The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Manchester is a better city than London. I stand firmly behind that statement.

Bull**** I been in both cities. London is best city in the UK by far if you have the money to live there.
Aletico and Real Madrid both banned from registering players for the next two transfer windows.

https://twitter.com/fifamedia/status/687610242633469952

Of course they'll likely appeal and maybe get the summer transfer window to sort themselves out, but the final few weeks of this window could get very interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
What is it about Spanish clubs that make them break transfer rules?
Original post by shawn_o1
What is it about Spanish clubs that make them break transfer rules?
It's to do with "the international transfer of minors", ie. brining in youngsters from abroad to play for their youth teams.

There were rumours not long ago that Chelsea and Arsenal could face punishment for similar offences but we will see.
Was only a matter of time before that happened.

Think they would just not sign anybody in 2017 or something along those lines.
Barca's transfer ban was handed to them later on in the year (April IIRC?) so by the time they had appealed they ended up still having that summer window, for the Madrid clubs their appeal should be completed and a verdict reached before the summer, so you'd expect the transfer ban to be upheld for the summer 2016 window.

Could be some big transfers over the next two weeks.

EDIT: Yeah Barcelona received the ban in April, but a verdict wasn't reached on the appeal until August so they still got the summer window.
(edited 8 years ago)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35313998

Spanish giants Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been banned from registering players for the next two transfer windows.

Guess it's time for Barcelona to buy up all the Spanish talent..
Original post by jam277
Bull**** I been in both cities. London is best city in the UK by far if you have the money to live there.

Lived in Manchester for five years, lived in London for three. The former beats the latter for me. Just my personal preference.
It's true in the sense that there's not many people who have the money to afford to enjoy London, but live somewhere like Leeds or Manchester and you can live affluently off a £35-40k salary and get a big city feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nickini
It's to do with "the international transfer of minors", ie. brining in youngsters from abroad to play for their youth teams.

There were rumours not long ago that Chelsea and Arsenal could face punishment for similar offences but we will see.

I am sure that many European clubs are guilty of this and they should all receive similar punishment. I have heard of clubs circumventing rules by bringing the family over, buying them a house and getting parents a job, so they can claim the family has moved over together and not just the youngster for football.

I'm not sure many will respond as well as Barca considering they won the treble and 5/6 available trophies in the calendar year.
Original post by jam277
Ashley Cole would be considered a true star, as would Nemanja Vidic? Maybe not as many top quality attackers as the spanish league, but then the premier leagues history never has been based on that. It's mainly been based on counter attacking teams and solid defences. United and Chelsea over the years have had a lot of success being very solid defensively and springing teams on the counter. Liverpool have had varying levels of success, but they were known as being quite good defensively in europe too.
Cole and Vidic stars? Really? Not in a million years. They'll never be remembered in the annals of history (rightly or wrongly, because being a star or an icon isn't equivalent to being the best player) like even their contemporaries Cannavaro, Puyol, Lahm, Alves and more.
You also have the issue that the prem involves a lot more fairness in the actual league in terms of money distribution so it is harder for a team to dominate like Barcelona, Madrid have done and Bayern as well.

Madrid haven't dominated at all in their league, so I'm not sure why you'd include them. And despite not doing so well in the league, they've consistently hit the semis of the CL, and won it, and produced internationally known players (furthering their legacy and reputation, which is what the crucial point is, when looking at recruitment of players).
Plus anyway there was a point where the top English teams were better than the likes of Barcelona and the Madrid teams. It's a cycle. You had the Italians dominant in the 90s and early 2000s, you then had us in the mid 2000s, now you have the 3 spanish clubs doing very well in europe.

Football works in cycles man. You can see Serie A is starting to revive itself after the problems of the calciopoli scandal e.g. and the premier league.
Cyclical only because of money. In the 80s and 90s it was the Italians breaking the transfer record, bringing over the Brazilian stars and splashing huge fees on players. The fees for Inzaghi, Vieri, Crespo, Buffon in the early part of this decade, and Maradona, Milan's three Dutchmen, Vialli, Papin, Ronaldo earlier were the driving force behind their success.

