The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by DanielleZ
Hi!

Has anyone else got offered a place at The Royal Veterinary College in London to study Bioveterinary Science (starting September 2016)?

If so what was your offer? Which accommodation are you thinking of? How are you going to finance living in London? What career do u want to go down?

I personally am planning to study veterinary medicine after completion of the bioveterinary science degree 😊

Hi! I also have an offer to study Bioveterinary Science at the RVC, got an offer of ABB with an A in Biology. I really don't know about accommodation, I am worried about living in London so was looking for advice on the matter! Would you let me know if you find out anything? I think more assurance on accommodation would possibly help me to decide. Also considering Lincoln because it would be so much cheaper to live up there!

I'm not entirely sure about what career to go down, would love to research diseases but leaving it a little bit open to further consideration! I think a lot of people take this course so that they can go on to do veterinary medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, my offer is BBB cause i do two sciences at A Level. I actually went to an open day at Lincoln but i didnt like it cause i think it was a lot more research based but if u want to look at disease research then u might really like it.
The london campus is 1 hour journey time on the train to my house, so I was planning to come home maybe every Sunday or something. Save a bit of money on food etc. But yer London is really expensive. RVC is such a good uni though! So i have put as my firn with Aberystwyth as my insurance.

Just need my A Levels now!
Reply 3
Hi!

Has anyone else got offered a place at The Royal Veterinary College in London to study Bioveterinary Science (starting September 2016)?

If so what was your offer? Which accommodation are you thinking of? How are you going to finance living in London? What career do u want to go down?

I personally am planning to study veterinary medicine after completion of the bioveterinary science degree 😊

I've been offered a place at RVC for Bioveterinary Science! BB in two sciences from biology, chemistry or physics, at the minute i think it will be my firm and Aber my insurance but waiting to go on open days in March/April. Have you been on an open day at RVC? :smile:
Reply 4
I booked one but couldnt go last minute. I did the virtual tour and that looked great. I went to Aber and fell in love with the location. But RVC is a better uni and I would want to stay there to do Vet Med after.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys, I'm a first year vet at the RVC right now so if any of you have any questions about the RVC I'll do my best to answer them :smile:
Reply 6
I booked one but couldnt go last minute. I did the virtual tour and that looked great. I went to Aber and fell in love with the location. But RVC is a better uni and I would want to stay there to do Vet Med after.

Aber seems so peaceful and completely different to London, but I get what you mean about RVC! I've thought about vet med, but as I'd be applying as a post-grad the fees would just be unaffordable in the UK! I think RVC have an accelerated vetmed programme haven't they? I'd like to go into research I think :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi guys, I'm a first year vet at the RVC right now so if any of you have any questions about the RVC I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Hi, yes I have lots of questions! What's it like to find accommodation in London as I'm guessing due to the small number of university accommodation most students have to find it privately? Is it expensive to live in London? Do you feel safe in such a big city? What course are you doing, is it difficult and how much support do you get from the lecturers? Any opinions on the uni and London as a whole would be amazing! Thank you!
Original post by Al1ce
Hi, yes I have lots of questions! What's it like to find accommodation in London as I'm guessing due to the small number of university accommodation most students have to find it privately? Is it expensive to live in London? Do you feel safe in such a big city? What course are you doing, is it difficult and how much support do you get from the lecturers? Any opinions on the uni and London as a whole would be amazing! Thank you!

Hi, sorry for the late response! I didn't get a notification for some reason.

In terms of accommodation you needn't worry at all. There's plenty of places and all first years are guaranteed a place as long as you submit your forms on time (I didn't- and still got a place). The only people I'm aware of that rent privately are second years and beyond.

In terms of expense, well London is known to be expensive but you'll get a higher loan to compensate. RVC also have bursaries to the tune of several thousand pounds that you may be entitled to. Rent is around £8000 per year. Food depends on how frugal you are but I get by on £15/week and I'm not at risk of wasting away any time soon :wink: . A main thing that might be an issue however is transport if you live in one of the accommodations. College Grove and Mary Branker are fine (walking distance to college), but Emily Bowes is in Tottenham about 40 minutes away by train (at rush hour! At quieter times it's much nice, about 25 minutes). My flatmates are divided but I'm adamant that the cheapest way to travel is getting a zone 2-3 travelcard which is £65.30 per month with a student Oyster card.

In terms of safety, I grew up in London and have never known any different, but I feel safer in Camden/Tottenham than where I grew up :tongue: Royal College Street is reasonably quiet. The truth is that in all cities if you want trouble, you can find it. Obviously you have to have some common sense but I regularly walk around by myself at night with headphones in and I'm not fazed at all :tongue: Is there anything particular you're worried about? :smile:

I'm on BVetMed (although I live with a BioVet so I can ask her if you have any specific questions). I don't find it difficult conceptially; the struggle comes in managing the workload. Lecturers are very approachable, they're always available to ask questions to at the end of lectures, plus they always give their emails out in case we thing of anything else to ask after. I'm not sure if this is the case for BioVets, but after each 'strand' (topic), vets have a clinic session where we have an hour timetabled with lecturers to ask any questions on that subject. For bigger projects (for example essays), we're supported by tutors. Students are in tutor groups of about 6 people and I've found my tutor to be quite helpful and quick to respond to emails.

Opinions as a whole: I really, really struggled to pick my university (hence the late accom forms, I initially had RVC as my insurance choice and then changed my mind), but I'm absolutely confident that I made the right decision. I am so happy to be here and we have so much to offer the students :biggrin: I'm proud to call myself an RVC student :biggrin: There's no better place to be a student than London; everything is super convenient and there's so much to do! Being a part of the university of London is a real benefit, especially if you want to do a sports/club which isn't offered at the RVC, and there are ample opportunities to meet people at other universities. There was an anatomy pub quiz with King's and UCL the other day but there's tonnes of non vetty stuff too :wink:

Hope that answered your questions, let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi, sorry for the late response! I didn't get a notification for some reason.

In terms of accommodation you needn't worry at all. There's plenty of places and all first years are guaranteed a place as long as you submit your forms on time (I didn't- and still got a place). The only people I'm aware of that rent privately are second years and beyond.

In terms of expense, well London is known to be expensive but you'll get a higher loan to compensate. RVC also have bursaries to the tune of several thousand pounds that you may be entitled to. Rent is around £8000 per year. Food depends on how frugal you are but I get by on £15/week and I'm not at risk of wasting away any time soon :wink: . A main thing that might be an issue however is transport if you live in one of the accommodations. College Grove and Mary Branker are fine (walking distance to college), but Emily Bowes is in Tottenham about 40 minutes away by train (at rush hour! At quieter times it's much nice, about 25 minutes). My flatmates are divided but I'm adamant that the cheapest way to travel is getting a zone 2-3 travelcard which is £65.30 per month with a student Oyster card.

In terms of safety, I grew up in London and have never known any different, but I feel safer in Camden/Tottenham than where I grew up :tongue: Royal College Street is reasonably quiet. The truth is that in all cities if you want trouble, you can find it. Obviously you have to have some common sense but I regularly walk around by myself at night with headphones in and I'm not fazed at all :tongue: Is there anything particular you're worried about? :smile:

I'm on BVetMed (although I live with a BioVet so I can ask her if you have any specific questions). I don't find it difficult conceptially; the struggle comes in managing the workload. Lecturers are very approachable, they're always available to ask questions to at the end of lectures, plus they always give their emails out in case we thing of anything else to ask after. I'm not sure if this is the case for BioVets, but after each 'strand' (topic), vets have a clinic session where we have an hour timetabled with lecturers to ask any questions on that subject. For bigger projects (for example essays), we're supported by tutors. Students are in tutor groups of about 6 people and I've found my tutor to be quite helpful and quick to respond to emails.

Opinions as a whole: I really, really struggled to pick my university (hence the late accom forms, I initially had RVC as my insurance choice and then changed my mind), but I'm absolutely confident that I made the right decision. I am so happy to be here and we have so much to offer the students :biggrin: I'm proud to call myself an RVC student :biggrin: There's no better place to be a student than London; everything is super convenient and there's so much to do! Being a part of the university of London is a real benefit, especially if you want to do a sports/club which isn't offered at the RVC, and there are ample opportunities to meet people at other universities. There was an anatomy pub quiz with King's and UCL the other day but there's tonnes of non vetty stuff too :wink:

Hope that answered your questions, let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:

Hi, that's ok! Thanks for replying!

So, just to clear things up, first year accomodation is guaranteed and it's owned/run by RVC? Are the places you mentioned halls of residence? I am kind of confused as I understood that RVC only has very few beds to allocate, therefore what I was most worried about and one of my majoy reservations about going there!

So you don't find the expense a big issue? If you don't mind me asking, do your family help to fund your studies or can you live entirely off of the loan or any burseries? I am struggling to find much information about funding from the RVC so am wary about running out of money!

I guess I'm just not used to being surrounded by so many people: I live in the countryside miles from the closest village so I think London may be a bit of a shock to me! However I am keen to explore such a different environment with all the experiences I could benefit from, I hope that doesn't sound naive!

It's great to hear that the lecturers are supportive, I am prepared to work hard in order to achieve however don't want to be continually stressed due to a huge work load!

It's reassuring to hear a first hand view of RVC, as you can probably tell I'm struggling to make my mind up: I'm hoping visiting my two favoured unis will give me more of an idea about which would be best for me.

Thank you very much for your help!
Original post by Al1ce
Hi, that's ok! Thanks for replying!

No worries! :smile:

So, just to clear things up, first year accomodation is guaranteed and it's owned/run by RVC? Are the places you mentioned halls of residence? I am kind of confused as I understood that RVC only has very few beds to allocate, therefore what I was most worried about and one of my majoy reservations about going there!

Yes, first year accommodation is guaranteed, but no it isn't owned by the RVC. It's owned by Unite, and that's who you'll pay rent to. The exception to this might be College Grove, the accommodation on-campus, but that's pretty much reserved for international students anyway. Mary Branker Hall is reserved purely for the RVC. Emily Bowes Court has students from many different universities, however RVC students all live in flats together. It's worth noting that if you live far away from London (as it sounds like you do), you're higher priority for your preferred accommodation. The majority of people end up at Mary B, it's only really people who were already from London that have ended up at Emmy B.

So you don't find the expense a big issue? If you don't mind me asking, do your family help to fund your studies or can you live entirely off of the loan or any burseries? I am struggling to find much information about funding from the RVC so am wary about running out of money!

No they don't, however I have a job now and I also started with some savings. HSBC gave me a £1000 overdraft as well which will really help, especially with putting down a deposit for accommodation next year.

I guess I'm just not used to being surrounded by so many people: I live in the countryside miles from the closest village so I think London may be a bit of a shock to me! However I am keen to explore such a different environment with all the experiences I could benefit from, I hope that doesn't sound naive!

It is a big change for a lot of people. At the end of the day city life isn't for everyone and that's fine, but I honestly don't feel unsafe here. I won't lie and say that there's no crime in London but accommodation and campus are really secure and as I say if you don't go looking for trouble you're not likely to run into any.

It's great to hear that the lecturers are supportive, I am prepared to work hard in order to achieve however don't want to be continually stressed due to a huge work load!

There are plenty of avenues for support if at any point you think you're floundering (for any reason! Work load, money issues, mental health...).

It's reassuring to hear a first hand view of RVC, as you can probably tell I'm struggling to make my mind up: I'm hoping visiting my two favoured unis will give me more of an idea about which would be best for me.

I think RVC do an 'offer holders day' a bit later in the year. That's definitely worth going to :smile:

Thank you very much for your help!

No problem at all. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Hi! Know this is an old post, but I'm hoping to study Bioveterinary Sciences at RVC starting in September.
My offer is two B's in either Biology, Chemistry or Maths.
Aiming for accommodation in College Grove or Mary B, does anyone know when they send out the accommodation packs? I've been checking my emails every day since the beginning of May just to see if they have sent it yet! :colondollar:
Have applied for student finance and hoping to get maybe a weekend or early morning job, depending on what time lectures start...
Career wise I'm really hoping that I can somehow combine research science with animal conservation.
I have loads of questions!! Is anyone taking the D301 with the work based placement in Year 3? Can you spend that year working abroad? What's the timetable for bioveterinary science like?

Good luck to everyone doing their a level exams right now! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending