheRedSpaz
Hello,
Bit late, but I have had to completely re-do my personal statement due to a change in the courses I am applying for. I haven't done any real extra reading that isn't considered 'pop psychology' so I am having issues on the section of why I am interested in this subject. In all honestly, I got interested in the subject from comics and movies, researching the matter further to discover what was cliched in the media and then reading further on that topic. The main passion coming from Harley Quin and The Phantom of the Opera. The only other true thing that inspired me was my own depression/self harm and other students at my school that suffered from mental illnesses. I also really enjoy cognitive psychology. I am doing a Counselling Access course right now, so plenty to write about academically. I also have a few interesting hobbies. WW2 re-enacting and figure skating.
Finally, if I am very multi-cultured is there a point in mentioning it as it's not relevant to psychology?
Thank you!

You don't need to make everything in your personal statement directly relevant to your chosen course; that should only take a portion of the whole thing. How you got started on being interested in Psychology is fine because that is true to you; if you want to mention your self harm/depression, only do it in a positive light- saying that Psychology has/can allow you to understand them better. Also elaborate on why you enjoy cognitive psych, etc.

What sort of thing do you mean by "very multi-cultured"? Do you think that will make you sound 'good'? Include it if so.

There are loads of example personal statements in the TSR Personal Statement library that you can use to inspire yourself.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=3049-applying-to-uni
(edited 8 years ago)
extra reading that isn't considered 'pop psychology'

Can you give some examples? There are lots of excellent psychology books written for the general person which would be good to mention.

In all honestly, I got interested in the subject from comics and movies, researching the matter further to discover what was cliched in the media and then reading further on that topic. The main passion coming from Harley Quin and The Phantom of the Opera. The only other true thing that inspired me was my own depression/self harm and other students at my school that suffered from mental illnesses.

Not relevant. Do not include. Do you know what psychology is like at university?

I also really enjoy cognitive psychology. I am doing a Counselling Access course right now, so plenty to write about academically.

Good to include.

I also have a few interesting hobbies. WW2 re-enacting and figure skating.

Not relevant. Maybe include as one line if you must.

Psychology is very interested in other cultures. But what do you mean by "multi-cultured"? It may well not be relevant.
Reply 3
I've been reading psychology a level textbooks, ethical dilemma books -- Tarasoffv. Regents of the University of California case as I am interested in the realistic responsibilities a mental health professional takes on when seeing someone. By 'pop' I mean I have a massive interest for schema, mostly in context with Jean Piaget which is over used. Or even Erik Erikson's Psychosocial stages, as I enjoy the flexibility given to interpret each crisis in terms of your personal experiences. Yes, I have gone through the course structures for the unis I am applying to. Each touch on developmental psychology, Cognitive psychology, Research methods, the biological structure of the brain and common dilemmas in practice. Everything I looked up including ucas says a good way to start is by saying why you are interested in that subject and what sparked that interest. It started off as silly then moved on and I don't have a concrete reason why. In terms of culture, my father is German, I am American, my mother worked in Ethiopia for a good few years in which I spent time with her and when I was younger I attended a French school in which all subjects were taught in French. <-- This is the point where I don't want to sound like a self absorbed ****. I have spent a fair time in each place and learned a lot about social differences. Even ones as simple as how people say hello. I came to England having been around places it was socially acceptable to kiss strangers on the cheek or give them a family type hug. Everyone in my GCSE school around London thought I was just plain strange because of this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I've also read The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson, the tenth addition.
Focus on talking about the reading you've done and why it was interesting, but remember quality over quantity
I've been reading psychology a level textbooks, ethical dilemma books -- Tarasoffv. Regents of the University of California case as I am interested in the realistic responsibilities a mental health professional takes on when seeing someone.

Not heard of this. Is it ethics rather than psychology?

By 'pop' I mean I have a massive interest for schema, mostly in context with Jean Piaget which is over used. Or even Erik Erikson's Psychosocial stages, as I enjoy the flexibility given to interpret each crisis in terms of your personal experiences.

If you've read some Piaget that's worth mentioning. Not heard of Erikson - is that some Freudian stuff? Freud is not generally well thought of in psychology degrees in the UK.

I have spent a fair time in each place and learned a lot about social differences.

If you've lived in Germany, USA, Ethiopia and the UK that could be worth mentioning in terms of cultural differences. But if it's just you've visited them and can say a few words that's not relevant.

You could also pick out a particular area of psychology you are interested in and explain why (e.g. developmental, neuro, evolutionary or whatever).

Quick Reply

Latest