Similarly, we came to power soon after United started spending big, and Chelsea became the richest club in the world, with Liverpool punching above their weight thanks to Rafa (but being unable to continue to do that, as soon as funds dried up).

Barca getting Messi through their academy was a gamechanger, but as soon as they started spending more (Villa, Chygrynsky, Alves) and Madrid got Florentino back, the Spanish returned to the forefront again.

In the long term, money = success. Say what you want about cycles of success but those cycles directly correlate to spending power.
You then also include tactics and styles of play evolving from various leagues and the teams from other leagues trying to copy that style. Matter of fact is that the players are not good enough and tactically the managers are getting outdone.

I'm not sure what your overall point was really?
London is spectacular if you're rich
Original post by Zayn Malik
Location is the single most important factor when choosing between big clubs aside from money. As a foreigner (theoretically), I'd 100% join a London club over a Manchester one if wages were the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No need for the "theoretically" pal
Original post by difeo
No need for the "theoretically" pal

Racist!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Icecream1
I am sure that many European clubs are guilty of this and they should all receive similar punishment. I have heard of clubs circumventing rules by bringing the family over, buying them a house and getting parents a job, so they can claim the family has moved over together and not just the youngster for football.

I'm not sure many will respond as well as Barca considering they won the treble and 5/6 available trophies in the calendar year.
Wouldn't be at all surprised, the rumour I was referring to specifically mentioned Chelsea and Arsenal alongside the Madrid clubs so there might actually be something there. Would actually sort of welcome it as a Chelsea fan, means we'd be forced to give some of our youth/loan army a chance.

Thing is because of the timing of the ban and the length of the appeal process Barca had a whole summer window to prepare which they did at great expense with Suarez, Rakatic, Bravo etc., contributing significantly to their success. The Madrid clubs may not get this luxury.

Barca were still able to sign two quality players in Turan and Vidal despite the fact they couldn't even be registered, you'd think Real Madrid would be able to make similar deals but I think Aletico (and hypothetically Chelsea/Arsenal) would struggle to pull of a similar feat.

I don't think Atletico or Real will suffer massively because of this though, they both have fantastic squads already. A transfer ban for RM may not even be a bad thing, would stop Perez's constant tinkering.

quiet u indian
Original post by difeo
quiet u indian

forgot manlet
Original post by Nickini
Wouldn't be at all surprised, the rumour I was referring to specifically mentioned Chelsea and Arsenal alongside the Madrid clubs so there might actually be something there. Would actually sort of welcome it as a Chelsea fan, means we'd be forced to give some of our youth/loan army a chance.

Thing is because of the timing of the ban and the length of the appeal process Barca had a whole summer window to prepare which they did at great expense with Suarez, Rakatic, Bravo etc., contributing significantly to their success. The Madrid clubs may not get this luxury.

Barca were still able to sign two quality players in Turan and Vidal despite the fact they couldn't even be registered, you'd think Real Madrid would be able to make similar deals but I think Aletico (and hypothetically Chelsea/Arsenal) would struggle to pull of a similar feat.

I don't think Atletico or Real will suffer massively because of this though, they both have fantastic squads already. A transfer ban for RM may not even be a bad thing, would stop Perez's constant tinkering.

Chelsea did alright with Kakuta?

Yeah, Barca were fortunate with timing. They did well in signing Turan and Vidal, the selling clubs knowing they could try to get a higher fee but ultimately the lure to join is greater than the downside of missing half a season.

Atletico should be ok with a decent, young squad. It will be interesting to see how Real get on, Zidane having the same squad as Rafa. I agree it could work for them, bringing squad stability instead of chopping and changing.

I don't think Ronaldo or Benzema will leave in the summer now, before the ban I thought they would be leaving.
Valencia beat Granada 7-0 over two legs, so Gary Neville's in the CDR last eight.

Atleti, Valencia, Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Celta Vigo, Las Palmas and second-division Mirandes are remaining.

Latest