The Student Room Group

Bill aiming to ban child marriages shot down in Pakistan as ‘anti-Islamic’.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mil88
Well done mate, isn't it an coincidence how you only quoted from 1 sect? So, what do other muslims say? Try to provide authentic hadiths from more sects, if that's not too much.
Maybe you should produce your authentic and reliable Shia hadith that show her to be 19 (or whatever) at marriage or consummation, rather than just dismissing 90% of Muslims as "Not True Muslims", and insisting that your tiny minority sect has the only correct interpretation and scripture.
Reply 41
As long as they are developed and they have the choice to get married I don't care
Reply 42
Im a product of a forced marriage. My mother was forced into marriage when she was just turned 15. She lived in the UK, was a bright student, loved school and had vast dreams ,however her parents were very strict. She was taken by her parents to Pakistan one time where her marriage took place with my father, who was MUCH older. She had NO say in the marriage, she explicitly said she did not want to get married but to no avail, my father came from a very rich and VERY politically strong family in the region and her parents would not have it any other way. After her marriage, her parents left her in a country where she did not know the language, lived in the remote part of the region, did not have any friends, my father would leave her and come back home at about 1am. Her dreams of education and becoming something were just a dream. By the time she was 16 she had already had her first child. Ive come across many people who have had this sort of idea that arranged marriages are better than 'love marriages' because they don't apparently 'complicate' things of whatever that means (makes no sense). However, my father and mother were just INCOMPATIBLE. He didn't love her at ALL. Needed no emotional support or love but only came to her when he wanted to get physical basically. My father has a LARGE temper, he goes CRAZY over anything and everything. Fast forward to today, my father has NEVER kissed me he has never even hugged me in my entire life. My mother had to stay in the marriage, she couldn't leave because he would threaten her etc (Too long to go into detail). Forced marriages dont just effect the individual, it has MUCH MORE broad effects on generations that come after. I have never been kissed by my father nor hugged. The only thing my father has ever talked to me about it my grades (and this isn't a joke). I've never had a relationship with him, I've never known what it feels like to actually have a father. I think its much more toxic staying in such a marriage for everyone but also I think its much more toxic having a father present and not feeling loved than having him not present. My father is traditional, never takes no for an answer, wants his way, he's abused me and hit my mother infront of me. He had the security of his sheer political power. The only thing my father gives me, is money. Which of course I'm Thankful for but at the end of the day, money can't replace genuine love and care. Another girl who used to study with me, was also recently forced into marriage with a man much older than her. She was told that she'd be killed if she didn't marry him and so that is her life. No choices, no say. Just to produce offspring.

Here in Pakistan, I'm just one of the MANY young women standing up for the rights of females in the country. You dont hear about us, but we are working tirelessly to help and bring change. Luckily, I've just started working with the parliament in Pakistan and will be able to look into this very bill and the challenges from a very personal lens. At the end of the day the only thing I can ask from everyone, the international community is support, because that is what we need most. Only either a person who has been forced into marriage or the offspring/directly effected people can understand just how bad this is. So I think rather than debating whether it is right or wrong, how about you actually do something, to whoever wants to make a difference.
Reply 43
Original post by al_94
As long as they are developed and they have the choice to get married I don't care

So in other words you support child marriage provided they are not children?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
So in other words you support child marriage provided they are not children?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suspect when he says 'developed' he means 'reached puberty'
Original post by BaconandSauce
I suspect when he says 'developed' he means 'reached puberty'

If they are bleeding, they are good for breeding... Or something like that.
Reply 46
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
Some guy did the calculations and calculated that she was at least 17.
So, "some guy's" calculations are now more reliable than the sahih hadith of Bukhari and Muslim? Does this apply to all their hadith where current knowledge shows scripture to be flawed?

Anyway there is no account from the Prophet (SAW) and the Sahabahs (RA) on what age she was upon marriage.
But there are several from Aisha herself.
Original post by BobbyFlay

Yep.
Original post by BobbyFlay

if there are not bleeding, they will after the first night :colone:
Original post by mil88
So what? If there's a majority that believe something, then that doesn't mean it's correct. Trust me, I know a lot regarding hadiths. Anyway, are you seriously saying that the sole reason why you ignored the age of Aisha being 20 or above simply because it's a minority view. (And apparently theists are irrational and illogical).

Regarding Saudi Arabia, I'm not sure whether that's really a country which represents all muslims. Anyway, we do not follow countries, rather we aim to follow authentic hadiths that agree with the most authentic source of all, The Quran.

i was saying via any logical approach to historical readings, all points to her actual age being 9. there are sahih hadith stating she liked to play with dolls for example. it seems you are searching for the most obscure source possible to affirm a belief you already hold. you think that is 'logical'?

i mentioned not only saudi but all nations run on islamic laws of governance. your stance seems to be all islamic institutions, law makers and pssibly 1000 year old traditions within the islamic world are all not actually islamic - just because you yourself dont like them

you can not like those traditions and denounce them ( as others do) but be honest about them ie that you are actually not happy with some islamic traditions and would like reform in the modern islamic world, instead of creating a laughable smokescreens about aisha being 20 years old etc.)
(edited 8 years ago)
The bill to prohibit underage marriages has been withdrawn after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) declared it un-Islamic.

My reaction to the loathesome and inevitable excuses and nothing to do with Islamsisms

Original post by Ruby17
Im a product of a forced marriage. My mother was forced into marriage when she was just turned 15. She lived in the UK, was a bright student, loved school and had vast dreams ,however her parents were very strict. She was taken by her parents to Pakistan one time where her marriage took place with my father, who was MUCH older. She had NO say in the marriage, she explicitly said she did not want to get married but to no avail, my father came from a very rich and VERY politically strong family in the region and her parents would not have it any other way. After her marriage, her parents left her in a country where she did not know the language, lived in the remote part of the region, did not have any friends, my father would leave her and come back home at about 1am. Her dreams of education and becoming something were just a dream. By the time she was 16 she had already had her first child. Ive come across many people who have had this sort of idea that arranged marriages are better than 'love marriages' because they don't apparently 'complicate' things of whatever that means (makes no sense). However, my father and mother were just INCOMPATIBLE. He didn't love her at ALL. Needed no emotional support or love but only came to her when he wanted to get physical basically. My father has a LARGE temper, he goes CRAZY over anything and everything. Fast forward to today, my father has NEVER kissed me he has never even hugged me in my entire life. My mother had to stay in the marriage, she couldn't leave because he would threaten her etc (Too long to go into detail). Forced marriages dont just effect the individual, it has MUCH MORE broad effects on generations that come after. I have never been kissed by my father nor hugged. The only thing my father has ever talked to me about it my grades (and this isn't a joke). I've never had a relationship with him, I've never known what it feels like to actually have a father. I think its much more toxic staying in such a marriage for everyone but also I think its much more toxic having a father present and not feeling loved than having him not present. My father is traditional, never takes no for an answer, wants his way, he's abused me and hit my mother infront of me. He had the security of his sheer political power. The only thing my father gives me, is money. Which of course I'm Thankful for but at the end of the day, money can't replace genuine love and care. Another girl who used to study with me, was also recently forced into marriage with a man much older than her. She was told that she'd be killed if she didn't marry him and so that is her life. No choices, no say. Just to produce offspring.

Here in Pakistan, I'm just one of the MANY young women standing up for the rights of females in the country. You dont hear about us, but we are working tirelessly to help and bring change. Luckily, I've just started working with the parliament in Pakistan and will be able to look into this very bill and the challenges from a very personal lens. At the end of the day the only thing I can ask from everyone, the international community is support, because that is what we need most. Only either a person who has been forced into marriage or the offspring/directly effected people can understand just how bad this is. So I think rather than debating whether it is right or wrong, how about you actually do something, to whoever wants to make a difference.

Thanks for sharing. Is that you in your profile pic? Are you muslim?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending